Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17619080 times)

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #17350 on: October 01, 2018, 07:08:57 am »
Drinking more Tea.

Just ordered a Ebay BNC kelvin clip probe set for the DE-5000.

And got a couple of kelvin clip probes for my DMM's while I was at it.

I needed some cream for the tea.
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #17351 on: October 01, 2018, 08:10:32 am »
Got my eye on this. Tek T922. Is this the result of the unholy marriage between Tek and Telequipment? Certainly looks odd with the CRT on the "wrong" side so it must be British origin.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17352 on: October 01, 2018, 08:20:07 am »
That's a Tek special that one. Nothing to do with telequipment. It was Tek's economy line which ultimately supplanted TQ entirely when they realised they were working towards the same target. TQ got limped along for a bit by being in charge of most of the 22xx line at that point.

As for the wrong side, I noticed years ago that people get tied up knots because they were probing with their good hand (right) and trying to adjust stuff with their left at which point most of the time their arm is over the screen. Another user interface fail.

Edit: I wouldn't buy it. Might take valuable room up that can be filled with better scopes :D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:29:01 am by bd139 »

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #17353 on: October 01, 2018, 08:51:31 am »
I agree with you for model helicopters. One is enough. But for real ones (I can fly an AStar) the picture is unfair. The people owing a fleet should be pitied and not hit. I suggest a HFA (Helicopter Flying Addict) therapy group.
These bastards drain your wallet several times faster than a lot of T&M equipment. This is why I dont have even one. Sniff.

Dude... I drive a PT Cruiser. (The wife got the new Rav4)

I own 3 450-class collective-pitch helis and a couple dozen quads; what I have tied up in all of it costs less... WAY less... than just the re-certification inspection/paperwork on an R22. Anybody who can stake a fleet of ANY real rotary-wing craft gets zero pity from me.

That's not a hobby; it's a money-printing machine. For somebody who already has more money than they know what to do with. ;)

mnem

Model helis can be nice, too (DJI Phantom 4Pro ), but its not the same. The trick is to bring *me* in the air (120kg). R22 are suicidal in my weight class anyway. And the robbie cut has taken more pilots out than any other form of the Darwin award competions.   >:D
If you love your life, stay away from those.  :-
I came to that contusion after seeing what makes them tick closeup at a local flying club in San Antonio. The reference was just in response to seeing some of the club's paperwork on an R-22 time-shared by 6 members.  :o

I'd likelier build a human-size quadcopter or a non-gyro-stabilized hoverbike and ride it like Colin Firze. ;)

I fly acro quads... poorly. I'm a fan of freestyle; that's how I bring ME up in the air... at least until I win the lottery.  :-//

mnem
This is NOT me... but I can dream of being this smooth one day.

https://youtu.be/UvhLrgvfy0w

... and now for the *real* thing:

https://youtu.be/omQtw_VJjl4

or this:

https://youtu.be/qpg0iShxolc

Please dont try this at home.  :-DD
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:50:41 am by Wolfgang »

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17354 on: October 01, 2018, 09:00:13 am »
Oh now I want to go and buy flying things. You lot are such a bad influence  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #17355 on: October 01, 2018, 09:03:14 am »
Oh now I want to go and buy flying things. You lot are such a bad influence  :-DD
You need a proper SA/VNA first !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #17356 on: October 01, 2018, 09:15:32 am »
That's a Tek special that one. Nothing to do with telequipment. It was Tek's economy line which ultimately supplanted TQ entirely when they realised they were working towards the same target. TQ got limped along for a bit by being in charge of most of the 22xx line at that point.

Economy for sure. It's only 15Mhz response. Kinda sucko.

As for the wrong side, I noticed years ago that people get tied up knots because they were probing with their good hand (right) and trying to adjust stuff with their left at which point most of the time their arm is over the screen. Another user interface fail.

"good hand (right)". Surely you jest. I'm a lefty.  ;D

Edit: I wouldn't buy it. Might take valuable room up that can be filled with better scopes :D

I'm leaning towards that same conclusion. Not worth it.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17357 on: October 01, 2018, 09:17:23 am »
Got my eye on this. Tek T922. Is this the result of the unholy marriage between Tek and Telequipment? Certainly looks odd with the CRT on the "wrong" side so it must be British origin.  :-DD
Why is it a British thing? I don't know of any British scopes who's screen was on the right. We would put it central to be impartial Eh witness early Cosser scopes etc [emoji4]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #17358 on: October 01, 2018, 09:20:30 am »
Why is it a British thing? I don't know of any British scopes who's screen was on the right. We would put it central to be impartial Eh witness early Cosser scopes etc [emoji4]

I equated it (wrongly) to right hand drive. Guess it wasn't.

But you folks still drive on the wrong side of the road >:D :-DD

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17359 on: October 01, 2018, 10:08:40 am »
It's an old, neglected oscilloscope.  It needs your love and affection.  Only you can give it a forever home.  It does not matter that you have NO use for it.  What matters is that it needs You.  It will fill an aching hole in your heart.  (and a huge spot in your lab.) Just thing how much warmth you will feel in your heart hand  as you stroke and pet it every night as it looks at you with that big, soft glowing eye.   

FEED THE TEA.

>:D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:12:27 am by Housedad »

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17360 on: October 01, 2018, 10:16:52 am »
Oh, wait, this is the Test Equipment Anonymous thread.  I'm supposed to be helping you to NOT buy Equipment.

My bad.   8)

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17361 on: October 01, 2018, 10:27:15 am »
87V arrived.  :phew:

All good news. Firstly it is "very lightly used" which I expected but the condition is perfect. There are a couple of bits of dirt on the yellow holster but not from heavy use and no dinks at all. The meter itself is perfect. Probes and accessories are perfect.

What did I find on the back. Well this is interesting. Fluke don't sell meters with respectable calibration now so this has had a third party cal done and it's still in for over a month. The cal cert is with it and it was done by Honeywell Aerospace :-+ Still in its first cal cycle since new.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Ooh KFC for lunch. I'm such a chav.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17362 on: October 01, 2018, 10:31:16 am »

All good news. Firstly it is "very lightly used" which I expected but the condition is perfect. There are a couple of bits of dirt on the yellow holster but not from heavy use and no dinks at all. The meter itself is perfect. Probes and accessories are perfect.

What did I find on the back. Well this is interesting. Fluke don't sell meters with respectable calibration now so this has had a third party cal done and it's still in for over a month. The cal cert is with it and it was done by Honeywell Aerospace :-+ Still in its first cal cycle since new.

Provided you got it at the price you nabbed a bargain there. [emoji106]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17363 on: October 01, 2018, 10:34:15 am »
Was listed at £150. I had a £20 refund (free money) from paypal after they fucked something up so that worked out at £130. Going rate is £250-280 for one in similar condition so definitely a winner.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #17364 on: October 01, 2018, 10:42:42 am »
Was listed at £150. I had a £20 refund (free money) from paypal after they fucked something up so that worked out at £130. Going rate is £250-280 for one in similar condition so definitely a winner.
That really is a bargain! Nice one.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #17365 on: October 01, 2018, 12:01:37 pm »

The protective cover is still stuck over the display - wow.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17366 on: October 01, 2018, 12:20:53 pm »
Yep has been well looked after. As I'm on lunch now, and not "unwrap the mail and get back to work", the whole package:

Total steal.

Incidentally I am not sure that half the accessories belong to the TL175 kit ... seem to be random extras. Edit: they do - I am a dumbass and have worked it out.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 12:34:04 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #17367 on: October 01, 2018, 12:42:32 pm »
Yep has been well looked after. As I'm on lunch now, and not "unwrap the mail and get back to work", the whole package:

Total steal.

Incidentally I am not sure that half the accessories belong to the TL175 kit ... seem to be random extras. Edit: they do - I am a dumbass and have worked it out.

That is a total steal. You've been getting all the steals lately. Not fair...you gotta spread it around so all of us get some.  :-DD

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17368 on: October 01, 2018, 12:45:05 pm »
Hahaha I think my luck is up for a few months now  :-DD

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17369 on: October 01, 2018, 12:49:21 pm »

"SCOOP" buddy!

Nice 1  :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #17370 on: October 01, 2018, 01:08:33 pm »
It's an old, neglected oscilloscope.  It needs your love and affection.  Only you can give it a forever home.  It does not matter that you have NO use for it.  What matters is that it needs You.  It will fill an aching hole in your heart.  (and a huge spot in your lab.) Just thing how much warmth you will feel in your heart hand  as you stroke and pet it every night as it looks at you with that big, soft glowing eye.   

FEED THE TEA.

>:D

I have no problem with old. I have found over the years that old is better....much better. (If you catch my drift) >:D  ;D But I do have a problem with ugly. And that Tek is ugly. Even if I put a bag over it I won't touch it.  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17371 on: October 01, 2018, 01:12:03 pm »

I'm sure that I don't know what you mean! [Fx: Flounces out]

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17372 on: October 01, 2018, 01:17:43 pm »
How does it compare to the 867?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #17373 on: October 01, 2018, 01:25:39 pm »
Oh, wait, this is the Test Equipment Anonymous thread.  I'm supposed to be helping you to NOT buy Equipment.

My bad.   8)

That's the Title, not the Charter.   ;D

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17374 on: October 01, 2018, 01:29:31 pm »
How does it compare to the 867?

Will let you know when I get my hands on it for more than an hour or two. Currently in the bowels of an uninteresting non TEA related failure  :--

Plan is to compare the U1241C, 87V and BM867S objectively from a usage perspective.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf