Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16698173 times)

Robert763, factory and 127 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #12025 on: June 15, 2018, 08:05:57 am »
Yahoo, didn't Ebay buy their Auction side?

AFAIK no. They just shut it down. I think they only kept it for Yahoo Japan.

DPD just informed me that my 6237B will be arriving today. Then I can find out to what extent it is bust.

Actually running way ahead on software schedule (thanks to RabbitMQ being awesome) so have some time to burn. Never deliver a software product early or on time; people will expect it every time then!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12026 on: June 15, 2018, 08:08:27 am »
Yahoo, didn't Ebay buy their Auction side?

AFAIK no. They just shut it down. I think they only kept it for Yahoo Japan.

DPD just informed me that my 6237B will be arriving today. Then I can find out to what extent it is bust.

Actually running way ahead on software schedule (thanks to RabbitMQ being awesome) so have some time to burn. Never deliver a software product early or on time; people will expect it every time then!
Ain't that the truth🤣

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12027 on: June 15, 2018, 08:10:16 am »

Or isn't worth much.

Houdini well knew that. He used to quickly escape while hidden behind a small curtain, then sit on a chair reading a newspaper while the audience thought he was in difficulty.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12028 on: June 15, 2018, 08:19:35 am »
Yes indeed. My father never got that. He was forever chasing up people for days for invoices for 30 minutes work here and there because they perceive the value not in the change of state of the universe that was accomplished but the arbitrary cost divided by the time in which it took.

Even when I repair peoples laptops on and off now I will give a high estimate just to get paid the 50 quid or so I usually charge for 15 minutes aggregate of work done :-DD (and that’s cheap in this bit of London!)

TEA I run unlike a business. It’s for intellectual gain rather than financial so I’m happy that I get to fix something as the gain is just education and some engineering insight. If I make a financial loss there’s always another form of gain.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12029 on: June 15, 2018, 08:31:51 am »
TEA I run unlike a business. It’s for intellectual gain rather than financial so I’m happy that I get to fix something as the gain is just education and some engineering insight. If I make a financial loss there’s always another form of gain.
Its nice to do both, then its a win win  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12030 on: June 15, 2018, 08:34:16 am »
Yeah true. I'm going for break even. I've managed to kit myself out nicely with new kit like this so it's winning so far :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12031 on: June 15, 2018, 08:44:38 am »
I'm about half way through the training manual on the 3390 and I'm super impressed with its capabilities.

Problem I'm having now is deciding which other scope to part with, Iwatsu with its slightly bent vernier and delayed timebase shafts which all the time I've had, hasn't put a foot wrong, the Hitachi with the cursors and megazoom, likewise hasn't put a foot wrong, or the 1740A which has been trouble since I got it, performs really well though, is twice the bandwidth of the other two but last night the 2nd channel vertical vernier started to act like the 2nd channel vertical position control  :palm: decisions decisions  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12032 on: June 15, 2018, 09:08:20 am »
I would turd polish the 1740A and lose that. It's a time bomb of hybrids :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12033 on: June 15, 2018, 09:32:14 am »
I have to admit, I'm leaning towards that way already, I could sell the other boards I pulled from the donor one separately. I love the Iwatsu with its 4 channels and the Hitachi with its 3rd channel and also magazoom with cursors so the deck is stacked pretty heavily against the 1740A.

Or maybe all 3 of them and get another Philip 4 channel combiscope?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12034 on: June 15, 2018, 11:02:23 am »
This showed up yesterday....

Doesn't look like much but it's the PSU re-cap package for the 2465. I'll be doing the work when I have to take a furlough from work next month.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12035 on: June 15, 2018, 03:00:48 pm »
I like soldering in electrolytic caps. It's therapeutic.

Something that is NOT therapeutic however is some garages burning down round the corner from me. Been smoked out all afternoon and all the roads are closed. This has slowed my HP power supply delivery down considerably as indicated by stalking my DPD driver all day!  :--

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12036 on: June 15, 2018, 03:13:11 pm »
I like soldering in electrolytic caps. It's therapeutic.

Agreed, but re-capping the 2465 PSU is very extensive and time consuming. So I would prefer a big stretch of uninterrupted time to do it. The week of July 8 - 14 I have to take a mandatory unpaid furlough from work. That's perfect. It will be hot and humid outside and I hate the heat. So it will give me an excuse to stay inside in the A/C.  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12037 on: June 15, 2018, 03:21:52 pm »
Just keep your fingers crossed that road closures and smoke don't prevent DPD from making the delivery to you.

I like soldering in caps as well, very calming activity, but seeing as 3390 is only 10 years at best I think it warrants a re-cap just yet, would have thought its got at least another 10 years to go before its required given how little usage its had and will be getting in its future.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12038 on: June 15, 2018, 04:03:45 pm »
I'd leave the 3390. That's still in good territory.

The 6237 turned up and as expected it's in good condition but misbehaving. The +20V and +18V outputs are rammed at max rail voltage and the -20V is zero. Based on more than one supply being rammed, it'll be somewhere round the reference circuitry I reckon.

Quite surprisingly the date code on this is VERY late. It's actually circa 1991 looking at date codes which was right near EOL for these supplies before they were replaced with the E36xx series.

Will follow the excellent service manual and resolve this.

This is why I like these. Check out the engineering:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12039 on: June 15, 2018, 04:30:29 pm »
Found it already. 7.5V reference zener is kaputt, hosed, nuked, zonked.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12040 on: June 15, 2018, 04:40:56 pm »

did you say that just to provoke me?

you can take my 1740's when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

ps   ok....i would not say that around swmbo.....since she would not see a down side to the deal.

free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12041 on: June 15, 2018, 04:43:46 pm »
Good work, yes those are properly engineered and should last many years yet, love the analogue meters as well, makes it much easier to set the parameters.  I think with digital we all strive to be as near to perfect as it's possible to get,  even though it's not critical.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12042 on: June 15, 2018, 04:51:01 pm »

Hahahaha. That's quite a collection there. I did previously own a 1740A and did rather like it for ref ;)

Stuffed another bench power supply across the hole where the blown up zener was and guess what? Bloody works perfectly. Now mystery manual misprint makes it difficult to find out what the hell variety of zener this is. It's currently just a shorted zener with an HP part number is 1902-0650 which is apparently a 1N4353B. Hmm suspicious. Turns out after doing some googling it should read 1N5343B and the pairs of digits are transposed!  :palm: technical author failure. Fortunately RS stock for £2.27 inc delivery for 5. Be here Monday :D

One deadode:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12043 on: June 15, 2018, 04:56:44 pm »

ps   ok....i would not say that around swmbo.....since she would not see a down side to the deal.
I actually love using my 1740A, feels nice to the touch and is beautifully liad out. It has some very nice touches internally and some crap ones as well. The rotary switches are both a clever design and bad at the same time, clever but poorly executed as they wobble all over the place when operated putting flexing action onto the boards that they plug into. That said, once you know how, the whole scope can be quickly dismantled for servicing.

Major downsides are the hybrids and their sheer size and weight and that a factor that making me examine the longevity of mine in my collection.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12044 on: June 15, 2018, 05:23:10 pm »

I actually love using my 1740A, feels nice to the touch and is beautifully liad out. It has some very nice touches internally and some crap ones as well. The rotary switches are both a clever design and bad at the same time, clever but poorly executed as they wobble all over the place when operated putting flexing action onto the boards that they plug into. That said, once you know how, the whole scope can be quickly dismantled for servicing.

Major downsides are the hybrids and their sheer size and weight and that a factor that making me examine the longevity of mine in my collection.

yep.  they are easy to disassemble and that is a big plus.  but those post pin headers that connect the assemblies have gotten to be a source of annoyance.  unless you enjoy wigglin' boards every now and then to eliminate a jumping trace .

can't see a flaw in your logic.   but TEA is not logical.  some things you like just because you like 'em.
free range primate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12045 on: June 15, 2018, 05:31:47 pm »
The only HP scope I've used is the 180A. They were used  in IBM mainframe test in the mid 1970's before going to Tek 475's. I found the HP to be easy to use and decent but a lot of other techs thought they were junk

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12046 on: June 15, 2018, 05:36:37 pm »
I actually love using my 1740A, feels nice to the touch and is beautifully liad out. It has some very nice touches internally and some crap ones as well. The rotary switches are both a clever design and bad at the same time, clever but poorly executed as they wobble all over the place when operated putting flexing action onto the boards that they plug into.

Worst feature: abrading the PCB track as they are rotated.

Second worst feature: when reassembling, getting both the timebase knobs in the right position simultaneously.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12047 on: June 15, 2018, 05:43:09 pm »
I actually love using my 1740A, feels nice to the touch and is beautifully liad out. It has some very nice touches internally and some crap ones as well. The rotary switches are both a clever design and bad at the same time, clever but poorly executed as they wobble all over the place when operated putting flexing action onto the boards that they plug into.

Second worst feature: when reassembling, getting both the timebase knobs in the right position simultaneously.

and how about the lubricant that turned green and hard as a rock at about the 25 year mark?
free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12048 on: June 15, 2018, 05:43:33 pm »

Yes I would think abrading the tracks is a problem a scope that has been used a lot, thankfully, thats not mine, it is almost as good as new inside and you spot on with the timebase knobs/shafts they are a real pain  in the arse.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12049 on: June 15, 2018, 06:03:44 pm »

Yes I would think abrading the tracks is a problem a scope that has been used a lot, thankfully, thats not mine, it is almost as good as new inside and you spot on with the timebase knobs/shafts they are a real pain  in the arse.

maybe its an inherited trait.

in 1968 my old man was 'bout the only guy in the greater philly area to buy a racing green import called a "cortina".  what a piece of dog shit it was.  every morning before cranking it over he had to look underneath to see what had spontaneously fallen off it overnight.  the ford dealer never could make it right and finally took it back (he got a torino to replace the little green turd).

to this day he loves that damn cortina.

and I love my 1740 series scopes.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:06:53 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf