Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16700114 times)

shakalnokturn and 123 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #11975 on: June 14, 2018, 12:19:15 am »
Nice scope!  :-+ The Fluke/Phillips scopes are not all that common here and I have no experience with them.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11976 on: June 14, 2018, 12:27:45 am »
Neither do I, this was the only Fluke scope in the auction, the rest were Philips, 4Channels and went loads of money, which was what I really wanted but I bailed out when they got to £200 or else I might have been sucked into a bidding war when the red lust takes over. So I settled for 2 channel one and I'm happy, now to learn all about it.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #11977 on: June 14, 2018, 12:43:55 am »

mnem
Yes, you may touch it.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #11978 on: June 14, 2018, 02:28:06 am »
Wow that scope looks really clean, like new. It must not be drawing a lot of cooling air through the boards.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #11979 on: June 14, 2018, 03:23:03 am »

I love that PCB, so obsessively neat. If you had to fault find anything on that it would be a pleasure.

It's even got a locator grid silkscreened on it. Amazing.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11980 on: June 14, 2018, 05:03:13 am »
That is pretty neat looking inside. Is this bigger than you average analog scope? It looks like it from the front panel.

I do find it quite amusing how every electrolytic in the PSU is a different height.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11981 on: June 14, 2018, 06:46:49 am »
If you look carefully you will see that all the electrolytics have the same orientation as well.

Nice bit of kit  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11982 on: June 14, 2018, 07:51:17 am »
If you look carefully you will see that all the electrolytics have the same orientation as well.

Nice bit of kit  :-+
Yes, the more I look at this the more attention to detail it has been given jumps out at me. Two things however concern me, besides the need for expansion connections to be able to work on the boards live, 1st is it does get really warm and 2nd, because of the orientation of the caps I can't see what make they are.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11983 on: June 14, 2018, 08:08:07 am »
Getting warm is not really a problem. Anything from this era kicks off the heat well.

Small silver ones are Vishay/BC components electrolytics. Big ones look like Nippon Chemi-con or Nichicons or Panasonics. Hard to tell.

The small ones are complete bastards. They have no vents and tend to explode violently. Fortunately I've never seen one actually explode other than when I did it on purpose. Nor have I seen one leak.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11984 on: June 14, 2018, 08:12:22 am »
... because of the orientation of the caps I can't see what make they are.

Nippon Chemi-con. The oval negative markers and the little horizontal rectangles (actually supposed to be the Nippon Chemi-con shield I believe) are diagnostic. Once upon a time those would have been Philips (Mullard) branded.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11985 on: June 14, 2018, 08:15:08 am »
Getting warm is not really a problem. Anything from this era kicks off the heat well.

Small silver ones are Vishay/BC components electrolytics. Big ones look like Nippon Chemi-con or Nichicons or Panasonics. Hard to tell.

The small ones are complete bastards. They have no vents and tend to explode violently. Fortunately I've never seen one actually explode other than when I did it on purpose. Nor have I seen one leak.
Oh, so they are good makes, in that case and given the low usage of this, I don't think I will recap it, at least not for moment. I'm really pleased with it, going to replace the backup batteries today as its not retaining settings. In this case it's 2 x AAs and are used saving front panel settings, like focus etc etc as well as saved digital scans.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11986 on: June 14, 2018, 08:17:40 am »
... because of the orientation of the caps I can't see what make they are.

Nippon Chemi-con. The oval negative markers and the little horizontal rectangles (actually supposed to be the Nippon Chemi-con shield I believe) are diagnostic. Once upon a time those would have been Philips (Mullard) branded.
Yes, I was expecting to see lots of own brand parts being used but that's not the case I think.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11987 on: June 14, 2018, 08:42:06 am »
You can still get the Mullard/Philips ones now. Philips bought Mullard and then spun the components division off as BC Components. Then Vishay bought that and still sell them today. Much improved since the short-o-matic axial mullard/philips wankers. They're pretty good now. Got a few lying around. Different shade of blue now :D

Your scope was late Philips era; they branched out a bit then as they had sold off most of their component divisions.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:43:39 am by bd139 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #11988 on: June 14, 2018, 11:51:22 am »
You can still get the Mullard/Philips ones now. Philips bought Mullard and then spun the components division off as BC Components. Then Vishay bought that and still sell them today. Much improved since the short-o-matic axial mullard/philips wankers. They're pretty good now. Got a few lying around. Different shade of blue now :D

Time was when the Vishay brand was automatically assumed to mean high quality components.

If they've borged so many lower quality brands/plants/people, it does make it more difficult to unthinkingly recommend Vishay. I think the term is "brand dilution".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11989 on: June 14, 2018, 12:26:12 pm »
Yes agree there. I tend to read through them now. Vishay-Dale = yes. Vishay-Sprague = yes. Vishay-BC = yes. Vishay-wun-hung-lo = no.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11990 on: June 14, 2018, 12:50:25 pm »
And how the hell can we tell them apart,is there a colour code or what to tell which brand of Vishay we are dealing with?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11991 on: June 14, 2018, 01:18:02 pm »
Vishay good - smokeless

Vishay bad -  :-BROKE (and smoke)

:-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11992 on: June 14, 2018, 01:20:57 pm »
Vishay good - smokeless

Vishay bad -  :-BROKE (and smoke)

:-DD
Be really nice to ensure a smokeless zone by identifying Vishay bad before the  :-BROKE and smoke stage though  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11993 on: June 14, 2018, 01:24:34 pm »
Look at capacitor, find datasheet, see what it says.

Says at the top right what the old brand was: https://www.vishay.com/docs/42037/53d.pdf

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11994 on: June 14, 2018, 01:29:47 pm »
I guess I'll have to pull a board and look on the other side of the cap for anything that might give me a clue then because of the immense attention to detail they omitted user friendliness from that list by aligning all the caps with the negative side being visible only with everything intact, bastards  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11995 on: June 14, 2018, 03:26:33 pm »
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11996 on: June 14, 2018, 03:50:28 pm »

Yeah, I got one of them [emoji50]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #11997 on: June 14, 2018, 08:54:31 pm »
TEA Remission!?

After an exhaustive search for the word remission on this site, I only found a few occurrences of some beating some real and serious stuff (awesome, guys!) but nothing talking about TEA remission.

I was looking at buying some used test gear that I really didn't need for more money than I should be spending, but the deal fell through.  Telling my wife about the defeat (coincidentally the same day she gets a big bonus at work  :)) she actually suggested I just buy a new one.  (yeah, I know!  But that's not the strangest part of this story)

I actually told her, "Nah, I really don't even need it and probably wouldn't even use it too much right now."  There was a moment of silence as both of us were taken back by my utterance. She didn't even respond, and I think I saw some worry in her eyes as she walked away.

Is TEA Remission real?  Or do I now have some other affliction that is merely masking my TEA symptoms?  :scared:         

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11998 on: June 14, 2018, 09:01:33 pm »
TEA Remission!?

After an exhaustive search for the word remission on this site, I only found a few occurrences of some beating some real and serious stuff (awesome, guys!) but nothing talking about TEA remission.

I was looking at buying some used test gear that I really didn't need for more money than I should be spending, but the deal fell through.  Telling my wife about the defeat (coincidentally the same day she gets a big bonus at work  :)) she actually suggested I just buy a new one.  (yeah, I know!  But that's not the strangest part of this story)

I actually told her, "Nah, I really don't even need it and probably wouldn't even use it too much right now."  There was a moment of silence as both of us were taken back by my utterance. She didn't even respond, and I think I saw some worry in her eyes as she walked away.

Is TEA Remission real?  Or do I now have some other affliction that is merely masking my TEA symptoms?  :scared:         
Excellent start Bill.  :-+

Now you just need to play with her mind some more to make her think there's really something wrong.....a few shot replies, grunts, nods and that sort of thing in an effort to ensure she thinks a bit of a spend up will be good for your soul.  >:D
Then some small purchase/s that obviously cheer you up.....but only for a short while.....this you need manage with care while your setting the stage for what you really want and then go in for the kill !

Rinse and repeat.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11999 on: June 14, 2018, 09:21:13 pm »
It’s a trap!

I was having a discussion this evening. After the discussion about the thurlby power supplies the other day I decided I needed a new power supply. Not because these ones are inadequate but I’ve got a rather hefty contract pay off burning a hole in my pocket and itchy TEA fingers. So she says to me, why don’t you just buy a new one?

Hmmmmmm what will it really cost me?  :-\

Edit: I chickened out on buying the TTi 1908P DMM. I can’t find a single review or anyone who has one to play with. That’s a deal breaker for me.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:23:01 pm by bd139 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf