Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17496810 times)

GLouie and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #11675 on: June 05, 2018, 07:30:02 am »
Duracell have always been crap in this department. I remember my father having new Duracells leak in a camera flash in the early 90s. £500 flash even back then.

Out of thousands of them used, never seen a GP Ultra alkaline battery leak. Had one that was short and that was it.

Historically alkalines were the only choice for some applications as the rechargeables of the era would slowly discharge themselves. No so these days. Got stacks of LADDA cells from Ikea now. They're pretty good.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11676 on: June 05, 2018, 07:34:07 am »
Duracell have always been crap in this department. I remember my father having new Duracells leak in a camera flash in the early 90s. £500 flash even back then.

Out of thousands of them used, never seen a GP Ultra alkaline battery leak. Had one that was short and that was it.

Historically alkalines were the only choice for some applications as the rechargeables of the era would slowly discharge themselves. No so these days. Got stacks of LADDA cells from Ikea now. They're pretty good.
Are GP freely available in supermarkets though, I've not seen them in shops at all.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11677 on: June 05, 2018, 08:05:27 am »
Yeah they sell them in The Entertainer toy shop. I usually buy them in bulk from CPC though: http://cpc.farnell.com/gp-batteries/gppca15au006/battery-ultra-alkaline-aa-bulk/dp/BT05626

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11678 on: June 05, 2018, 08:21:02 am »
Yeah they sell them in The Entertainer toy shop. I usually buy them in bulk from CPC though: http://cpc.farnell.com/gp-batteries/gppca15au006/battery-ultra-alkaline-aa-bulk/dp/BT05626
I get Duracell Industrial, these are sold by Electrical Wholesalers and also a lot Ebay sellers have them and you can get in lots of 50 for £15.75 from this seller https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-x-Duracell-Industrial-AA-Alkaline-Batteries-Replaces-Procell-MN1500-1-5V-LR6/263721718391?epid=882101987&hash=item3d670a1277:g:3JoAAOSwrU1bDQiT

I've been using these for years now and I have not yet suffered a single failure of any sort with them and we have lots of them in use in equipment that is not used very often and no problems.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11679 on: June 05, 2018, 08:29:27 am »
We had one of their PP3's blow up in the office inside the stationery cupboard. Made a proper bang! Unused in wrapper. Zero trust in anything from them  :--

Edit: for that price compared to the actual retail, you're probably getting Chinese clone ones. They don't leak!  :-DD

Quick trick if you want to find a genuine duracell or a fake one. If you get an 8xAA battery holder, of the cheapest variety and load it up with the cells under test, then drop it about an inch onto the table, the genuine ones will stay in the holder. The fake ones shoot all over the shit.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:31:45 am by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11680 on: June 05, 2018, 02:12:04 pm »
This was posted in the Vintage Tek Group on Facebook. A small electronics shop in Las Cruces, New Mexico. A quick Mapquest resulted in one way distance of 2175 miles and 34 hours continuous driving. Now if it had been under 30 hours I'd already be on my way.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11681 on: June 05, 2018, 02:33:53 pm »
WTF, you mean to tell us that your letting just 4 hours stand between you and the apple of your eye, get a grip man, you'll never come across such a treasure trove again  :-DD

Why oh why are the best bits so fucking far away  |O |O
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11682 on: June 05, 2018, 02:46:11 pm »
Why oh why are the best bits so fucking far away  |O |O

Ain't that the truth. My Brother is in Greeley, Colorado which is "only" 721 miles and 11 hours away. Maybe I can convince him to go for me.  :-+

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #11683 on: June 05, 2018, 02:54:17 pm »
If you do go and get more than 3 pieces of gear, take a truck.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11684 on: June 05, 2018, 03:00:05 pm »

If I do go I'm gonna be prepared.  :-DD :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11685 on: June 05, 2018, 03:10:06 pm »
That's what the store looked like where I used to work, but newer stuff. You know 20-30 8656B's just waiting to be used for years. Was stacked to the ceiling.

Unfortunately I wasn't in the "first dibs" crew when they were throwing stuff in the skip.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #11686 on: June 05, 2018, 03:12:54 pm »

If I do go I'm gonna be prepared.  :-DD :-+

If you go more than 1 layer high, you'll be overweight!

Just cover the floor and you'll be done.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11687 on: June 05, 2018, 06:38:59 pm »
Disappearing for a bit. Not sure how long. May post but much less frequently. Need to throw everything I have into a business venture. Dropping this here in case anyone thinks I’ve been killed by an HT circuit, a falling scope or an angry SWMBO :D ... fear not I shall return in force shortly :)

(And no I’m not sinning by selling any more gear  :-DD)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #11688 on: June 05, 2018, 06:49:52 pm »
Disappearing for a bit. Not sure how long. May post but much less frequently. Need to throw everything I have into a business venture. Dropping this here in case anyone thinks I’ve been killed by an HT circuit, a falling scope or an angry SWMBO :D ... fear not I shall return in force shortly :)

Obviously posted by bd139's wife to cover her tracks. CONFESS!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11689 on: June 05, 2018, 08:01:45 pm »

Good luck in the venture then, you will be missed of that I'm sure, just don't forget to ship your 3478A to me before you disappear in case one of those scenarios should happen  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #11690 on: June 05, 2018, 08:10:34 pm »

You will be missed, take care.
And most of all..........
Good Luck.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #11691 on: June 05, 2018, 08:19:58 pm »

Oh, the joy of using "modern" batteries. Or, as mnem would say, "They don't make them like they used to."

Can you hear the vintage Eveready cells laughing?

Electronix Repair hack #678 (Mostly developed for resurrecting battery-defiled remote controls): Scrub battery connectors and PCBs with a toothbrush (or where possible without destroying plastic, a stainless steel detail brush) and Windex (Real Windex, or the good store brand stuff that you can smell has with lots of ammonia in it) to neutralize alkaline deposits and clean battery contacts down to clean metal. Rinse with distilled water and dry on a towel on your dash in the sun, or use your hair dryer/heat gun on low as conditions demand.

Once battery contacts are clean, smear a little silicone dielectric grease between the batteries and contacts to prevent corrosive relapse common with cleaned battery terminals. This stuff is available at your local Auto Parts Hell for a buck; it's made to go inside spark plug boots/coil packs when you replace the plugs.

mnem
We now return you to your regularly scheduled insanity.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:33:02 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11692 on: June 05, 2018, 08:25:23 pm »
This was posted in the Vintage Tek Group on Facebook. A small electronics shop in Las Cruces, New Mexico. A quick Mapquest resulted in one way distance of 2175 miles and 34 hours continuous driving. Now if it had been under 30 hours I'd already be on my way.  :-DD

Now that's what I call "Irreversibly Contaminated"!  :-DD

mnem
No-o-o-o-o...!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11693 on: June 05, 2018, 08:28:11 pm »

Naaahhh... I've seen this pattern before.  :o I think he got "Penis Fingers" slammed in a trunklid and needs time to heal...  :-DD

mnem
Now the question becomes whether he did it himself, or if she was involved...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:31:29 pm by mnementh »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11694 on: June 05, 2018, 08:28:51 pm »

Now that's what I call "Irreversibly Contaminated"!  :-DD

mnem
No-o-o-o-o...!
How far for you mnem ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11695 on: June 05, 2018, 08:37:51 pm »
About 810 miles, 12 1/2 hours.

If I was gonna go there, right now it would be to LEAVE stuff, not acquire it. :-DD

mnem
Y'all don't believe me about this whole "Thinning out the herd" thing...  :scared:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11696 on: June 05, 2018, 08:39:48 pm »

Naaahhh... I've seen this pattern before.  :o I think he got "Penis Fingers" slammed in a trunklid and needs time to heal...  :-DD

mnem
Nah, its none of those, can't you guess it? He's on his way to a small electronics shop in Las Cruces, New Mexico.  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11697 on: June 05, 2018, 08:42:26 pm »

mnem
Nah, its none of those, can't you guess it? He's on his way to a small electronics shop in Las Cruces, New Mexico.  :-DD :-DD :-DD
;D
Wonder if he's taking SWMBO along ?

C'mon dear, how would you like a trip to New Mexico ?  >:D

PS
We won't miss your penis fingers !
Good luck with this one buddy.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:44:29 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11698 on: June 05, 2018, 08:42:38 pm »
About 810 miles, 12 1/2 hours.

If I was gonna go there, right now it would be to LEAVE stuff, not acquire it. :-DD

mnem
Y'all don't believe me about this whole "Thinning out the herd" thing...  :scared:
Whoa there, tread carefully friend or you'll be called the Heretic in the same way as bd139, although I did think that they were referring to me.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11699 on: June 05, 2018, 08:44:35 pm »

mnem
;D
Wonder if he's taking SWMBO along ?

C'mon dear, how would you like a trip to Mexico ?  >:D

Maybe, she want to have a Mexican Wave hair do done while there.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf