Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16875597 times)

colorburst, wkb and 119 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5275 on: December 19, 2017, 10:50:56 pm »
I bid on a 3458, but gave up at, IIRC, 40% of the final bid price. I really couldn't justify that since I have a working Solartron 7081 (probably reading ~20ppm high).

I also have a 7 decade Julie Research KVD, and an ESI  KVD with a 3 decade switch + 2 decade potentiometer. The 7081 agrees with the 7 decade KVM to <3ppm. Not bad for 60yo and 30yo equipment :)
That blue display reminds of my VW Passat, that had lovely blue instrument lighting, uncommon on cars I think.

Given the choice w.r.t. a £100 7081, I'd prefer a Panaplex display, e.g. a £14 Datron 1061 or £40 Solartron 7075. Must try and resurrect the latter, but I'm not holding my breath.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5276 on: December 19, 2017, 10:59:42 pm »
I bid on a 3458, but gave up at, IIRC, 40% of the final bid price. I really couldn't justify that since I have a working Solartron 7081 (probably reading ~20ppm high).

I also have a 7 decade Julie Research KVD, and an ESI  KVD with a 3 decade switch + 2 decade potentiometer. The 7081 agrees with the 7 decade KVM to <3ppm. Not bad for 60yo and 30yo equipment :)
That blue display reminds of my VW Passat, that had lovely blue instrument lighting, uncommon on cars I think.

Given the choice w.r.t. a £100 7081, I'd prefer a Panaplex display, e.g. a £14 Datron 1061 or £40 Solartron 7075. Must try and resurrect the latter, but I'm not holding my breath.
Yes the Panaplex displays are crisp and clean and clear but they are also very hard to get replacements if you ever need them, but those prices £14 and £40 are really good albeit they are not functioning meters so maybe not good after all?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5277 on: December 19, 2017, 11:01:09 pm »

Only one Weston cell? Pah. I've got 3, from a local school that was closing down. One is from 1949 and is still good, see
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/poor-man-gets-his-candies-(6x-weston-cells)/msg1338437/#msg1338437
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2016/12/28/a-weston-standard-cell-an-introduction-to-voltnuttery/#more-852

One use for saturated Weston Cells is to use them as thermometers. Until you can do that you can't consider yourself a voltnut  >:D

As for (DC) calibrators, I'd go for a calibrated voltage source, and then a 7 decade KVD.

Good choise  :-+ I know because I have:
4 weston cells in an ovenized  cabinet including all calibration data from new. 
5 calibrators (or more depending the definition)
2 KV dividers
But I do not have the holy grale of voltnutting, an 3458 (hard to confess as a Keithley fan)

Having played with a few: don't underestimate the Solartron 7081. It might be crusty, and it definitely doesn't look up to the job when you compare it to the HP 3458A. BUT here's a lot of variation between units, and they have to be running for quite a while before the beast is truly let out of its cage. But when it does come out you can (if you get lucky with the unit at hand) have an incredibly low noise floor down into the ridiculous where it's competing with the 3458A on some ranges, just don't expect it to be quick in doing so.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5278 on: December 19, 2017, 11:08:00 pm »
Trouble is with those old meters, just like my Fluke 8505A is that they take up a hell of a lot of bench or shelf space which I don't have my 8505A is currently sitting on the floor on its side unused, shame because I love to see those digits although I really do not need that level of accuracy for what I do.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #5279 on: December 20, 2017, 12:44:31 am »
Please stop discussing high end DMM's and in particular 3458a's my nervous twitchy index finger keeps hovering over the buy it now button on several nice examples already  :scared:

It's already going to be a lean Christmas Day as most of my presents to myself have arrived and been unwrapped and played with. So just one more can't hurt :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5280 on: December 20, 2017, 12:57:33 am »
Please stop discussing high end DMM's and in particular 3458a's my nervous twitchy index finger keeps hovering over the buy it now button on several nice examples already  :scared:

It's already going to be a lean Christmas Day as most of my presents to myself have arrived and been unwrapped and played with. So just one more can't hurt :-DD
Its fine, go ahead and click the buy it now button, it won't be delivered until Christmas now so you can call it a New Year present to yourself.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5281 on: December 20, 2017, 02:13:30 am »
Haven't 'yet' think I know a place that has some ex army headphones to suit too  >:D

Road trip 10km from home.....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5282 on: December 20, 2017, 02:20:45 am »
Still plenty in stock. $9.50 a set.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5283 on: December 20, 2017, 03:35:28 am »
 :-[

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #5284 on: December 20, 2017, 05:01:07 am »

Just so you know; I can hear you gritting your teeth all the way over here... ;)

In other news... my $31 phone arrived today; turned out to be quite a nice little unit once I brought it back to life. I found the microUSB port had suffered some severe corrosion; as a result, it discharged below the LV cutoff threshold of the BMS board on the LiPo. I had to open it up and "jump start" the cell with my RC Hobby charger; after which I was able to charge it normally. I removed the old port and "MacGyver-fied" it as seen here so I can work on getting it set up the way I like while I wait for the replacement port to arrive in the mail.

I think ol' Doc Brown woulda been proud. ;)

mnem
I have the powaahh!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:02:50 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #5285 on: December 20, 2017, 05:43:32 am »
The Data Precision 1450 DMM I ordered the other day arrived.  Fortunately it is a very light weight device, as this was the second worst ebay packing job I've yet seen - it was literally in the box held in place with a styrofoam egg carton.   :wtf:

Luckily it made its journey unscathed.

I plugged it in and after some brief looking over, it appears to be working pretty well on DC, and based on a few spot comparisons of resistors between it and the HP 4262A LCR meter.  I haven't checked it on AC or the current ranges yet, but so far I'm happy with it.  It'll go into the queue to be opened up and properly photographed and tested at some point.

The voltage readout of the Kepco seems to be what's a bit 'off', seeing as the DP 1450, the Fairchild 7000 next to it, and a DP 3500 that's up on the shelf above out of view all agreed with one another within a few millivolts, and the Kepco was around a tenth of a volt high.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5286 on: December 20, 2017, 05:47:41 am »
Lots of nice toys!

Can those Panaplex segments with non-glowing cruft be cleaned up with a little overdrive like Nixies?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5287 on: December 20, 2017, 07:47:07 am »
That packaging  :palm:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5288 on: December 20, 2017, 07:54:03 am »
Eggs are fragile so egg cartons are good for fragile things  :palm:

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #5289 on: December 20, 2017, 08:02:15 am »
That packaging  :palm:

It's eco-friendly.  He recycled, and didn't waste a lot of packing material!   :-DD   :palm:

Yeah, that's it!!!  Of course!   :-DD :-DD

Thankfully, in this case at least it worked.

-Pat

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5290 on: December 20, 2017, 08:09:34 am »
If you had it double boxed and there was a layer of egg cartons between the boxes that'd be pretty awesome impact protection.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5291 on: December 20, 2017, 08:10:52 am »

Haha, I like it!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #5292 on: December 20, 2017, 08:22:33 am »
If you had it double boxed and there was a layer of egg cartons between the boxes that'd be pretty awesome impact protection.

Yes, that would have worked.  I suppose on the bright side I don't have a bunch of packing peanuts to get rid of.  Luckily it wasn't handled by the American Tourister Gorilla along the way.  Perhaps it was cushioned by the high volume of packages in transit this year, and never had too far to fall.

-Pat

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5293 on: December 20, 2017, 08:35:27 am »

Yes, that would have worked.  I suppose on the bright side I don't have a bunch of packing peanuts to get rid of.  Luckily it wasn't handled by the American Tourister Gorilla along the way.  Perhaps it was cushioned by the high volume of packages in transit this year, and never had too far to fall.

-Pat

Imagine if it would have been stuck underneath a badly packaged R&S ZVE  :o

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5294 on: December 20, 2017, 10:10:35 am »

Yes the Panaplex displays are crisp and clean and clear but they are also very hard to get replacements if you ever need them, but those prices £14 and £40 are really good albeit they are not functioning meters so maybe not good after all?

The 1061 needed a new optocoupler to prevent "noise" in the least significant digit.
The 7075 was working when I got it :( Not sure whether to resurrect it or break it for the Panaplex plus input lead with expensive Fischer connector.
The 7081 needed cooking for 24 hours, reseating a connector worryingly hard, tweaking the line frequency PLL's centre frequency, and a battery to keep results when power was off. Plus a few months powered on intermittently :)

All in all no really bad experiences.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5295 on: December 20, 2017, 10:25:43 am »
Having played with a few: don't underestimate the Solartron 7081. It might be crusty, and it definitely doesn't look up to the job when you compare it to the HP 3458A. BUT here's a lot of variation between units, and they have to be running for quite a while before the beast is truly let out of its cage. But when it does come out you can (if you get lucky with the unit at hand) have an incredibly low noise floor down into the ridiculous where it's competing with the 3458A on some ranges, just don't expect it to be quick in doing so.

Yes :)

Here's the noise floor with a Weston Cell acting as a thermometer. Major division is 1uV ~=1ppm, minor is 100nV

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5296 on: December 20, 2017, 10:33:01 am »
So what you are saying is I 'need' to buy a Solartron and a HP  :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5297 on: December 20, 2017, 10:38:49 am »
On the subject of voltnuttery, can someone recommend a stable absolute voltage reference IC that is off the shelf? I have a voltage reference which I am slightly suspicious of its authenticity at the moment and it's drifted 2mV in a year which is shit. This is without delving into (a) China imports or (b) a voltnut thread.

I am looking at the LM399 + LT1001 combo at the moment, burn it in for a couple of months, then brow beat someone I know who works in a cal lab to get a reference reading off it.

Only need something I can check a 4.5 digit DMM against. Not measure a nat's fart from space.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5298 on: December 20, 2017, 11:11:39 am »
Only need something I can check a 4.5 digit DMM against. Not measure a nat's fart from space.
Not measure a nat's fart from space., love it  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5299 on: December 20, 2017, 11:13:11 am »
So what you are saying is I 'need' to buy a Solartron and a HP  :palm:

(I'm going to be kind, and try some aversion therapy....)

No, that's only the start, e.g.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/anachrocomputer/albums/72157689996528645 (There's an hp3456 in there if you look carefully)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/anachrocomputer/sets/72157681714762216
N.B. not my photos :)

But I would swap my working 7081 for a working hp3458.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf