Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17445709 times)

Vince and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3650 on: November 15, 2017, 02:22:32 am »
Oh I dunno, be a linear relationship to the audio output?
Complete with expletives  :popcorn:

Are not expletives in serial format the expected output with this model?  :-DD

I'd also expect both AM and FM of the audio carrier depending on the sampled voltage...

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3651 on: November 15, 2017, 06:58:23 am »
cool, please provide info how you did it.

I didn't do it myself really, did only the design and ordered it at Schaeffer AG.
They offer a free designing tool (windows executable) that helps you design and review front plates along their design rules.
After finishing your design you can order it right out of that tool. Nice and handy but I paid roughly 69€ (incl. shipping) per piece ordering three of them. That was 2016 and prices climbed since then.

Annoyingly, I found and have ordered another type of Binding posts that are nearly HP/Agilent look-alikes. More annoyingly, these cost less than those I showed in my photo. And even most annoyingly, the HP/Agilent look-alikes don't fit in the holes of the other binding posts urging me towards ordering three new front plates with changed holes. I consider this another aspect of TEA. :palm:

The reason why I still haven't fitted them into my HP power supplies is the amount of work to do: It's not only dismounting the plastic front panel and fit it in there but also some metal work to the chassis because that's in the way of the sense switch. And for that I have to disassemble the whole unit, cut the metal, clean up and reassemble it.  :palm:
Seems like an engineering fail (what it is) but on the other hand the place of the switch looks just right where it has to be located.
So I'll probably stick with it and throw another money in.  8)

Ah, the colour I used for the front plate was RAL 7032 "Pebble grey" ("kieselgrau"). I probably will change that too because the HP look-alike binding posts have a slightly different colour.  :palm:

I've found the photos with my binding post option with the paint job done. I also played around a bit with colours -what would a binding post option of that sort have looked like with HP? -All red?  :popcorn:

After all I a came to and stick to that one with red/black for +/- and blue for earth ground.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:06:46 am by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3652 on: November 15, 2017, 07:45:29 am »
Just a heads up for anyone doing this, TME sell exactly the same binding posts that HP/Agilent/Keysight use for 1/8th of the cost!:

https://www.tme.eu/en/details/bs-244mn-g/4mm-banana-sockets/

BS-244 series.

I used these when I refurbished the DMM module on my 5328A.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3653 on: November 15, 2017, 07:45:50 am »
cool, please provide info how you did it.

I didn't do it myself really, did only the design and ordered it at Schaeffer AG.
They offer a free designing tool (windows executable) that helps you design and review front plates along their design rules.
After finishing your design you can order it right out of that tool. Nice and handy but I paid roughly 69€ (incl. shipping) per piece ordering three of them. That was 2016 and prices climbed since then.

Annoyingly, I found and have ordered another type of Binding posts that are nearly HP/Agilent look-alikes. More annoyingly, these cost less than those I showed in my photo. And even most annoyingly, the HP/Agilent look-alikes don't fit in the holes of the other binding posts urging me towards ordering three new front plates with changed holes. I consider this another aspect of TEA. :palm:

The reason why I still haven't fitted them into my HP power supplies is the amount of work to do: It's not only dismounting the plastic front panel and fit it in there but also some metal work to the chassis because that's in the way of the sense switch. And for that I have to disassemble the whole unit, cut the metal, clean up and reassemble it.  :palm:
Seems like an engineering fail (what it is) but on the other hand the place of the switch looks just right where it has to be located.
So I'll probably stick with it and throw another money in.  8)

Ah, the colour I used for the front plate was RAL 7032 "Pebble grey" ("kieselgrau"). I probably will change that too because the HP look-alike binding posts have a slightly different colour.  :palm:

I've found the photos with my binding post option with the paint job done. I also played around a bit with colours -what would a binding post option of that sort have looked like with HP? -All red?  :popcorn:

After all I a came to and stick to that one with red/black for +/- and blue for earth ground.
Nice, but couldn't you have made the holes suitable for new posts instead of ordering new plates?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3654 on: November 15, 2017, 08:04:17 am »
Just a heads up for anyone doing this, TME sell exactly the same binding posts that HP/Agilent/Keysight use for 1/8th of the cost!:

https://www.tme.eu/en/details/bs-244mn-g/4mm-banana-sockets/

BS-244 series.

These are exactly the ones I mentioned as HP/Agilent look-alikes. I checked them against the original ones; they are a tiny little bit different but not much. At least they are suitable for drop-in-replacement.
Same source on my side.  :)

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3655 on: November 15, 2017, 08:10:35 am »
Nice, but couldn't you have made the holes suitable for new posts instead of ordering new plates?

Nope, I only have a drill and a drill stand to use. So I can only drill simple round holes.
The HP/Agilent look-alike binding posts have a flattened side to prevent twisting them. And that as a negative form can only be made with a mill but not a drill.
And I don't have the time nor enough patience to file them into the form needed by hand.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:20:51 am by URI »

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #3656 on: November 15, 2017, 08:16:09 am »
Quote from: URI on Today at 07:10:35 PM>Quote from: Specmaster on Today at 06:45:50 PM

Nope, I only have a drill and a drill stand to use. So I can only drill simple round holes.
The HP/Agilent look-alike binding posts have a flattened side to prevent twisting them. And that as a negative form can only be made with a mill but not a drill.
An I don't have the time nor enough patience to file them into the form needed by hand.  :popcorn:

Just drill the hole full size then glue in a small piece to prevent rotation (not essential anyway but..). It would be invisible and can't fall out. If it's ABS use acetone to plastic weld.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3657 on: November 15, 2017, 08:20:56 am »

An I don't have the time nor enough patience to file them into the form needed by hand.  :popcorn:
Oh, I see. That rather restricts after market fitment so is a backward step in my book.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3658 on: November 15, 2017, 08:26:21 am »
Quote from: URI on Today at 07:10:35 PM>Quote from: Specmaster on Today at 06:45:50 PM

Just drill the hole full size then glue in a small piece to prevent rotation (not essential anyway but..). It would be invisible and can't fall out. If it's ABS use acetone to plastic weld.

Yeh, that is what I would have done, drill a round hole and fit it tightly, it's not a problem on other binding posts.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3659 on: November 15, 2017, 08:26:50 am »

And I don't have the time nor enough patience to file them into the form needed by hand.  :popcorn:

Hmm. I would have glue that piece to painted Aluminium. Not sure if that is rigid enough to prevent it from twisting..  ;)

On the other hand, hey I'm German, I have to do it right 110%!   :-DD    :popcorn:

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3660 on: November 15, 2017, 08:29:50 am »

Yeh, that is what I would have done, drill a round hole and fit it tightly, it's not a problem on other binding posts.

OK Chris and Specmaster, I'll reconsider it. Would save a lot of money for me free to spent for more gear.  :D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3661 on: November 15, 2017, 08:32:52 am »

OK Chris and Specmaster, I'll reconsider it. Would save a lot of money for me free to spent for more gear.  :D
The very point I was just about to make [emoji6]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3662 on: November 15, 2017, 08:35:01 am »
On the other hand, hey I'm German, I have to do it right 110%!   :-DD    :popcorn:

The German blood in me agrees  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3663 on: November 15, 2017, 08:53:35 am »
My German blood says screw that, it aint going to move anymore than other posts, and use the money to further the acquisition of yet more gear and keep TEA alive and well.  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline khs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3664 on: November 15, 2017, 12:59:58 pm »

Hmmm.

Volkswagen made my diesel 110%.
After the software update it consumes 10% more fuel.
It looks the German reputation is a little bit ruined at the moment.. :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3665 on: November 15, 2017, 01:14:41 pm »
It's efficiently using up more fuel!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3666 on: November 15, 2017, 01:23:58 pm »

Hmmm.

Volkswagen made my diesel 110%.
After the software update it consumes 10% more fuel.
It looks the German reputation is a little bit ruined at the moment.. :palm:
Are you being serious? That would make it even more polluting then it was before  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline khs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3667 on: November 15, 2017, 01:29:10 pm »
It's efficiently using up more fuel!

Maybe you're right. It attenuates GAS. ^-^

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3668 on: November 15, 2017, 02:20:25 pm »
Are you being serious? That would make it even more polluting then it was before  :-//
That's not necessarily true. Otherwise a catalytic converter wouldn't be of any use. It's all what you blow out of your exhaust. More less harmful substances could end up being a better deal.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3669 on: November 15, 2017, 02:23:17 pm »
Just got the bill from SWMBO for my new power supply, meter and scope.... £230 hair cut and £122 in make up and apparently I'm in the dog house now I said that the hair doesn't look any different.

We're discussing the value of re-saleable assets vs one-time services now. Well I am  :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3670 on: November 15, 2017, 02:27:46 pm »
Just got the bill from SWMBO for my new power supply, meter and scope.... £230 hair cut and £122 in make up and apparently I'm in the dog house now I said that the hair doesn't look any different.

We're discussing the value of re-saleable assets vs one-time services now. Well I am  :-DD
Funny thing that. You give someone your hair and you still pay 230 GBP for it.

But damn. For that amount of money, it'd better stay put for at least a year.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3671 on: November 15, 2017, 02:35:04 pm »
Yeah. The whole irony of it is she's actually a hairdresser but doesn't charger herself out for that much :palm:

Online Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3672 on: November 15, 2017, 02:42:13 pm »
If she doesnt look like Miranda Kerr after that amount of money then it was a scam.  :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3673 on: November 15, 2017, 02:42:52 pm »
No comment :)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3674 on: November 15, 2017, 02:44:01 pm »
Yeah. The whole irony of it is she's actually a hairdresser but doesn't charger herself out for that much :palm:

If you really want to put yourself in the doghouse, make a comparison of the value of the haircut versus the equipment in about two months' time. Maybe even put both on eBay to drive the point home.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf