Author Topic: Tektronix New 3/4-Series Scope (June 4th!)  (Read 28746 times)

Offline Domitronic

• Regular Contributor
Re: Tektronix New 3/4-Series Scope (June 4th!)
« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2022, 10:41:02 pm »
Three ANALOG channels ;)

R&S Scoperider has up to 4 isolated analog channels. But also not really cheap and memory depth is just 500kpts.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2022, 12:41:41 am »
After all they had this new ASIC that would do everything, couldn't they come up with isolated front ends for this one as well? (IIRC the TPS has the analog signal going into an optic modulator, which is demodulated on the board and then fed to the ADC, that's why it is so noisy)

"confidential" answer was that there was something coming out in 6 months, every time.
Once it was the new isolated probes. Works of art but ludicrously expensive
Then the 3/4 series, no isolated version
Then the 2 series, it retains the battery power and has a very interesting form factor. Love it, would get one or two immediately. IF ONLY it has isolated channels.

Alas, Siglent came out with a 2 channel scope with 2 isolated channels, however they are only two. We usually need at least three
If you are into power electronics then look at Yokogawa. They have some interesting oscilloscopes in their line-up including isolated channels.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2022, 01:03:47 am »
Alas, Siglent came out with a 2 channel scope with 2 isolated channels, however they are only two. We usually need at least three
Nothing new, the SHS1000 models have been around for years however they have just been updated to SHS1000X with more capabilities, Decoding, deeper memory, larger display, Lithium battery etc.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2022, 02:09:07 am »
The problem with the Tek TPS is that it is a very old architecture, over the 15-20 years it has been on the market it has been updated only once, just to remove the CF slot and give an usb port for saving screenshots.
At its heart it still uses the very old asic with 2.5kS memory per channel, it is a very expensive, very limited scope, but it still is one of the best tools for the job.
Tektronix has been updating all the lineup, minus the TPS series so that is why i started asking at every fair i went if they had the plan to.

AFAIK the current TPS models (TPS2000B) still have the CF slot.  So truly dinosaurs and they still want $6K+. 

Still, I get <1mVrms noise, which is better than any differential probe I can get my hands on.  And its very basic feature set 'just works'.

Of course they have 'updated' it with A and B models just enough so that most of the parts you might want for the older ones are NLA.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf