Author Topic: Tektronix 2465B oscilloscope teardown  (Read 718051 times)

Offline JSC

Re: Tektronix 2465B oscilloscope teardown
« Reply #1875 on: July 03, 2024, 04:51:07 pm »
I like the 1502. In fact, I like it better than the "improved" 1503 with the LCD screen. The trace was sharper and quicker responding.

A coworker of mine flew RC controlled aircraft. He had a hi-tech Ni-Cad battery charger that could resurrect a bad TEK battery pak about 2/3s of the time by subjecting it repeated charge-discharge cycles. Took about a week each.

I never knew about the 1 ma drain. I always thought the main problem was the age of the batteries and the high temperature. The only places I ever used a 1502 were in Ft. Bliss, TX (gets sort of warmish), Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain (really warmish).

John

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #1876 on: July 03, 2024, 04:59:42 pm »
I like the 1502. In fact, I like it better than the "improved" 1503 with the LCD screen. The trace was sharper and quicker responding.

A coworker of mine flew RC controlled aircraft. He had a hi-tech Ni-Cad battery charger that could resurrect a bad TEK battery pak about 2/3s of the time by subjecting it repeated charge-discharge cycles. Took about a week each.

I never knew about the 1 ma drain. I always thought the main problem was the age of the batteries and the high temperature. The only places I ever used a 1502 were in Ft. Bliss, TX (gets sort of warmish), Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain (really warmish).

The manuals state "recharge every month", but don't explain why that is necessary :(

The chart recorder is permanently connected to the battery, and is responsible for a lot of the current drain. I can't remember what happens with the XY-output option or an empty slot, but the battery is not disconnected and there is still some drain.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline JSC

« Reply #1877 on: July 04, 2024, 01:18:38 pm »
Everyone always says, "RTFM.", but alas, hardly anybody does.

John

Offline AMR Labs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1878 on: July 04, 2024, 01:46:41 pm »

The manuals state "recharge every month", but don't explain why that is necessary :(

The chart recorder is permanently connected to the battery, and is responsible for a lot of the current drain. I can't remember what happens with the XY-output option or an empty slot, but the battery is not disconnected and there is still some drain.

Guys, just a friendly suggestion for the benefit of everyone on this long and distinguished thread about Tek 2465 scopes, and try not to wander off too far to other unrelated things like the 1502 scope or RC controlled aircraft, etc. Suggest it would be best to open a separate new thread and move the discussion there of those other topics. Thank you.

The following users thanked this post: cheeseit

Offline JSC

« Reply #1879 on: July 06, 2024, 04:09:38 am »
Sorry. I have been a moderator. I should have known better.  :-[

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1880 on: July 06, 2024, 05:40:57 am »
Please start a NEW thread eg "Tektronix 1502/1503 TDR".

j
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline Scopetechniques

• Contributor
« Reply #1881 on: July 29, 2024, 02:47:59 pm »
[IIRC, that is one of a number of mods performed by well-known eBay vendor 2465b on all his "Refurbished/Guaranteed" 24xx scopes.]

I was searching online for images of a 2465B mainboard and saw this image, which I know to be my work.
My ebay ID is "scopetechniques" - same as EEVBLOG id.  The quoted posting attributed this work to ebay seller "2465B" and that is not true.

On the original question, I believe the black plastic piece stuck to the bottom of the scope was meant to protect the scope case when it was installed on a cart.

--Victor
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 02:56:52 pm by Scopetechniques »

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1882 on: July 29, 2024, 03:05:28 pm »
risky to touch U800 HOR hybrid. Heatsink not needed and can short to case.

j

Offline AMR Labs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1883 on: July 29, 2024, 03:20:31 pm »
Not worth the risk of messing with U800, besides no additional heatsink has ever been necessary.

Offline Scopetechniques

• Contributor
« Reply #1884 on: July 29, 2024, 05:12:04 pm »
No risk if you have the proper equipment, which I do.
Although I do agree with the limited value of the heatsink.
Unfortunately customers do research on the web and some want the heatsink.

In my research U800 runs at 112F (at 75F ambient), with the heatsink installed it runs at 102F.

Also, I have modified the attachment method for the heatsink. I install it below the U800 tab, so the high points of the whole assembly are the two studs.
So if there is a short to the case it will be on the studs not the heatsink.

--Victor
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 05:14:54 pm by Scopetechniques »

Offline AMR Labs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1885 on: July 29, 2024, 05:37:06 pm »
The main risk, aside from a short (studs are not at ground potential) is physically damaging the chip legs where they come out of the package due to improper tightening of the two nuts. Very easy to do if not careful and failing to keep the proper hardware in the correct place. This topic has been explained many times here and on Tekscopes group, as it has been stated and explained why no heatsink is needed. Not to mention stick-on heatsinks falling off unexpectedly and possibly shorting other things inside the main board. Not worth trying to fix a problem that does really not exist.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 05:39:06 pm by AMR Labs »

Offline Scopetechniques

• Contributor
« Reply #1886 on: July 29, 2024, 05:46:59 pm »
The main risk, aside from a short (studs are not at ground potential) is physically damaging the chip legs where they come out of the package due to improper tightening of the two nuts. Very easy to do if not careful and failing to keep the proper hardware in the correct place. This topic has been explained many times here and on Tekscopes group, as it has been stated and explained why no heatsink is needed. Not to mention stick-on heatsinks falling off unexpectedly and possibly shorting other things inside the main board. Not worth trying to fix a problem that does really not exist.

I agree with what you say.  It does require care and some expertise to perform this work, along with a proper de-soldering workstation.
I have literally sold hundreds of 2465Bs and the U800 and A1 recap is only performed when the customer requests it.
I am not a fan of stick on heatsinks, only metal to metal and mechanically attached.

--Victor

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1887 on: July 29, 2024, 11:36:24 pm »
See the many comments of Chuck Harris on Tekscopes2 and Tekscopes at groups.io, RE U800.

Note the earlier SN 2465B have original TEK ICs but later SN used to substute from Maxim, not  as good.

Jon

Offline Scopetechniques

• Contributor
« Reply #1888 on: July 30, 2024, 03:02:37 am »
See the many comments of Chuck Harris on Tekscopes2 and Tekscopes at groups.io, RE U800.

Note the earlier SN 2465B have original TEK ICs but later SN used to substute from Maxim, not  as good.

Jon

Chuck and I communicate a lot.  He has sent me a lot of 2465B business my way since he retired.
Chuck and I do not agree on removing the A1 for complete recap and U800 socket install.
My opinion is that if a customer wants it I give to them. Worst case an A1 with a socketed U800 will allow a casual user to repair their beloved 2465B when a U800 failure occurs.

--Victor

Offline jorgino

« Reply #1889 on: Yesterday at 11:01:00 pm »
Hi all,

I'm also a "happy" owner of a 2465A CT. I was having issues with the display jumping all over the place:
https://youtu.be/g6iKEVwqY9M
So I took it apart to recap the boards, but then I decided to put it together so I could get the CAL constants before recaping the boards, however, now I get an error message and no traces and the LEDS above the display don't light up:
https://youtu.be/q4gS29u1FuY?si=lmVH3ULfq2Pwa76U
From your experience, did I re-connect something wrong, or did one of the boards go bad? I wasn't having any other issues before other than the display jumping. The manual says TEST 05 FAIL 24 is ADD Main Board - Positive Level is not Positive Enough. I didn't touch the High Voltage Power supply or the board that's underneath the O'scope, originally I only removed the 2 boards from inside and the one on the side with the NVRAM battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
George

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf