Author Topic: Suggestion on getting a new Oscilloscope  (Read 6639 times)

Offline ashkanTopic starter

Suggestion on getting a new Oscilloscope
« on: June 25, 2020, 02:23:46 am »
Hi Guys, hope everyone is fine and healthy.

I am looking to get a new oscilloscope and I am a beginner.

Regardless to general use, i need something which helps me identifying noises in circuits. Also, shows the frequency and db (FFT , Math?).

I came across Keysight brand and this model https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Keysight/DSOX1202G-DSOX1202A-100?qs=Fd5IDHV0WqxpqhPP4swfog%3D%3D

would it be a good choice?  would really appreciate any feedback and suggestion.

Cheers
Ashkan

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Suggestion on getting a new Oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 07:26:11 am »
I'm sure you can get something cheaper that will easily meet you needs or even be better.
FYI TrioTest are the AU Keysight agents and could likely beat Mouser for price.
https://www.triotest.com.au/electronic-and-rf/oscilloscope

While you're over at Trio's website check out something from the Siglent range.
SDS1202X-E or SDS2202X-E are similarly spec'ed models and with a few features that are additional cost when compared to Keysight.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: stafil, ashkan

Offline stafil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 05:22:45 pm »

Regardless to general use, i need something which helps me identifying noises in circuits. Also, shows the frequency and db (FFT , Math?).

I came across Keysight brand and this model https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Keysight/DSOX1202G-DSOX1202A-100?qs=Fd5IDHV0WqxpqhPP4swfog%3D%3D

would it be a good choice?  would really appreciate any feedback and suggestion.

Cheers
Ashkan

It's a good scope, but way overpriced in comparison to Rigol, Siglent and GW Instek without giving you anything more other than the Keysight badge.

The following users thanked this post: ashkan

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 06:14:32 pm »
If I had that much money to spend I'd look at the Rigol MSO5000. It has built in signal generators and can easily be unlocked to get 350Mhz bandwidth and a load more stuff.

Offline stafil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 06:18:52 pm »
If I had that much money to spend I'd look at the Rigol MSO5000. It has built in signal generators and can easily be unlocked to get 350Mhz bandwidth and a load more stuff.

The signal generator on MSO5000 is pretty limited in regards to amplitude.

"Impedance is set to "HighZ", the available range is from 20mVppto 5 Vpp; when Impedance is set to "50Ω", the available range is from 10mVppto 2.5 Vpp"

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 11:08:33 am »
The signal generator on MSO5000 is pretty limited in regards to amplitude.

"Impedance is set to "HighZ", the available range is from 20mVppto 5 Vpp; when Impedance is set to "50Ω", the available range is from 10mVppto 2.5 Vpp"
The signal generators that are built in to modern scopes tend to be limited.  The 50Ω setting is only 2.5 Vpp when its connected to a 50Ω load, it you measured it open circuit, you'd see 5 Vpp.

The MSO5000 is a great scope, I own one. In fact, having just sold my Keysight MSOX4054A, the MSO5074 is my 'best' scope and I really don't miss the Keysight.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 11:12:04 am »
If you are considering an $1800 scope, then you have many great options.
As others have said, there are better "bang-per-buck" options than the Keysight. That being said, the Keysight is an excellent scope, and is my preferred daily driver.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 11:32:46 am »

If you are a beginner and have decided to spend between €1000-1500, my advice is (as always :) ) Rigol MSO5074 (1000€) or Siglent SDS2104X+ (1500€). Don't try to compare them.

Think of it as doing bid sniping on an auction: decide your max bid and bid at the last moment and don't look back.

Decide if you are better spending 1500, just 1000 or 500. For the 1st two cases, the options are the ones I've told you. The 500€ range is a whole new ballgame (several contenders).

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 12:03:19 pm »
Having owned or still owning a great many of the scopes mentioned.

Simple break down, the Rigol 5000 series best horsepower (8G/s) 200Mpts and a decent amount of features plus it has a bode plot now  :-DD

Built in FG, Mey not really ok at a pinch but not for serious work imho. However a DG812/2 can be Tv84'd was ease its 16 bits and is far more accurate than any of the inbuilt FG's,

The Siglent is more polished and slicker and the help and a lot of arm twisting for everyone's favorite Kiwi Siglent vendor keep on top of firmware bugs and features.

The Keysight will be good, in a direct comparison I can not answer that one you would need to ask an owner for that one!

Both the Siglent and Rigol can be opened up very easily, plenty of supporters on here for both brands. I have both scopes, my son uses the 5000 and Siglent equivalent unit. Both represent stonking value when upgraded.

I prefer the Rigol's but that's personal, for my field they are better suited, however the Siglent is good the person to really ask would be Martin 72 he is a Rigol defector to Siglent  >:D but has great experience with both scopes and is a well balanced and genuine individual his options carry weight imho.
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Offline stafil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 05:59:25 pm »
The signal generators that are built in to modern scopes tend to be limited.  The 50Ω setting is only 2.5 Vpp when its connected to a 50Ω load, it you measured it open circuit, you'd see 5 Vpp.

The MSO5000 is a great scope, I own one. In fact, having just sold my Keysight MSOX4054A, the MSO5074 is my 'best' scope and I really don't miss the Keysight.

> The MSO5000 is a great scope

My comment was limited to the signal generator. 100% agree, it's a great, feature packed, hackable and at an amazing price point. The DSOX1200 is not even in the same league. Didn't mean to take that away from it.

Offline martinot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 10:49:38 pm »

Cheers
Ashkan

I personally think it looks like a potentially very good combination between high quality software and polished user interface (hardware is usually quite equal between different brands), and still a a very low affordable budget price.*

I will check it out and test it myself (will come back with impressions).

* even if you can always go even cheaper if you do not care about anything else than features/price, and if quality is not high on the list.

Offline ashkanTopic starter

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 10:59:17 pm »
Dear All , Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions.

I end up getting "DSOX1204G" 100Mhz version.

I think it will be ok for at least 5 years!.

I will try to share my experience with it.

Cheers
Ashkan

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 11:10:36 am »
For less money you could have got the Rigol MSO5074.  The Keysight is an OK scope but very expensive in terms of what it does. I guess you could return the Keysight and still get the Rigol?

I just sold a used Keysight MSOX4054A on eBay with the all features bundle for around $7,000 US, the Rigol MSO5074 is a worthy replacement and cost me $1,000.  I'm retiring and couldn't justify having that much money tied up in a scope.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 11:54:32 am »
For less money you could have got the Rigol MSO5074.  The Keysight is an OK scope but very expensive in terms of what it does. I guess you could return the Keysight and still get the Rigol?

I just sold a used Keysight MSOX4054A on eBay with the all features bundle for around $7,000 US, the Rigol MSO5074 is a worthy replacement and cost me $1,000.  I'm retiring and couldn't justify having that much money tied up in a scope.

I learned my lesson. More often than not, whenever someone opens the topic with preference to some A-brand piece of equipment, whatever you say, they will buy exactly that one, no matter if that is really the best option. Every person has their priorities, and it doesn't have to be based on technical merits.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 12:28:54 pm »

I learned my lesson. More often than not, whenever someone opens the topic with preference to some A-brand piece of equipment, whatever you say, they will buy exactly that one, no matter if that is really the best option. Every person has their priorities, and it doesn't have to be based on technical merits.
Yeah, I read through the whole thread and saw that the advice was all along the same lines... the Keysight is a good quality scope but it's left in the dust as far as bang for the buck is concerned by the likes of the MSO5074, especially after the upgrade.

The following users thanked this post: Larryc001

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2020, 01:40:28 pm »

If you are a beginner and have decided to spend between €1000-1500, my advice is (as always :) ) Rigol MSO5074 (1000€) or Siglent SDS2104X+ (1500€). Don't try to compare them.

Think of it as doing bid sniping on an auction: decide your max bid and bid at the last moment and don't look back.

Decide if you are better spending 1500, just 1000 or 500. For the 1st two cases, the options are the ones I've told you. The 500€ range is a whole new ballgame (several contenders).

Oh I'm knee deep in comparing those two and I'm tired of it.
I guess I'm going to hijack this thread rather than make a new one since it seems that the OP got the keysight.

I want to upgrade from my 1054z but I'm really stuck between the rigol and the siglent. I'm looking for quality of life upgrades, as in bigger/nicer screen, easier UI (knob per function ideally but I know I am not getting that in either scopes) etc. I've been reading everything I can find on user experience and basic specs, and so far I have this:

The Rigol's screen is a bit dim and off-axis performance is so-so? Not sure if this is fixed with latest firmware? (the brightness I mean)
the Rigol is a bit sluggish on the UI ? But it's not clear if that's for the touch screen or the knobs/buttons? Speaking of touchscreen, do I have to use it for some things or can I get around with the knobs and buttons for everything?
Whiny fan on the rigol?
The Siglent has a bigger (better?) screen than the Rigol. Matte screen vs glossy on the rigol ?
Siglent has one rotary encoder that's shared across the channels vs per channel on the rigol.
Siglent seems a bit more menu-diving than the Rigol or am I wrong?
8g/s for the rigol vs 2g/s of the siglent (don't remember how low those figures drop for multichannel but the rigol wins IIRC)
no hi-rez on the rigol ? how's the siglent doing it in this aspect?
50ohm input on the siglent
Rigol looks pretty in black. Siglent is the same boring off-white beige...I know people like them but I think it's nice to have some color. I'd buy the hello kitty version, if you know what I mean. :P

Anyway, just looking for a good scope - I'm happy with my 1054z but I got cash to burn and want to upgrade.  I work in the audio range mostly, analog circuits. oscillators, envellopes, filters, stuff like that.

I know Tautech will champion the Siglent, is there anybody to champion the Rigol? I'm leaning towards Siglent to be honest, just the lower sample rate and shared channel controls put me down a little bit.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2020, 01:50:15 pm »
I'm leaning towards Siglent to be honest, just the lower sample rate and shared channel controls put me down a little bit.
Welcome to the forum.

Yeah well it's not like you haven't used multiplexed controls with your 54Z so a switch shouldn't give you any issues.

no hi-rez on the rigol ?how's the siglent doing it in this aspect?
SDS2kX Plus models have 10 bit and ERES modes.

Check out the first few pages in the SDS2kX Plus thread for Performa01's posts.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2020, 01:50:35 pm »
I know Tautech will champion the Siglent, is there anybody to champion the Rigol? I'm leaning towards Siglent to be honest, just the lower sample rate and shared channel controls put me down a little bit.

The Rigol is 1000. The Siglent is 1500. Do you have anything else to do with those 500 bucks? If yes, buy the Rigol. If not buy the Siglent.  (I'll create myself a tagline with this...)

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2020, 01:53:10 pm »
I end up getting "DSOX1204G" 100Mhz version.

I think it will be ok for at least 5 years!.

I will try to share my experience with it.

As a sign of respect for the forum you should write here the reasons that made you choose the KS after all that was said.

Then, after you receive it and have experienced it, come here and comment on your expectations fulfillment.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2020, 01:55:25 pm »

The Rigol is 1000. The Siglent is 1500 1400. Do you have anything else to do with those 500 400 bucks? If yes, buy the Rigol. If not buy the Siglent.  (I'll create myself a tagline with this...)
Corrections made.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2020, 02:00:05 pm »
The display brightness and viewability on the new MSO5000s is fine.

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 02:02:20 pm »
I'm leaning towards Siglent to be honest, just the lower sample rate and shared channel controls put me down a little bit.
Welcome to the forum.

Yeah well it's not like you haven't used multiplexed controls with your 54Z so a switch shouldn't give you any issues.

no hi-rez on the rigol ?how's the siglent doing it in this aspect?
SDS2kX Plus models have 10 bit and ERES modes.

Check out the first few pages in the SDS2kX Plus thread for Performa01's posts.

Re the multiplexed controls, that's exactly the thing. I have used them in the 1054z and would like to upgrade. It's not a deal breaker but eh. I guess it's bigger screen vs more knobs thing. But I want both

ED: And thanks for the welcome :)
I'll check the SDS2kX Plus thread for the posts you mentioned
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:08:43 pm by Ctrlocti »

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2020, 02:05:45 pm »

The Rigol is 1000. The Siglent is 1500. Do you have anything else to do with those 500 bucks? If yes, buy the Rigol. If not buy the Siglent.  (I'll create myself a tagline with this...)

But I'm not seeing how the Siglent is 500$ better than the Rigol. It does some things better than the Rigol and some things less so. I mean, if we just added all the advantages of the Siglent to the Rigol for an extra 500 then yeah it would be an easy more $ = more features but it's not the case. at least to my eyes anyway, happy to be corrected if I am being dense. That would make my life easier

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2020, 02:07:37 pm »
The display brightness and viewability on the new MSO5000s is fine.

Good to know, thanks. Is it a matt or glossy screen?
IS the UI slow only when using the touch screen or also when using the physical interface (knobs/buttons)?

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2020, 02:09:55 pm »

The Rigol is 1000. The Siglent is 1500 1400. Do you have anything else to do with those 500 400 bucks? If yes, buy the Rigol. If not buy the Siglent.  (I'll create myself a tagline with this...)
Corrections made.  :P

Damn! I'll have to incorporate a ticker tape in my tagline!  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf