Author Topic: Siglent SSA3021x user interface bug  (Read 2463 times)

Offline IAmBackTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Siglent SSA3021x user interface bug
« on: August 08, 2018, 08:21:05 pm »
I've found a bug :) Seriousely.
Steps to reproduce it are very simple.

1. Turn on the instrument.
In my case "frequency" menu is displayed, with "center frequency" selected (highlighted in blue).

2. Type any number from the keyboard.
As a result a number appears below"center frequency" displayed on the screen and tabs with multipliers (Hz, kHz, MHz and GHz) are appearing on the right side of the screen, but this time without any description (no something-Hz info).

3. Press enter.

Next thing that can be done is turning off the device (eg. by pressing power button for several seconds).

Anyone can reproduce this behaviour?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SSA3021x user interface bug
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 01:35:12 am »
Normally for a bug report we list the firmware version #, the latest is Version: V1.2.9.1.

I don't get what you see here.  :-//

Mine produces normal expected behavior, input the CF value and then select the multiplier and then while still in the Frequency menu, both the CF screen indication and the CF footer value changes to the selected CF.

Reboot CF value is dependent on the User settings you have selected, be they: Preset, Last or Default.

A screenshot might help if I'm not getting your problem understood.

The UI on these is quite complex and confusing if you haven't had any SA experience and I keep my Preset set to Factory Default as some 'return to base setup' and sanity check for when I get tangled in what I'm trying to do.
I use the Preset less now as experience grows but I still use it.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 05:26:22 am »
I've found a bug :) Seriousely.
Steps to reproduce it are very simple.

1. Turn on the instrument.
In my case "frequency" menu is displayed, with "center frequency" selected (highlighted in blue).

2. Type any number from the keyboard.
As a result a number appears below"center frequency" displayed on the screen and tabs with multipliers (Hz, kHz, MHz and GHz) are appearing on the right side of the screen, but this time without any description (no something-Hz info).

3. Press enter.

Next thing that can be done is turning off the device (eg. by pressing power button for several seconds).

Anyone can reproduce this behaviour?

I can repeat this with my SSA  (FW  1.2.8.5a)
There is bug least in old FW  (I do not know at this time if bug is also in more new FW)

It happen if I just power on and after then it show freq menu and there center freg highlighted.
At this time not touched anything!
Then just enter some numbers using number keys, example 12345. (or 1 or what ever number(s))
After pressing any number then menu (right side) pops up but do not show any Hz, kHz, MHz, GHz selection. (all just empty dark gray)
After then just at this point push  Enter
After then it freeze.

After then can only shut off pressing power button more than ~3s (or unplug power cable)

Previously I have never meet this bug and I have used this SSA hundreds of hours over 2 years.
Perhaps just because always done some other adjustment after power on and perhaps never just after power up and then with first pressed numbers and then Enter after start.

But, how ever this is bug (least in old FW 1.2.8.5a. and at this time I do not want update until I have done some "things"..).

ETA:

After take backup from some system files (due to my own reasons)
Then run Reset&Clear procedure and after then updated to FW version 1.2.9.1
After then I can not anymore repeat this case.

It looks like this bug is already fixed.

Therefore EOC
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 06:02:49 am by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline IAmBackTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:16:41 pm »
Yes, latest FW fixes the bug.

Offline OldDogSleeping

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 03:18:40 pm »
I wonder if it would be worth while to have a SSA3000X know issues thread ?

Iv'e come across a couple of minor oddities ( firmware: 1.2.9.1 )

When normalise is on, selecting View on trace D it does not work, it appears to show the normalisation reference trace instead.

When using the Video Trigger; Video trigger Single does not appear to work at all, and if you select View on a trace while using the Video Trigger, it stores the current live sweep rather than the triggered trace on the display. This ( often empty ) trace then gets displayed when the video is next triggered.

neither of these are big issues but they did cause some head scratching until I worked out what was happening.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 04:02:15 pm by OldDogSleeping »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 06:45:04 pm »
I wonder if it would be worth while to have a SSA3000X know issues thread ?

Iv'e come across a couple of minor oddities ( firmware: 1.2.9.1 )

When normalise is on, selecting View on trace D it does not work, it appears to show the normalisation reference trace instead.

When using the Video Trigger; Video trigger Single does not appear to work at all, and if you select View on a trace while using the Video Trigger, it stores the current live sweep rather than the triggered trace on the display. This ( often empty ) trace then gets displayed when the video is next triggered.

neither of these are big issues but they did cause some head scratching until I worked out what was happening.

Is it something like this: (User manual)
Quote from: User Manual version UM0703X-E02B
"4. Ref Trace
Set whether to display the reference trace or not. If "View" is selected, the reference trace saved (Trace D) will be shown in "View" type."
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline OldDogSleeping

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 07:53:40 pm »
"4. Ref Trace
Set whether to display the reference trace or not. If "View" is selected, the reference trace saved (Trace D) will be shown in "View" type."

Yes that is what is shown, but that section of the manual refers to the TG menu. I was referring to the view option on the trace menu.

4. View
Holds and displays the amplitude data of the selected trace. The trace data is not updated as the analyzer sweeps.

I just found it confusing when I tried to save (view) trace D that I was working with and it changed to a different trace. It didn't take long to work out that you can't use view on trace D, due to the normalisation reference being stored there, but the UI could be clearer.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 11:24:49 pm »
"4. Ref Trace

Yes that is what is shown, but that section of the manual refers to the TG menu. I was referring to the view option on the trace menu.

4. View
Holds and displays the amplitude data of the selected trace. The trace data is not updated as the analyzer sweeps.

I just found it confusing when I tried to save (view) trace D that I was working with and it changed to a different trace. It didn't take long to work out that you can't use view on trace D, due to the normalisation reference being stored there, but the UI could be clearer.

Perhaps also UI but least UM... This User Manual is superficial and carelessly written. Such a device should have the detailed  User's Reference Manual which explains every detail and exactly. But this type of manual is not 75 pages. It is 750 pages or more.
But then, who write it again and again after every new FW...

Old times we can not even touch equipments like spectrum or network analyzers without proper studying and training for that device. The manufacturer's own trainer arranged lectures and teach with practical exercises all what need know and also some "good to know" things.

Today we just take these out from box and start exercise and wonder this and that...  with variable learning curve...  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf