Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes  (Read 1137597 times)

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes
« Reply #2950 on: August 11, 2024, 03:08:18 pm »
Hi,

I'm planning on buying an MSO5074 (it looks the best option even though it's not the newest instrument), and upgrade it using the 'Dr Mefisto' script.
I assume it will arrive with the latest firmware v01.03.03.00. I'd like to keep the original firmware that Rigol made.

My question is can I skip the backup and downgrade/upgrade steps and use just the script to activate the options?

Ummm,  OK, if you're asking me that question, i have to ask .... What instructions are you reading regarding upgrade and downgrade of the scope ?

So let me address this bit by bit.
I'm planning on buying an MSO5074
- OK, Cool

(it looks the best option even though it's not the newest instrument)
- LOL,   The DS2000A is also by far not a new machine and yet it is still kicking arse over the DS1054Z, Truth be told there isn't much that rivals it.
  Point here is, Even if you bought the DS2000A Series you'd be well off.

But you're going for the MSO5000 which is a beast (perhaps you're not aware of that though), i would hardly complain about it being not the newest.
  it's very closely related to the MSO7000  , and the only one above is the MSO8000.  The DSO Series are not really competing with it
  so i'd say you're getting close to the best in the Rigol scopes

The question will be , ARE YOU BUYING A LOGIC ANALYZER PROBE WHEN YOU GET THE SCOPE (as we will be unlocking that feature for you .

But YES, You are buying and amazing scope, i wouldn't even worry about it's age.

and upgrade it using the 'Dr Mefisto' script.
OK, SO.... THE DR MEFIST0 SCRIPT IS OUTDATED

Now... Credit where it's due....
Dr Mefist0 Created the first Script and gave us the start to all this (that needs to be noted)
TV84 also worked hard on it and helped it progress (That also needs to be acknowledged)

THAT BEING SAID....
The script has progressed so much since then
(Most of the credit would go to Asp) but others contributed to it

A BIT OF AN UPDATE

- When the DrMefist0 Script got to version 2   (Not the hack) but the proper licensing method,  We first NEEDED to be on version 1.3.2.2
- Then there was a lot of restarting and then you had to reinstall 1.3.3.0 TWICE
THAT'S ALL GONE NOW,  NONE OF THAT IS NECESSARY

We are on like Version 10 of the script (Actually there are 12 versions of the script, but the last 2 are our business and just for debugging and dumps)
so as far as you're concerned, the script you should be using is
Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py
I HAVE ATTACHED THE SCRIPT AND CURRENT INSTRUCTIONS for you below

so NO, you shouldn't use the DrMefist0 Script anymore, you should use the updated one

I assume it will arrive with the latest firmware v01.03.03.00.
- Perhaps,  Althought IT DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE

if you were thinking that
- If your scope from the factory came with 1.3.3.0
- then you needed to downgrade to 1.3.2.2
NO, YOU DON'T NEED TO DO THAT

Your scope could arrive with firmware 1.3.0.3  and you'd still be able to activate it.
I'd like to keep the original firmware that Rigol made.
- I don't understand why you're getting clingy over firmware

- if your scope comes with 1.3.2.2  You'll be upgrading it to 1.3.3.0 anyway.
- If your scope comes with 1.3.3.0 and in the future rigol releases a new firmware, you'll be upgrading to that anyway
- All the firwares are Rigol's Original firmware regardless, that rigol made.

if for some weird reason you just feel the need to stay on a certain firmware version, YOU CAN DO THAT, that's fine
Just understand this.... the support for VNC Viewer (to be able to control your scope remotely) comes in with 1.3.2.2  so if you drop below that
........No VNC For you :P
But at the end of the day , it's your scope, Do what you like. i can only advise you.

My question is can I skip the backup and downgrade/upgrade steps and use just the script to activate the options?
YES, YOU CAN
BUT... YOU SHOULDN'T

Meaning... You shouldn't skip the Backup steps

My advice is this...
When you get from Factory

1. Do a backup (as per the instructions in the PDF below)  (If you don't, it's at your own risk) but you are free to skip this if YOU WANT. I can't stop you.

2. Don't worry about downgrade

3. However if your scope is on 1.3.2.2  I would suggest upgrade it to 1.3.3.0  first.  if it comes with 1.3.3.0  then no need to upgrade or downgrade

4. You can absolutely just activate the scopes options,  Follow the instructions in the PDF to do so
BUT WE HAVE MADE THE SCRIPT EASIER NOW

5. After you activate  DO THE BACKUPS AGAIN Because i'ts now activated and you may want to restore to this state in the future

You'll just need to do this
Code: [Select]
python Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py -i 10.1.1.666Where my I.P. Address is 10.1.1.666 and you should replace my address with your scopes I.P. Address
the -i switch will bring up information about your scope to confirm that you have communication to the scope

Next...
python Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py -r 10.1.1.666This is the REGENERATE PRIVATE KEY command

HOWEVER WE HAVE IMPROVED THE SCRIPT AS FOLLOWS...

- You won't need to enter
python Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py -a 10.1.1.666To activate, THE SCRIPT JUST GOES INTO THIS AUTOMATICALLY

- we have added an option to reboot by typing
--rebootTHIS HOWEVER HAPPENS AUTOMATICALLY now, if your scope needs a reboot, You don't need to do it or wonder when to do it

- We have added notifications in the script so you know when you need to pay attention to not accidentally lose power or network connection.
This will avoid you bricking your scope

- We have sped up the activation time so that you have less chance of bricking your scope, we also did this so people would stop wondering
  if the script or scope has frozen the screen.

- BASICALLY EVERYTHING IS DONE FOR YOU AFTER THAT FIRST COMMAND

Now...
If your scope comes loaded with SOME bundled options
You can just activate over the top of them, it doesn't matter

if you feel like you need to uninstall them first ( which you don't need to do really) you can use
python Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py -u 10.1.1.666After uninstallation, the scope will restart Automatically

This is also useful if you ever need to return the scope to rigol for servicing.
You now have the option to uninstall or install ALL OPTIONS or 1 at a time (This however is a more detailed process) which i have not yet
needed to explain to anyone.

so yeah. it's all done now,  new Script, Much more options, Everything works and no more Assertion Error, which is what happened with the DrMefist0 Script.
and there is bugger all chance of you actually bricking your scope, Over 200 people have been upgraded and licensed,  NOT 1 BRICKED THEIR SCOPE

And after this new script was brought it,  NO ONE has received an Assertion Error
as well as, This script also activates MSO7000 and MSO8000

and we are currently working on unlocking new options in the MSO5000 that would normally be in the MSO7000 and possibly MSO8000

so going back to that comment where you thought the MSO5000 was old    LOL
........We'll see

Now this new progress is still IN PROGRESS and there is no guarantee it will happen , WE ARE JUST LOOKING INTO IT
Although, we are somewhat hopeful that we'll get there

so for now,  These are your instructions,  USE THE NEW SCRIPT and the PDF supplied below and you'll be ok

Incidentally, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT OTHER INFORMATION , I thought i updated all the old information
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 03:19:20 pm by BTO »
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

The following users thanked this post: rlnd36

Offline diwilli

« Reply #2951 on: August 12, 2024, 01:36:13 pm »
Hi BTO,

Just found this.  When running the script I get the following error from a MSO5074.

╒═════════╤═══════════════╤════════════════╤═══════════════════╤═════════════╕
│ Model   │ Serial        │ Version        │ MAC               │ Lic Model   │
╞═════════╪═══════════════╪════════════════╪═══════════════════╪═════════════╡
│ MSO5074 │ MS5A212902944 │ 00.01.03.03.00 │ 00-19-AF-7B-0E-90 │ MSO5000     │
╘═════════╧═══════════════╧════════════════╧═══════════════════╧═════════════╛
╒═══════════════╤══════════╤═════════════════════════════════════════════════════╕
│ OPTION CODE   │ STATUS   │ DESCRIPTION                                         │
╞═══════════════╪══════════╪═════════════════════════════════════════════════════╡
│ 2RL           │ Forever  │ 200Mpts Deep Memory Option                          │
├───────────────┼──────────┼─────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤
│ COMP          │ ----     │ Computer Serial Triggering and Analysis(RS232/UART) │
├───────────────┼──────────┼─────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤
│ EMBD          │ ----     │ Embedded Serial Triggering and Analysis(IIC, SPI)   │
│ AUTO          │ ----     │ Automotive Serial Triggering and Analysis(CAN/LIN)  │
│ FLEX          │ ----     │ FlexRay Serial Triggering and Analysis              │
│ AUDIO         │ ----     │ Audio Serial Triggering and Analysis(I2S)           │
│ AERO          │ ----     │ MIL-STD 1553 Serial Triggering and Analysis         │
│ DG            │ ----     │ Dual Channel WaveGen 25 MHz AWG                     │
│ PWR           │ ----     │ Integrated Power Analysis                           │
│ BW07T1        │ ----     │ 70MHz to 100MHz Bandwidth Upgrade Option            │
│ BW07T2        │ ----     │ 70MHz to 200MHz Bandwidth Upgrade Option            │
│ BW07T3        │ ----     │ 70MHz to 350MHz Bandwidth Upgrade Option            │
╘═══════════════╧══════════╧═════════════════════════════════════════════════════╛
Reading CFRAM...
100%|████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████| 2048/2048 [00:03<00:00, 553.05it/s]
Reading CFRAM... **** COMPLETED ****
System Setup
  Language: E
  LoadLast: 0
  PowerStatus: 0
  GPIB: A6
  Cycle count: 65
  Live count: 0
  Keep Imp: 0
  IPmode: 0
100%|███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████| 150/150 [00:02<00:00, 51.20it/s]
..New CFRAM applied - REGEN **** COMPLETED ****
REBOOTING...
Waiting for device to be back online........................................................................DONE - PREPARE FOR REBOOT
REBOOT COMPLETED
**** DEVICE ONLINE ****
==================================================
....** ATTEMPTING ACTIVATION AND LICENSING ** ....
....**DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER OR DATA CABLE** ....
ACTIVATING:
4CH
[MSO5000-4CH@458A9D0AF57F3FE036551048AFDA87D01B0681F7217CAFD32FD09A7694CF44F2974DB47A13FF61BD169FEEB0CA1B952CCB1446A66EF588F8E73C63BD6A1043FD]...

ACTIVATED AND LICENSED.
ACTIVATING:
5RL
[MSO5000-5RL@0A337A62B0592AB4BB4A7FCB869BE751B5B38549B70C7BE7639CA7172FD05F0195D775ACA3144FA388DD268AACDAD62854A90EA042134EE5DACF136581902CD7]...

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/root/Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py", line 740, in <module>
    main()
  File "/root/Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py", line 732, in main
    activate_option(args.ip_addr, code.decode(), b'%s-%s@%s' % (k_model.encode(), code, opt[1]))
  File "/root/Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py", line 359, in activate_option
    res = s.recv(2)
socket.timeout: timed out

When checking through the UI I can confirm it's licensed the 4CH successfully.  I get the same if I run from either a Mac or a Linux machine.

Any ideas?

Offline diwilli

« Reply #2952 on: August 12, 2024, 02:01:14 pm »
Leaving my original post up, and coming back with the solution.

Running the script from a Windows 10 Laptop looks like worked without issues.  Odd that you still get the socket.timeout on the linux box as well though.

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2953 on: August 12, 2024, 02:56:28 pm »
Leaving my original post up, and coming back with the solution.

Running the script from a Windows 10 Laptop looks like worked without issues.  Odd that you still get the socket.timeout on the linux box as well though.

1. Ok so just to confirm, IT'S ALL ACTIVATED NOW .. Is that correct ?

2. If i were you i'd try running
pip listto see which modules are installed and if any other missing, ... install them then try again.

Beyond that
3. You could try running the -u switch to uninstall everything first   (You shouldn't have to, but you can try it)

4. Beyond that, i'll have to look into it
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2954 on: August 12, 2024, 03:10:17 pm »
Hi BTO,

Just found this.  When running the script I get the following error from a MSO5074.

╒═════════╤═══════════════╤════════════════╤═══════════════════╤═════════════╕
│ Model   │ Serial        │ Version        │ MAC               │ Lic Model   │
╞═════════╪═══════════════╪════════════════╪═══════════════════╪═════════════╡
│ MSO5074 │ MS5A212902944 │ 00.01.03.03.00 │ 00-19-AF-7B-0E-90 │ MSO5000     │
╘═════════╧═══════════════╧════════════════╧═══════════════════╧═════════════╛
╒═══════════════╤══════════╤═════════════════════════════════════════════════════╕
│ OPTION CODE   │ STATUS   │ DESCRIPTION                                         │
╞═══════════════╪══════════╪═════════════════════════════════════════════════════╡
│ 2RL           │ Forever  │ 200Mpts Deep Memory Option                          │
│ COMP          │ ----     │ Computer Serial Triggering and Analysis(RS232/UART) │
│ EMBD          │ ----     │ Embedded Serial Triggering and Analysis(IIC, SPI)   │
│ AUTO          │ ----     │ Automotive Serial Triggering and Analysis(CAN/LIN)  │
│ FLEX          │ ----     │ FlexRay Serial Triggering and Analysis              │
│ AUDIO         │ ----     │ Audio Serial Triggering and Analysis(I2S)           │
│ AERO          │ ----     │ MIL-STD 1553 Serial Triggering and Analysis         │
│ DG            │ ----     │ Dual Channel WaveGen 25 MHz AWG                     │
│ PWR           │ ----     │ Integrated Power Analysis                           │
│ BW07T1        │ ----     │ 70MHz to 100MHz Bandwidth Upgrade Option            │
│ BW07T2        │ ----     │ 70MHz to 200MHz Bandwidth Upgrade Option            │
│ BW07T3        │ ----     │ 70MHz to 350MHz Bandwidth Upgrade Option            │
╘═══════════════╧══════════╧═════════════════════════════════════════════════════╛
Reading CFRAM...
100%|████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████| 2048/2048 [00:03<00:00, 553.05it/s]
Reading CFRAM... **** COMPLETED ****
System Setup
  Language: E
  LoadLast: 0
  PowerStatus: 0
  GPIB: A6
  Cycle count: 65
  Live count: 0
  Keep Imp: 0
  IPmode: 0
100%|███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████| 150/150 [00:02<00:00, 51.20it/s]
..New CFRAM applied - REGEN **** COMPLETED ****
REBOOTING...
Waiting for device to be back online........................................................................DONE - PREPARE FOR REBOOT
REBOOT COMPLETED
**** DEVICE ONLINE ****
ACTIVATING:
4CH
[MSO5000-4CH@458A9D0AF57F3FE036551048AFDA87D01B0681F7217CAFD32FD09A7694CF44F2974DB47A13FF61BD169FEEB0CA1B952CCB1446A66EF588F8E73C63BD6A1043FD]...

ACTIVATED AND LICENSED.
ACTIVATING:
5RL
[MSO5000-5RL@0A337A62B0592AB4BB4A7FCB869BE751B5B38549B70C7BE7639CA7172FD05F0195D775ACA3144FA388DD268AACDAD62854A90EA042134EE5DACF136581902CD7]...

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/root/Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py", line 740, in <module>
    main()
  File "/root/Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py", line 732, in main
    activate_option(args.ip_addr, code.decode(), b'%s-%s@%s' % (k_model.encode(), code, opt[1]))
  File "/root/Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py", line 359, in activate_option
    res = s.recv(2)
socket.timeout: timed out

When checking through the UI I can confirm it's licensed the 4CH successfully.  I get the same if I run from either a Mac or a Linux machine.

Any ideas?

Yes, i have some ideas

if you know how to use nmap, Check to see if Port 5555 is Open or closed

as well as , Check your router, is it old or new or the condition or faulty, and check to see if the router has Port 5555 Open or closed
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline rlnd36

« Reply #2955 on: August 13, 2024, 09:46:33 am »
Hi BTO,

Thank you so much for your detailed answer, I saved all of this and I will use the script when my scope arrives. Also thanks to all the guys who made this activation possible. I will post an update once I received the device and succeeded with the activation.

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2956 on: August 13, 2024, 01:17:33 pm »
Hi BTO,

Thank you so much for your detailed answer, I saved all of this and I will use the script when my scope arrives. Also thanks to all the guys who made this activation possible. I will post an update once I received the device and succeeded with the activation.
You're Welcome,
and yes.. Please do post it when you do activate successfully as it does help others.
Speak to you soon
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

The following users thanked this post: rlnd36

Offline sscha04s

« Reply #2957 on: August 16, 2024, 05:39:20 am »
Hello,

I've recently purchased an MSO5074 and am running into the same socket timeout issue.  I tried a few different routers, and I'm fairly certain that port 5555 is open.  I've been able to get the 2RL deep memory licensed forever, but everything else is locked.  I tried upgrading from 1.3.2.2 to 1.3.3.0 but that didn't change anything.  Any suggestions are appreciated!  Cheers!

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2958 on: August 16, 2024, 11:38:28 am »
My MSO5000 has been seeing some bench time over the past couple of weeks, I'm on a project with multiple serial buses in different time domains so I'm up to 3 scopes.

As my bench is is running out of space, I have to say I've been impressed with the VNC remote performance in comparison to other scopes.

However I am seeing a problem with DHCP where it floods the network with DHCP requests and ignores responses. I can use a static IP address, but was wondering if this is a known issue. Both MSO5000 I have exhibit the same symptoms.

Firmware is 00.01.03.03.00.

Offline sscha04s

« Reply #2959 on: August 16, 2024, 09:51:10 pm »
Hello,

I just wanted to follow up--I was able to get the activation to work by using a different computer.  The first I tried was an older Win10 machine, which gave me the socket timeout error, and the one that worked was a newer Win11 machine.  If there's any info I can get from the machines to compare and find what the difference was, let me know where to look and I'll try to help.  Thanks!

Offline flash2b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2960 on: August 17, 2024, 08:31:43 am »
Seems that your Windows Defender Firewall blocked the port from the Python script. Did you check that ?

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2961 on: August 17, 2024, 02:01:30 pm »
Hello,

I just wanted to follow up--I was able to get the activation to work by using a different computer.  The first I tried was an older Win10 machine, which gave me the socket timeout error, and the one that worked was a newer Win11 machine.  If there's any info I can get from the machines to compare and find what the difference was, let me know where to look and I'll try to help.  Thanks!

Sorry for my absence , i've been a bit busy.
I agree with flash, ....
Even though the script does have debugging options which i don't really go into very often on the forum.
i do agree that it would have been security on your computer that is stopping it from activation, I agree, check Antivirus,
Check Firewall, See if Python is Trusted
Also check if you are on Public or Private network (you want it to be Private)
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline asp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2962 on: August 18, 2024, 10:46:41 pm »
Hey. I have just uploaded v2.13 of the rigol tool. With this version you can change sysvendor.bin (changing the model, serial number and mac). If you have a MSO5000, you can actually set the model to MSO5504 (goes to around 450Mhz but still).

I have posted the script in Hacking the Rigol MSO8204 / MSO8000 thread. (there is also a windows version so you don't need python anymore)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 11:05:44 am by asp »

The following users thanked this post: apulanta

Offline AlexS

« Reply #2963 on: August 26, 2024, 09:36:18 am »
Hey guys!
I have a second fully new Rigol MSO motherboard. I have 5072 model and one day one of signal generator just stopped working. Rigol sent me a new motherboard but in the same time I've repaired existing one.
So I want to sell a new motherboard that I don't need. Please, message me if someone need it. Shipping from Warsaw, Poland.

P.S. I am really sorry if I published it in the wrong topic.

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2964 on: Today at 12:06:12 am »
Hey guys!
I have a second fully new Rigol MSO motherboard. I have 5072 model and one day one of signal generator just stopped working. Rigol sent me a new motherboard but in the same time I've repaired existing one.
So I want to sell a new motherboard that I don't need. Please, message me if someone need it. Shipping from Warsaw, Poland.

P.S. I am really sorry if I published it in the wrong topic.

It belongs here..
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf