Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus - Bugs / Missing Features / Feature Requests  (Read 268832 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus - Bugs / Missing Features / Feature Requests
« Reply #800 on: November 19, 2023, 07:31:29 pm »
FYI
A 1.6.0 beta FW has been with beta testers for a few weeks to replace the current V1.5.2R3 FW.
Improvements are coming.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: giovannirat, KungFuJosh, Martin72, blurpy

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #801 on: November 19, 2023, 08:47:44 pm »
FYI
A 1.6.0 beta FW has been with beta testers for a few weeks to replace the current V1.5.2R3 FW.

Any spoilers on them improvements? 😉
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #802 on: November 19, 2023, 10:20:50 pm »
Realistically, do we think there's much hope of another feature release for this scope series? The most recent release which added new features worth mentioning was two years ago, according to the release notes. Is there any indication from Siglent that they will invest time into another feature upgrade?

As long as the EOL has not been reached, you can always count on something happening in this direction.
The Scope is now quite mature and has been on the market for three years, so the firmware update rate is correspondingly low.
The good thing is that the scope is based on the same UI as other models, be it the 5000X which made the start (2018), be it the 6000A which is the premium model, be it the HD which came out two years after the plus.
I don't know exactly, but I can imagine that when a new feature is realized, siglent looks to see if it can be realized on the other models, hardware-wise.
For example, digital filters, four math channels, four memory channels and memory management were not an issue in the consumer models at the beginning (recognizable by the "X" in the model name).
In the meantime, my HD has all this and I can well imagine that siglent are at least thinking about which of these features can also be added to the plus model.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 10:29:44 pm by Martin72 »
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #803 on: November 19, 2023, 10:34:07 pm »
For example, digital filters, four math channels, four memory channels and memory management were not an issue in the consumer models at the beginning (recognizable by the "X" in the model name).
In the meantime, my HD has all this and I can well imagine that siglent are at least thinking about which of these features can also be added to the plus model.

Here's hoping! I had not dared to suggest filters or more math channels, since I figured that the 2000X Plus CPU might be at capacity. But maybe we will get some pleasant surpises?

Let's hope that the incubation time of the new 1.6 firmware release is shorter than the one of the SDS1000X HD.  ::)

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #804 on: November 19, 2023, 10:41:04 pm »
Hold yours in your hands for now, if I remember correctly you have a DS1054Z - That will be a leap that will make you forget which features would still be nice to have.
So for now. ;)
As for the 1000X HD, I can't imagine that what it has more of won't work on the 2000Xplus platform. :-X
Apart from the 12 bit.
(Kierkegaard)

Offline phecap

• Contributor
« Reply #805 on: November 20, 2023, 07:26:29 am »
FYI
Have the PAL video triggering bugs also been reported to Siglent, as I mentioned earlier?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-bugs-missing-features-feature-requests/msg4975681/#msg4975681

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #806 on: November 20, 2023, 07:30:35 am »
FYI
Have the PAL video triggering bugs also been reported to Siglent, as I mentioned earlier?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-bugs-missing-features-feature-requests/msg4975681/#msg4975681
I only see Zone trigger addressed however not all improvements are in the list and the FW is not the same version that will be public.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: phecap

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #807 on: November 20, 2023, 11:32:44 am »
The next firmware might not be perceived as a major update, but it still comprises a small new feature...

And for those who are doubting: this will not be the end. HW resources are limited, but as long as resources permit, new features will still be implemented in the future even though the instrument is in the market for quite a while now. Stay tuned...

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh, Martin72, blurpy, phecap

Online blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #808 on: November 20, 2023, 05:59:45 pm »
2. Can the mouse cursor hide automatically when taking screenshots? Can't really see any reason to have the mouse cursor in the screenshot, and I find it distracting. It takes the focus away from what I'm trying to capture.

I could see the mouse cursor actually being useful in a screenshot, to point out some feature (or problem) in a trace. Hence I like the option to have it in the screenshot, or manually move it out of the way when I don't want it.

Annotations would be the ideal way to do that. See a quick video about how Rohde & Schwarz implemented it:
https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/knowledge-center/videos/r-s-rtb2000-easy-report-creation-video-detailpage_251220-505222.html

Since people here like the cursor, it could just be an option to have it hidden in screenshots.
I've used the scope for 2 years without missing a cursor on my screenshots, but having the mouse plugged in for a day was enough to annoy me. Can't imagine I'm the only one ;)

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #809 on: November 20, 2023, 06:20:42 pm »
The next firmware might not be perceived as a major update, but it still comprises a small new feature...

And for those who are doubting: this will not be the end. HW resources are limited, but as long as resources permit, new features will still be implemented in the future even though the instrument is in the market for quite a while now. Stay tuned...

I am very pleased to read that -- well, at least the second part of your message. ;)

But I would be even more pleased to see corresponding action from Siglent. As mentioned earlier, it looks like the last somewhat major functional update happened two years ago, and learning that 1.6 will be yet another minor release is not too encouraging. Does that mean another year until we can (maybe) check a few things off the wishlist?

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #810 on: November 20, 2023, 07:07:49 pm »
This is also a wishlist, not a to do list. ;)
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #811 on: November 20, 2023, 07:20:18 pm »
This is also a wishlist, not a to do list. ;)

Sure, but seeing Siglent grant some wishes would please me. (And others too, I guess.) ;)

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #812 on: November 21, 2023, 07:39:52 am »
I think I should clarify some things.

This thread has been started with the intention to have all bug reports and feature requests in one place, so far, so good. Most of the bugs have been fixed and quite some features added, sometimes even without notice in the version history. The scopes wouldn’t be as good as they are without the constructive feedback from competent users.

Other than some of the competition, Siglent has opted to cooperate with beta testers and consultants from the (also high end) industry quite a while ago. These folks build a team that not only reports bugs and requests features, but have also compiled long lists of requirements and corresponding feature requests long before an instrument was released in the western world. Even these folks have had to learn that not every single wish or recommendation would be accepted by the majority within the team, hence wouldn’t make it on said list. And then we had to learn that Siglent R&D always has the last (and most important) vote, as only they can decide what is feasible at all and how big the risk of certain modifications is.

For instance, I’ve fought long and hard to get four math channels on the SDS2104X Plus, it just wasn’t possible because of the lack of hardware resources. The same goes for the HW-supported acquisition modes ERES and Average, which had to be sacrificed because of the 10 bit mode – which has absolutely no speed penalty and most users will value it pretty quickly.

Our fellow forum member Martin72 has pestered me endlessly because of the above shortcomings, nevertheless I couldn’t change the facts. At least we’ve got the formula editor to mitigate the sparse number of math channels a little.

This thread contains many sensible requests and most of them have been or will be fulfilled, either because they happen to be similar to something that was already requested by the beta team, or someone was brave enough to report it to Siglent – every user could do this by themselves, by the way. On the other hand, there are also the users who happily request things without the bigger picture and without knowing much about the details of a modern DSO.

And sometimes we hear arguments like: “but the DS1054Z can do that!”, not taking into account that you can easily implement everything you like on a scope that only uses screen buffer data (some 1 kpts) for everything, whereas e.g. an SDS1000X-E has to deal with up to 14 Mpts for each operation (math, measurements…), hence requires orders of magnitude more processing power and memory space to accomplish the same thing – but also presents usable results in return.

Another classic: “We want some additional info on the screen, and there is some unused space somewhere in the info-bar, why not put it there?” this comes from people who have never seen a full fledged instrument (e.g. with MSO option), where every square centimeter of space is in use.

Nevertheless, thanks to such user complaints the UI of Siglent scopes provides an unrivaled amount of information, hence a clear picture about the setup, which makes screenshots almost self-explanatory. You need not guess about the sample rate, record length, input bandwidth, probe factor, coupling, input impedance – even the acquisition mode is clearly shown with the newest firmware. And never requested by anyone, but provided by Siglent right from the start, the 7-digit trigger frequency counter, which is permanently visible. I would never have a DSO without that feature.

To cut a long story short: we all, users, consultants and beta testers have to live with real world constraints, where limited (also human) resources is one of them. And there might be good reasons, why some wishes cannot be fulfilled. And even when a request is granted, it might have been assigned a low priority and take quite a while until it can be released. Or R&D faces difficulties and they have to discard all the work so far and start again with a new approach.

Whenever you buy a new instrument, you have to make your decision based on the current state of things, as it is documented in the data sheets and various demonstrations in the associated thread in this forum. You cannot say: “oh, I want 4 math channels and HW accelerated average acquisition and this scope doesn’t have it, but hey, there’s a ‘bug and feature’ thread, I’ll place my wishes there and expect it to be available with the next firmware update, which I’d like to receive within the next two months. If not, I’ll call Siglent a bad company!”

« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 07:51:56 am by Performa01 »

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, ebastler, KungFuJosh, Martin72, dibro, phecap

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #813 on: November 21, 2023, 08:09:42 am »
Our fellow forum member Martin72 has pestered me endlessly because of the above shortcomings

Sorry... ;)

(Kierkegaard)

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #814 on: November 21, 2023, 08:16:36 am »
Thank you for the perspective, Performa01. To be clear, I certainly don't expect Siglent to grant every wish and implement every feature request; that would obviously be unreasonable.

More clarity would help to manage expectations -- e.g. your statement that four math channels just can't happen due to limited computational resources. I had suspected that, but had not yet seen a clear statement anywhere. More transparency regarding timelines would also be helpful in my opinion. I would strongly encourage Siglent to switch to a time-boxed development and release cycle for updates once an instrument is in "sustaining" mode: Set a release cadence upfront, say one feature release per year, then implement features incrementally until the drop-dead date for the test and release phase.

May I also say that the Siglent advocates here on the forum have set expectations pretty high. Siglent is touted as "the company which keeps developing their products and adding features throughout the product life cycle", and also as "the company which does not implement 'checkbox features' just to have them in the spec sheet, but does things properly". Seeing that the last major feature release for the SDS2000X+ happened two years ago, and apparently the next one will not happen soon, conflicts with those expectations. And seeing the very basic AWG in the same scope, and its lack of integration with the scope functionality, is not in line with the second claim.

I have nevertheless ordered the 2000X+, based on its current specs. It still seems to be the best match for my needs within the budget I have set for myself. But it was a painful decision due to some of the unexpected limitations, and I was hoping that the firmware update plans would make it a bit easier.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #815 on: November 21, 2023, 01:25:04 pm »
Thank you for the perspective, Performa01. To be clear, I certainly don't expect Siglent to grant every wish and implement every feature request; that would obviously be unreasonable.

More clarity would help to manage expectations -- e.g. your statement that four math channels just can't happen due to limited computational resources. I had suspected that, but had not yet seen a clear statement anywhere. More transparency regarding timelines would also be helpful in my opinion. I would strongly encourage Siglent to switch to a time-boxed development and release cycle for updates once an instrument is in "sustaining" mode: Set a release cadence upfront, say one feature release per year, then implement features incrementally until the drop-dead date for the test and release phase.

May I also say that the Siglent advocates here on the forum have set expectations pretty high. Siglent is touted as "the company which keeps developing their products and adding features throughout the product life cycle", and also as "the company which does not implement 'checkbox features' just to have them in the spec sheet, but does things properly". Seeing that the last major feature release for the SDS2000X+ happened two years ago, and apparently the next one will not happen soon, conflicts with those expectations. And seeing the very basic AWG in the same scope, and its lack of integration with the scope functionality, is not in line with the second claim.

I have nevertheless ordered the 2000X+, based on its current specs. It still seems to be the best match for my needs within the budget I have set for myself. But it was a painful decision due to some of the unexpected limitations, and I was hoping that the firmware update plans would make it a bit easier.

If you don't mind, I would like to throw in my 2c into discussion.

Statements on how Siglent keeps developing products are more than true. Track record speaks for them.

In my experience expectations by customers are almost always "too optimistic". From my own experience, with my own products. Nothing wrong with that, but customer expectations are not same as the promise by the manufacturer. Manufacturer might give their best to keep the platform live and vibrant or they can release it, fix glaring mistakes and forget about it.  It is up to reader to do their homework which is which.

As to expectations, fact that Siglent is still keeping this scope in active development and keeps adding features long after release should not be confused with "Siglent promises to keep adding major features that will with time convert a 1000€ scope into same capability as 20000€ LeCroy". 

Realistically, manufacturer will add features to keep scope competent contender in a marketplace where it belongs.  They might add a bit more to keep it fresh and to keep certain strategic advantage. But mostly never it will grow so much to exit it's class and enter one above. For both strategic and technical reasons.

Unfortunately, I don't keep an archive of old datasheets and manuals so we can compare. Shame.

As for development and release schedules, that is also interesting and not so simple topic.

First, these touchscopes from Siglent are part of platform based on common code base.
While they don't share common FW in binary form, they share common framework.

Adding new features logically happens on platform level and then gets propagated to it's members, based on product placement, architecture and technical details.
There will be some implementation details specific to certain model. If that specific detail would require a separate, model specific, piece of code to accomplish something differently than the rest, than that is not optimal. In which case chance of that happening is not so high, unless it is something of vital importance. Sometimes, a feature is developed for higher models and propagated to all because it is nice to have and no problem to implement. Like mounting disk shares etc...

Development and release cycles are all impacted by this. This makes them highly nonlinear and interdependent.

In addition to that, modern practice to develop software on fixed released schedules without and regard to quality or completeness of code has shown catastrophic results for quality of code.
Just look at Rigol which released 4 different new scopes (4 products) based solely on management decision to stick to aggressive timetables. It's been half a year now... They basically released hardware-software prototypes, what Microsoft would call RC (release candidates). It is almost completely defined hardware and software developed to the point of software architecture largely defined and basic modules implemented in their first iteration.

This is what you get if you have to release software twice a year instead of when it's done..
Since Siglent is very mindful of their professional market (while Rigol seems to focus mostly on hobby market, strategically) they make sure their releases pass the litmus test before releasing.  Of course nothing is completely perfect all the time, but they put in serious effort to do so.  As opposed to blatant disregard to these principles like some other do.

I ask you to take Keysight and R&S as example an take a look how aggressive are they with releases and how often they do them.
And how many real features they added during lifecycle. Whatever they did add was to simply fix initial bad decision to artificially limit products in a first place.  R&S added slightly better math on RTB2000 only after sever backlash by users that complained that 3000-4000 € scope had worse math than 500€ Chinese scopes. You still have to buy segmented memory and basic decodes for RTB2000 as a separate option..  Or Keysight with 1000X where they finally opened up DSOX1204 to have simply basic functions other much less expensive scope had for years.  Basic measurement statistics was only added in september of 2021. and that was last release of FW for it. Since release there were only 4 FW updates (since October 2018).

None of the "big boys" will ever commit to any schedules or feature.
FW updates are in a way a strategic resource, nobody wants to open their cards..

I thing Siglent is actually doing a better job in this regard.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 02:18:42 pm by 2N3055 »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, ebastler, KungFuJosh, Martin72

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #816 on: November 21, 2023, 01:43:02 pm »

I have nevertheless ordered the 2000X+, based on its current specs. It still seems to be the best match for my needs within the budget I have set for myself.

Good choice!!

You'll like the 2000X+, quite a value, and slated more for professional types with higher end features that are actually useful and work rather than being cute!!

For example, just yesterday we modified our flawed Micsig DP10007 Differential Probe (thanks ExaLab!!). This is a simple hardware "fix" to improve CMRR (way out of spec), and requires recalibration. When attempting such the signal of interest is buried in noise, and difficult to null. However employing the SD2000X+ nice FFT (it's somewhat slow tho) makes this nulling exercise a little easier to accomplish.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-eevblog-hv-probe/150/

Also, contrary to many opinions, we've found the Bode Function (FRA) quite useful, and even developed a set of "Injection Transformers" to support Open Loop measurements within Closed Loop Systems!!

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, ebastler

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #817 on: November 21, 2023, 03:33:50 pm »
Well, Siglent certainly has loyal customers/beta-testers/consultants here -- so they must be doing something right!  :-+

Thanks for you long post, 2N3055. You make several valid points. I'll comment on just a few aspects where I don't concur:

As to expectations, fact that Siglent is still keeping this scope in active development and keeps adding features long after release should not be confused with "Siglent promises to keep adding major features that will with time convert a 1000€ scope into same capability as 20000€ LeCroy". 

Realistically, manufacturer will add features to keep scope competent contender in a marketplace where it belongs.  They might add a bit more to keep it fresh and to keep certain strategic advantage. But mostly never it will grow so much to exit it's class and enter one above. For both strategic and technical reasons.

Can we please keep this discussion fair and level. I don't think I suggested anything unreasonable which would catapult the scope out of its class:
  • The ability to "trim" a captured waveform and send it to the AWG -- such that a full period is played back, rather than some arbitrary chunk which happens to fit the screen width -- is standard on pretty much every DSO with a built-in AWG, to my knowledge.
  • Filters (as a Math operation) are also standard in this class, e.g. on the RTB2000, DSOX1200, MSO5000. The SDS2000X+ is the odd one out here, since it apparently still does not have them. And while I get it that going beyond 2 math channels would stretch the computational resources too much, I can't see why simple FIR or IIR filters should require more computing power than other math operations.
  • Being able to configure a WiFi dongle is not standard yet. But since Siglent have this feature in the lower-end scopes, and actually have the RTL8188 driver up and running on the X+, it seems like low-hanging fruit and a nice differentiator.
So please don't give a distorted view of user expecations here.

As for development and release schedules, that is also interesting and not so simple topic.
[...]
In addition to that, modern practice to develop software on fixed released schedules without and regard to quality or completeness of code has shown catastrophic results for quality of code.
Just look at Rigol which released 4 different new scopes (4 products) based solely on management decision to stick to aggressive timetables. [...]
This is what you get if you have to release software twice a year instead of when it's done..

Sure, I know about dependencies, platform approach etc.; I have been working in industrial instrument R&D for a long time. I specifically suggested that Siglent switch to a time-boxed approach once the product is in "sustaining" mode, with incremental feature additions and bug fixes -- not for new development.  No need for shadow-boxing, please.

FW updates are in a way a strategic resource, nobody wants to open their cards..

Again, commiting to features upfront is not what I suggested. The idea is to commit to a timeline cadence for updates -- so customers see that you are still committed to the product, and don't keep scratching at your door to ask when the next update will come. Keep the scope of the release open, to manage technical risk and keep some flexibility in the resources you can assign to firmware improvements.

Maybe this is not standard in the industry. I am not saying that Siglent is doing worse than other brands. But I think this would be a realistic approach how they could do better than the competition.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #818 on: November 21, 2023, 04:45:16 pm »
Being able to configure a WiFi dongle is not standard yet. But since Siglent have this feature in the lower-end scopes, and actually have the RTL8188 driver up and running on the X+, it seems like low-hanging fruit and a nice differentiator.

The idea is to commit to a timeline cadence for updates -- so customers see that you are still committed to the product, and don't keep scratching at your door to ask when the next update will come.

You don't need a wifi dongle if it's that important to you. You can connect a TL-WR902AC or TL-WR802N or similar to connect your scope via wifi. The wifi dongle idea limits your ability for range and speed.

I completely disagree with you on setting dates for the firmware releases. There's absolutely no point beyond consumers having something to look forward to. The way they do it now is perfect. Work on shit, test it, test it more, then release it. The flipside of your idea is that a bug fix could be ready, but the release date is 4 months away. What's the point of that? If stuff is ready, release it! If not, don't!

"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: tautech, umgfoin

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #819 on: November 21, 2023, 04:48:56 pm »
Well, Siglent certainly has loyal customers/beta-testers/consultants here -- so they must be doing something right!  :-+

In our case Siglent had to "Earn" our loyalty !!

Our career spanned over 6 decades (still going), mostly in R&D, and we've used just every piece of TE one can imagine. When we retired from regular duty and formed our own company, our 1st major purchase was a DSO/MSO.

We loitered here for awhile gathering information and understanding sources of such, we decided to get the Siglent SDS2000X+ a few years ago, best equipment purchase decision we've made, so we got another!! So next was a SA, SSA3021X+ another good decision, then AWG the SDG2042X and SDG6022X pretty darn good AWGs, then the PS the SDP3303X, also pretty good and we got 2 more, then SDM3065X, not a DMM we particularly are fond of (not bad tho, but for our precision use it's up against some stiff competition) and why we have 3 KS34465As, DM6500, HP34401A and AG34401A. When we needed an Electronic Load and got the SDL1020X-E which has been put through it's paces wrt dealing with lots of power up to 30amps emulating various high power loads and it hasn't smoked yet!! Believe me we didn't expect it to survive what we've thrown at it, but it has, a tribute to the design and margin involved :-+

With all this Siglent equipment we haven't seen a hiccup yet (well we did screw up a PS by not following the Cal procedure properly, Siglent NA fixed it at no charge!!), even just today we "thought" our SDG6022X had developed a problem (see attachment). Figured the AWG somehow got hosed it up and causing the squarewave with issue shown. Checked everything over and over, even started a post and when back before posting and tried to "think" what could cause this, and rechecked everything again, nope nothing found. Then we reminded ourselves KTI (Know Thy Instrument), and went back a 3rd time and sure enough we had the output waveform combine turn "ON", dumb arse |O

We have other equipment from Konrad, Tonghui, Hioki, GW Instek, Rigol, Pico, Tektronix, LeCroy, Micsig, Analog Discovery and so on, and tend to do our homework before acquisition and don't like to return things unless they are defective, or totally misleading.

We have a pro-equipment mentality, and a pro-support mentality, meaning we don't want to take advantage of suppliers and such as they are the life blood of our chosen field, and without such we would be back in the electronics "dark ages", but also don't hold back when somethings not right, and/or equipment is misleading in performance expectations (many stories behind this).

Anyway, as always YMMV and we've certainly got good mileage from our Siglent gear!! 

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, tautech, KungFuJosh

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #820 on: November 21, 2023, 06:11:48 pm »

Thanks for you long post, 2N3055. You make several valid points. I'll comment on just a few aspects where I don't concur:

Can we please keep this discussion fair and level. I don't think I suggested anything unreasonable which would catapult the scope out of its class:
  • The ability to "trim" a captured waveform and send it to the AWG -- such that a full period is played back, rather than some arbitrary chunk which happens to fit the screen width -- is standard on pretty much every DSO with a built-in AWG, to my knowledge.
  • Filters (as a Math operation) are also standard in this class, e.g. on the RTB2000, DSOX1200, MSO5000. The SDS2000X+ is the odd one out here, since it apparently still does not have them. And while I get it that going beyond 2 math channels would stretch the computational resources too much, I can't see why simple FIR or IIR filters should require more computing power than other math operations.
  • Being able to configure a WiFi dongle is not standard yet. But since Siglent have this feature in the lower-end scopes, and actually have the RTL8188 driver up and running on the X+, it seems like low-hanging fruit and a nice differentiator.
So please don't give a distorted view of user expecations here.

[...]
Just look at Rigol which released 4 different new scopes (4 products) based solely on management decision to stick to aggressive timetables. [...]

Sure, I know about dependencies, platform approach etc.; I have been working in industrial instrument R&D for a long time. I specifically suggested that Siglent switch to a time-boxed approach once the product is in "sustaining" mode, with incremental feature additions and bug fixes -- not for new development.  No need for shadow-boxing, please.

Again, commiting to features upfront is not what I suggested. The idea is to commit to a timeline cadence for updates -- so customers see that you are still committed to the product, and don't keep scratching at your door to ask when the next update will come. Keep the scope of the release open, to manage technical risk and keep some flexibility in the resources you can assign to firmware improvements.

Maybe this is not standard in the industry. I am not saying that Siglent is doing worse than other brands. But I think this would be a realistic approach how they could do better than the competition.

I do try to keep discussion fair and level. If I fail sometimes that is because of me being human. There will always be misunderstandings and failing to explain things in a way others can easily understand. Fact that most of us are communicating in second language does not help either.

I would just like to respond to you on few things I would like to point out.

I was talking about expectations in regards to  capabilities as released/ few years later on the same scope. Not compared to other scopes in same class. 

Those other scopes also have many shortcomings and architectural differences that benefit some features and are impeding others.
They work with smaller memories and decimated data.

As I said, a simplified Filter package just for 2000X+ probably could be made. But not very likely only for it.
If they find a way to run full filter package you will get it. Filtering also might be connected with manual control of sampling rate...

As for cadence of updates, in my opinion, those agile development processes are producing horrible code quality. Because they shift priority from quality or even functionality to regular releases. So big, chunky problems sometimes are not even solved because they  don't fit into framework.. I have several friends working in very serious software development and they tell me horror stories all the time.

As I said, development of firmware is very interdependent. Sometimes one part waits for other.. Regular releases without substance but with full regression test nevertheless are huge resource hog. It is something Boeing does to US military because their contracts allow for it. And they have to give proof of progress all the time..

When you are doing most efficient internal development, on a stable and mature device, you obey your priorities. And you don't release just to throw dog a bone. I believe Siglent wouldn't do that to their customers, out of respect. When they have something of substance they release it. Otherwise they are not insulting customers with trivial distractions...

Just to make sure, I am not belittling your opinion but trying to give you more insight into process..

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #821 on: November 21, 2023, 07:47:10 pm »
So big, chunky problems sometimes are not even solved [in a time-boxed development process] because they don't fit into framework..

Looking back over the firmware release notes, what would be examples of big, chunky problems (or features), requiring major changes to the existing framework, which Siglent tackled in the 2000X+ after its release?

[...] trying to give you more insight into process..

Thanks. As mentioned, I have done and led R&D for scientific instruments (which do of course include firmware and PC software these days) for a few decades, so I get the idea. ::)

I am still a firm believer in time-boxed releases, for the incremental features and bug fixes that typically get implemented after a product has shipped. I don't see why would not be entirely feasible, with good product quality, and with happy customers.

Heck, am I the only one who gets disappointed when tautech indicates that we will eventually get another firmware release (with a new major version number, and after more than a year of no user-facing updates) -- only to be told by Performa01 that it will not be a major update, but will comprise a single, small new feature?  :-\

Oh -- I am the only one, at least in here? Never mind, I'll shut up then...

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #822 on: November 21, 2023, 07:57:43 pm »
Heck, am I the only one who gets disappointed when tautech indicates that we will eventually get another firmware release (with a new major version number, and after more than a year of no user-facing updates) -- only to be told by Performa01 that it will not be a major update, but will comprise a single, small new feature?  :-\

You made an assumption based on a version number without any other information. I miiiight have had a similar thought, but since nothing specific has been confirmed, I'm not going to get excited about it.

I want my scope to be and remain stable. That's what I care about. The biggest bug that bugs me is the popup not going away on its own after taking a screenshot. I'm pretty sure that's going to be taken care of in the next firmware update. Beyond that, I hope it keeps working forever until I get bored and get something shinier and newer.

My only big wish for the scope would be a more efficient bode plot that doesn't take as long. But I can live with it as it is if I need to.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #823 on: November 21, 2023, 08:08:49 pm »
As mentioned there will be improvements that won't be mentioned in release notes....there always is.

However full tests of this FW need be made and errors sorted.....

Adding new features logically happens on platform level and then gets propagated to it's members, based on product placement, architecture and technical details.
This ^

One improvement hoping to be rolled into 2kX+ and gradually into all models is colored trace markers in Digital mode....a little but nice improvement I suggested some months back which was accepted by Siglent and endorsed by all beta testers.

Improvement is continual......just as it should be.
However development teams currently also have a lot on their plate......
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #824 on: November 21, 2023, 08:22:43 pm »
I'm pretty sure that's going to be taken care of in the next firmware update.

Me too. ;)

The Scope has been on the market for 3 years, here is an (incomplete) list of innovations and improvements that have been incorporated since then in addition to the bug fixes.
  • Supported to hide analog traces
    Added function expression information to the math box
    Frequency counter supported to count serial trigger events
    Supported Sign as a math function
    New serial protocols supported (optional):
    SENT, trigger & decode
    Manchester, decode only
    Measurement enhancement:
    Supported user-defined thresholds (Upper, Middle and Lower): Measure | Config | Threshold
    Added items: +Area@AC, -Area@AC, Area@AC, AbsArea@AC
    Math: added new operator – Interpolate
    Display:
    Supported selectable color for traces: Display | Color Setting
    Supported floating menu so that the waveform is not compressed  horizontally when the right-side menu is displayed: Display | Menu Style
    Supported to show bandwidth information on the channel descriptor box
    Save/Recall:
    Added option “Save all channel” for csv file
    Supported to save math traces (except FFT)
    Supported serial trigger as source of the frequency counter
    Unlocked zoom in stop mode for Roll
    Supported trigger Default or AutoSetup operations by pressing corresponding button twice
    Measurement enhancement:
    Supported cursors for measurement
    Supported Track plot
    Added parameters: Positive Slope and Negative Slope
    Display:
    Supported to display axis label
    Auto hide menu setting increased to 10 seconds
    Added “Hide” button in the fast menu of channel for quickly hiding trace
    Save/Recall:
    Supported network storage
    Supported to Print only grid area
    Supported to save FFT result
    Updated the File Manager
    Bode Plot:
    The maximum generator amplitude changed from 6Vp-p to 24Vp-p
    Supported single sweep
    Horizontal: Time Zero strategy updated – time zero changed from center display to trigger position.
    Supported setting Cursors by virtual keypad
That's quite unique from one manufacturer, I don't know of any other, so we should "turn a blind eye" if there hasn't been another banger recently.... ;)
(Kierkegaard)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf