Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X HD, 12bit, 2GSa/s high definition oscilloscope serie.  (Read 335755 times)

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X HD, 12bit, 2GSa/s high definition oscilloscope serie.
« Reply #550 on: January 17, 2023, 07:33:06 am »
But then Siglent came out with the 2000X plus series.
And I was so convinced of the series that three of them are now in daily use at work and another three will be ordered in a few weeks.
Time to wake up and save money.... ;)
Well, OK, maybe...
As i said before, with the LeCroy I was so fascinated, so one had to be mine.
Now I can understand why forum member "Wuerstchenhund"  has lamented so much about LeCroy`s.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #551 on: January 17, 2023, 02:02:24 pm »
Me I was "growing up" with lecroy.
The new touchscreen scopes from siglent got more from lecroy than any other, it´s the result of their "partnership" I guess.
And we shouldn´t forget that (at least) two current lecroy models are made by siglent:

WS3000Z

WS4000HD
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #552 on: January 17, 2023, 06:36:04 pm »
The new touchscreen scopes from siglent got more from lecroy than any other, it´s the result of their "partnership" I guess.
And we shouldn´t forget that (at least) two current lecroy models are made by siglent:

WS3000Z

WS4000HD
You overlook:
T3DSO1000/1000A (SDS5000X)
T3DSO2000A          (SDS2000X Plus)
T3DSO3000            (SDS1000X-E)

Source:
https://teledynelecroy.com/oscilloscope/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #553 on: January 17, 2023, 06:41:50 pm »
I´ve "overlooked" them because it´s too obviously... ;)
(Kierkegaard)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #554 on: January 17, 2023, 06:44:26 pm »
I´ve "overlooked" them because it´s too obviously... ;)
To you and I, of course but as we know, not everyone is so observant.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #555 on: January 17, 2023, 09:03:19 pm »
I was and still interested in rather something like HDO6000 "12 bits all the time" and "2,5 GS/s all the time" :P

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #556 on: January 17, 2023, 09:17:15 pm »

WS3000Z

WS4000HD
You overlook:
T3DSO1000/1000A (SDS5000X)
T3DSO2000A          (SDS2000X Plus)
T3DSO3000            (SDS1000X-E)

Source:
https://teledynelecroy.com/oscilloscope/

though they don't come with MAUI (so they aren't true lecroy to me)

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #557 on: January 17, 2023, 09:49:03 pm »
I was and still interested in rather something like HDO6000 "12 bits all the time" and "2,5 GS/s all the time" :P

You have 12 bit all the time and min. 1GSa/s with the HD.
For what do you need 2.5 GSa/s "all the time" ?
(Kierkegaard)

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #558 on: January 17, 2023, 10:00:20 pm »
Sorry, my bad, typo.
But actually good question.
I wanted to say - without interleaving.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 10:08:32 pm by bozidarms »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #559 on: January 17, 2023, 10:06:06 pm »
I keep asking myself that question, too, because I just don't know much about it.  ;)
Time for a new topic...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 11:07:07 pm by Martin72 »
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #560 on: January 22, 2023, 12:08:58 am »
"Today" I´ve used the bode function for checking some things on a differential probe.
What I don´t like is that when this mode is active, you can´t do anything else except what the bode menu allows you to do.
For example, when you want to change something in the channel menu, no chance, you have to leave the bode mode first.
And then you have to wait...Sandclock appears...tic tic tic..Ah, now it´s ready.
Changing something and then returning to the bode function.
Could get better, no question.
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: TopQuark, veegee

Offline danils

• Contributor
« Reply #561 on: January 24, 2023, 02:47:15 pm »
hi all,

I was checking the whole thread from the beginning because I remember there was a kind of guidance about "improving" the scope but I was unable to find anything now. Could anybody post some guidance about?

Thanks

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #562 on: January 24, 2023, 05:25:45 pm »
because I remember there was a kind of guidance about "improving" the scope but I was unable to find anything now

As far as I remember, there was a post here with the completion message regarding "improvement", but no instructions.
Because there are no "official" instructions.
(Kierkegaard)

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #563 on: January 24, 2023, 11:12:48 pm »
Another thing, concerning the formular editor:
Is it possible to bind in measured values?
E.g. C1(rms)/C2(rms) ?
Directly I can´t see such possibility and if not, it would be nice to have it.

(Kierkegaard)

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #564 on: January 24, 2023, 11:57:24 pm »
E.g. C1(rms)/C2(rms) ?
You cannot.
But that poses the problem of chicken and an egg...
Math channel draws a graph from data that is transformed by typed in formula. There are many measurements that run on full data. So when scope starts drawing from 1st point what is RMS value? There isn't one. RMS value is calculated from full data. So scope would need to first calculate all measurements and then plot the math..
What happens if you have RMS measurement over Math channel?..
See it gets complicated really fast...

But one thing that could be made would be custom (formula based) measurements. One use would be scaling and conversion of data from sensors. You take frequency and divide by 3600 to get RPM... things like that.

The following users thanked this post: ozkarah

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #565 on: January 25, 2023, 12:36:42 am »
IIRC Lecroy has all that (but need to have some "advanced math" license at least on the old X-Stream scopes): math on measurements, full custom measurements, trend/track waveforms for measurements. It's true that it can get somewhat complicated, e.g. there are different modes for "long-term" measurement plotting and short-term per-cycle measurements that are synchronized with acquisition.

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #566 on: January 26, 2023, 05:21:02 pm »
E.g. C1(rms)/C2(rms) ?

I asked about this long ago for the Plus. There is kind of a workaround regarding rms that I wrote about here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-bugs-missing-features-feature-requests/msg3737614/?topicseen#msg3737614

I believe Tek also supports using measurements in math.

Offline djeZo888

« Reply #567 on: February 06, 2023, 01:07:41 pm »
Hi!

Is there anyone who would be willing to PM me instructions to hack SDS2104X HD?

Thanks!

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #568 on: February 25, 2023, 07:18:47 pm »
I will quote this (below) here for continue this here about Siglent SDS2000X HD model wfm speed and segment speed many things. (so that this do not make OT in other thread)  Normal mode wfm/s speed is not so important but also it have some things good to know including also normal history mode (what really is not suitable for segmented acquistions without enough knowledge about its limits). Its burst-type acquisition operation is good to understand, then the user can perhaps avoid some traps.

But Sequence mode is very different.
There is also good to know absolutely trusted limits for know that wanted triggering event does not drop out from acquisition. The average speed is often almost insignificant due to the nature of the needs for which fast sequence mode is used.

One simplified example about trap. Lets think there is 100ns pulses in continuous stream 1ms -2ms period (100ns pulses freq 0.5-1kHz) some people may think it is easy peace of bisquit and think he capture every these pulses using normal mode and after example one minute stop and look every pulse and its time position from history. Then he is watching time stamps for looking delta time between pulses. And his test goes soon to garbage when he fid there is something weird. Now one tell him there is missing pulses, no one turn on red light there is missing pulses. And there can be, due to oscilloscope (if DUT do not have missing pulses, how he know which one is quilty). Every time pulse occurs in this time when acquisition keep pause this pulse is missing from history - of course.

Sequence mode is different and better tool for this.
But with it, we need know its limits with different t/div scales and channels in use. Only then we can be sure that these events we want capture are really captured and not dropped out. (even more when Memory management is not in Auto mode but user set "fixed" sample rate or "fixed" memory.)
It is too heavy work to do table for all setup combinations so user need somehow test it for his dedicated purpose. If can not find ready data for it.  Things can also change some amount by new FW versions.

In this said example case it do not drop out pulses until maximum amount of user defined segments are captured.

ETA: Testing this is very time consumpting. Specially if want find even somehow accurate guaranteed maximum limit and so that it is reliable.
I use method where amount of segments is maximum and then pulse generator generate pulse bursts where one burst include exactly same amount of pulses as is segment count.  This is repeated enough long time for find if even in rare case single pulse dropped. It is possible it capture 100 or 1000 sequence perfectly but then in one  sequence there drop is missing one pulse. This can easy do so that generator run in burst mode and automatically repeat this burst.
Other oscilloscope follow tested oscilloscope trigger out. Main window so that whole sequence in inside screen. Zoom window just display last pulses and display persistence infinite. If pulse speed is too high it can detect from 2'ns oscilloscope screen.
Other possible method is 2 channel counter. Counter count burst pulses and oscilloscope trig out pulses. If after burst, trig out is less than pulses in burst game is clear. Speed is too high. This is not full guaranteed speed of sequence. Drop burst pulse frequency until count match every time... when go to near maximum it may need run hundreds of sequence or even more until we can write it is guaranteed speed what is small amount less than last clear long run test..

In normal mode, the structural and programmed fact of such an oscilloscope is that the wfm/s rate is an average with some peak value,  it operates in burst mode. Trigger...save...trig..save...etc and then break this burst and do screen update (captures stacked to display) and after then repeat new burst cycle. Now the situation can be that inside the burst a speed can be example so that it can capture new wfm every 10us. But then it keep pause, what can be example 2ms. During this time, the oscilloscope will not start a new acquisition if trigger condition is met. This potential new wfm just went down the drain.

In the fast Sequence recording, on the other hand, there is no pause during the Sequence. Nor does the oscilloscope do anything extra to enable the fastest possible re-triggering and acquisition. Fastest trigger interval is 2us in this mode. But it is true only when 1 channel is in use and t/div is 50ns/div. Segment length is in this case 1 kpts. These kind of segments can be in one Sequence max 80000.

-----------------

Here the table with the wfms/s.
As mentioned before this can´t be the normal mode on the rigol.
Ultra and "Normal" are looking very similar, the blindtime between the packages are greater in the ultra mode.
Second part of my summary will following in the evening..
Martin

In Sequence mode there is important to measure guaranteed maximum speed. This what matters.
In Sequence mode we need trust what is minimum trigger interval when not any single trigger event do not drop out! (reason is, imho, obvious)

With 50ns/div SDS200XHD is most fast.
Its guaranteed maximum speed is (my data) ~511,5 ksegment/s
How to test it. You need burst signal. (I have measured it using 80000 pulse burst and segments in oscilloscope sequence 80000.  And other t/div / memory values using maximal amount of segments in sequence.

Set scope for 50ns/div, 1k memory length. No matter if dots or vectors and if interpolation is Sinc or x.
Set sequence for 80000 segments
Then without signal start oscilloscope Sequence (now it is waiting trigger)

Start burst. As long as it capture all 80000 signal signal speed is below sequence acquisition guaranteed max speed.
Set now busrt (example pulses, freq 568180kHz as is value in your table)
Somewhere before 80000 it stops acquisition (and waiting more pulses) because some pulses are dropped out , not captured.
Now drop this burst frequency until it can reliable capture every single pulse. Repeat it over ten times until you are sure it never drops any single pulse (segment).

I can say guaranteed maximum speed is 510 ksegment/s (perhaps tiny bit over but there need be some marginal if promise something)

Then about normal mode wfm/s speed.  In your table it looks like there is peak value what exist inside acquisition cycle burst.
When we talk wfm/s speed we need handle it using average speed (this we  can use example for propability calculations for glitch hunting etc)
SDS2000XHD  maximum average wfm/s speed is 98kwfm/s  (display mode dots, 50ns/div, single channel in use and trigger just basic edge)
Peak value inside acquisition burst is just bit over 108kwfm/s as is in your table. This is not wfm/s speed it is peak value.
I have measured average speed using HP53131A (with very accurate reference).

Here below is part from my old tests (it is still "preliminary" before full table ready and revised)

Then yesterday and today I did some check about these my values and I did not find errors... (naturally values are bit rounded (down)) :

ETA: Later now after carefully look my collected data...  there are some inexplicable exceptions what need further tests and with some different test method. Specially errors are in guaranteed max speed of sequence what is not displayed in this image.

During normal wfm/s test  display looks this below.

Next image below. SDS2000X HD  Trig out is connected to SDS2000X Plus. Here can see how it looks like.
Same trig out out signal what go to SDS2kX+ input is splitted and go to HP53131A input and there is used 3s gate time for get value what can see in my table. 

Using these kind of fast universal counters need use enough long gate time because signal is not continuous wfm. Also when test other wfm speed with other settings counter Auto trigger leveling may lead to very weird results >> manual level set.

I will not comment on Rigol's results. But the things said earlier about Siglent also raised some small doubts about the Rigol numbers.

@Martin72
What is your SDS2000X HD    HW version?

So lets continue here. (also I will some day finish or least expands and completes the table I presented above, which has been in the preliminary state for a long time)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 02:25:01 pm by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: Martin72, veegee

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #569 on: February 28, 2023, 10:36:42 pm »
Hi,

For next weekend, I can take home one of our siglent handhelds...
Should be enough for this task.

(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #570 on: March 01, 2023, 12:13:31 am »
Hi,

With updated firmware I hope....and on company time too !
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Oscilloscope/SHS800X_SHS1000X_V1.1.21R3_EN.zip
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #571 on: March 01, 2023, 09:11:11 am »
Hi,

Checking and evaluating the guaranteed maximum continuous (continuous inside one sequence) speed of segment acquisition is time-consuming and requires long-term careful monitoring. Right now I have a slight suspicion that something is wrong (  :-[ and :-X )  deep inside the system. I am somewhat of the opinion that the general investigation of this matter should perhaps be shelved (because it leads very very easy to garbage)  for a while until the matter has been examined a little more deeply by the system developers.
Average maximum speeds for fast sequence mode segments acquisition are more entertainment  than essential (of course still may be interesting somehow for fun) . The wfm/s speeds of the oscilloscope's normal viewing mode are quite another matter and important partially buta also lot of misunderstooded - "thank" to HPAK marketing what all others then follow (except perhaps Teledyne LeCroy) just due to big brand and today partially obsolete thinking..
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 09:20:37 am by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #572 on: March 01, 2023, 07:07:19 pm »
Hi,

I´ll take a SDS1104X-E, it could stay here for weeks.. ;)

Right now I have a slight suspicion that something is wrong (  :-[ and :-X )  deep inside the system.

Could what the user TopQuark discovered ( dramatic drop to 16wfms/s when Logic analyzer is active, compared to over 1000 wfms/s in the same situation with the SDS2104X+) also be related ?
I also wonder why only one firmware update has been released so far, 6 months ago.
Possibly a major debugging as a reason ?
(Kierkegaard)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #573 on: March 01, 2023, 08:00:14 pm »
Hi,

I´ll take a SDS1104X-E, it could stay here for weeks.. ;)

Right now I have a slight suspicion that something is wrong (  :-[ and :-X )  deep inside the system.

Could what the user TopQuark discovered ( dramatic drop to 16wfms/s when Logic analyzer is active, compared to over 1000 wfms/s in the same situation with the SDS2104X+) also be related ?
I also wonder why only one firmware update has been released so far, 6 months ago.
Possibly a major debugging as a reason ?

MSO wfm update speed is totally different case what have nothing to do with this sequence acquisition. When digital channels are in use it works classic DSO mode.  One acquisition-display-next acquisition-display...ands so on... just DSO mode.  DPO (SPO) mode is not available now when digital channels are active. (you can see this change also in Acquire menu, it switch to Slow mode when digital channels are active). 
We must not mess and mix all things together. Even in kitchen we do not mix everything together.

One thing I know. (yes I know more but I do not tell more - yet)  Inside one sequence, maximum average speed can be up to around ~580ksegment/s.  But guaranteed maximum constant speed inside one sequence is now (HW01-00, FW 1.2.1.1) max 456ksegment/s (50us/div, 1Ch in use, 80000 segment)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 05:11:39 pm by rf-loop »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #574 on: March 02, 2023, 08:07:12 pm »
Here is preliminary table about Sequence acquisition guaranteed maximum speed and maximum average speed over one sequence.
With maximum average speed there can exist random amount of dropped out events where trigger condition is met.
With maximum guaranteed speed not any trigger condition met events are dropped out from acquisition.
Maximum guaranteed speed is measured using repeating bursts where amount of pulses in one burst is equal with amount of segments and pulse frequency in burst is maximum guaranteed speed.

Average maximum speed is measured using lot of higher signal frequency than maximum sequence speed.
Then measured sequence length (time).  Max average speed is count of segments in sequence divided by measured sequence length (seconds) (time from first segment trig to time from last segment trig)  For this max average speed test there was used 160MHz signal.
This maximum average speed is nearly whole nonsense, only for fun.

But then if look bit more. It can easy say that advertised 500wfm/s is not quaranteed max speed bit it really is some kind of "typical" max speed.

Btw, I can not see any reason to use more fast than 50ns/div. With this speed you can get all and better than with faster t/div scales.

In this preliminary revised table not included over 1ms/div values or values using reduced samplerates with reduced memory length what give more segments when more slow tb is in use.

I will add some pictures later to clarify the measurement method.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 02:26:17 pm by rf-loop »

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf