Author Topic: Siglent Bench DMMs SDM3065X, SDM3055 and SDM3045X  (Read 444889 times)

Offline rolfdegen

• Regular Contributor
    • Degenerator Synthesizer/Sampler
Re: Siglent Bench DMMs SDM3065X, SDM3055 and SDM3045X
« Reply #1775 on: May 04, 2024, 04:24:06 pm »
Is there an alternative remote software to EasyDMM ?
Electronics developer

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1776 on: May 04, 2024, 05:05:37 pm »
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, rolfdegen

Offline rolfdegen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1777 on: May 04, 2024, 05:08:59 pm »
I have installed Keysight Bench but it doesn't work :( Is there no alternative to old EasyDMM software. EasyDMM doesn't have a modern look. It looks like software from the Stone Age of Windows :(
Electronics developer

Offline rolfdegen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1778 on: May 04, 2024, 06:17:30 pm »

You could try this one: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/

Mmmm... I thought it would be better but... no
Electronics developer

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1779 on: May 04, 2024, 06:18:56 pm »
I have installed Keysight Bench but it doesn't work :( Is there no alternative to old EasyDMM software. EasyDMM doesn't have a modern look. It looks like software from the Stone Age of Windows :(

If you complain that the software is bad, you can always write better ones and show how to do it properly (the communication protocol is known)  :popcorn:
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple neat and wrong...

Offline rolfdegen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1780 on: May 04, 2024, 06:31:55 pm »
Yes, that is right. Keysight has very good software but only for Keysight products and not free :(
Electronics developer

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1781 on: May 04, 2024, 06:36:18 pm »
If you want more useful suggestions, then try stating your requirements in a more specific way then "better" and "looks like from the stone age of Windows". Sigrok claims to support the DMM, though probably not in all features. If you want to do something specific like controlling a power supply and a DMM to measure drop out of a voltage regulator, then writing your own software using something like LabVIEW or Python might be the better solution. I don't like the "graphical programming" of LabVIEW, but it does make it really easy to build a GUI that connects to instruments.

Yes, that is right. Keysight has very good software but only for Keysight products and not free :(
If software is so important to you, then you should probably look at software before buying.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1782 on: May 04, 2024, 06:41:59 pm »
If software is so important to you, then you should probably look at software before buying.
True, but realistically most (if not all) of the free software provided by the manufacturer together with test equipment is pretty crappy to begin with. So a better way is to find a free or commercial software package written by people who actually care about implementing meaningfull functionality. This will require going through a learning curve one way or another though.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 07:30:35 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1783 on: May 04, 2024, 07:33:09 pm »

You could try this one: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/

Did you even try it? It has a lot of power, and can be configured all kinds of wacky ways.

I have 2 DMMs running right now, and I can add even more devices if I wanted. I've never actually configured it before today, so it was a little clunky to get used to it at first, but clearly worth the price.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 08:03:31 pm by KungFuJosh »
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, nctnico, rolfdegen, mawyatt

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1784 on: May 04, 2024, 10:00:14 pm »
I've been messing with TC more, and it's awesome. This is from a cold start:

I think this is fantastic if you consider it's full screen and full quality as captured. Signiiiiiiificantly better than the tiny screen captures directly available from the meters.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 02:02:26 am by KungFuJosh »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1785 on: May 05, 2024, 03:48:47 am »

I don't fully agree with this ;) Although I use software from this company (ADS, Gensys, etc.). On the other hand, as colleagues mentioned, you didn't specify exactly what the problem is. The software may vary and sometimes certain GUI concepts take some getting used to. The same is true with measuring equipment - when using equipment from different companies, you often need to develop certain habits in order to be able to cope with a different approach to using the equipment.

However, if I need to do something unusual quickly, I use Matlab or C#.NET (where the program can be quickly created almost from ready-made puzzles). There is also the above-mentioned Python and LabVIEW - although I do not use them due to my insufficient knowledge (it is faster for me to use the tools I know - and they are usually sufficient to achieve the goal). It's true that I recommend LabView or Python if someone is not a programmer - for example, some things bother me in Python, but this is due to my habits of writing in C, C++, and Assembler. It is easier to learn for people who do not program (they do not have certain habits).

« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 03:56:11 am by tomud »
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple neat and wrong...

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline rolfdegen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1786 on: May 05, 2024, 09:19:54 am »
How can I set a live tend chart in TestController like in EasyDMM  :-//

« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 09:26:55 am by rolfdegen »
Electronics developer

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1787 on: May 05, 2024, 07:08:20 pm »
How can I set a live tend chart in TestController like in EasyDMM  :-//

That's what I showed above was a live trend chart in both screenshots. It is a little clunky to setup though, as I mentioned. Or I should say it's clunky to learn it at first.

To have the charts and tables load data, you need to enable the Log on the main window. Click log and pick the time interval.

Then go to the "Scales for chart" tab and set your scale range for each device that will be tracked. In my screenshot I set Auto min range to 1uV and Auto bottom step to 100uV. Experiment with those settings to get the hang of it. If you search the TC thread for "scales for chart" you'll probably find other useful info.

This is what mine looks like right now:

For the other popups you see in my screenshot, go back to the main (Commands) tab, click Popups and choose what you want. Readouts, Grid Panels, Device Mode panels, and Adjust scale are what I showed in my previous screenshot.

Popups:

You can pop the grid panels out as individuals by right-clicking them. You can also right-click lots of things to change colors.

There's lots of fancy things you can do with scripting, but I'm not likely to bother with any of that. The basic stuff does what I need. It's pretty awesome for these meters.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 07:12:21 pm by KungFuJosh »

The following users thanked this post: rolfdegen

Offline rolfdegen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1788 on: May 06, 2024, 09:24:46 pm »
Thank you. It worked  :)

Electronics developer

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, KungFuJosh

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1789 on: May 06, 2024, 09:52:36 pm »
Thank you. It worked  :)

You're welcome. And it looks 1000x better than EasyDMM. 😉

Offline rolfdegen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1790 on: May 09, 2024, 05:32:37 pm »
Hello friends :scared:
I cannot start remote temperature measurements with EasyDMM and TestController if I have selected my Custom Sensor (KTY81-121). Virtual Panel in EasyDMM it works.

My Sensor table for KTY81-121
1.value is resistor value and 2.value temp in ºC

Siglent Adding customer defined Temperature Sensors
https://siglentna.com/operating-tip/adding-customer-defined-temperature-sensors-dmm-sdm3000/

« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 05:45:16 pm by rolfdegen »
Electronics developer

Offline rolfdegen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1791 on: May 09, 2024, 06:20:02 pm »
Ahh  :o

I read this in the RemoteManual..
Electronics developer

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1792 on: May 18, 2024, 04:15:14 pm »
Is there a better command instead of *RST to exit remote mode on these DMMs?

I like using TestController to control my DMMs remotely, but when the *rst command is sent, it removes other settings like the screensaver and statistics stuff.

Per the manual: *RST : Restore instrument to factory default state. I scanned through the programming guide, and didn't see any obvious (to me) solution.

I would prefer a better choice than factory default state.

Thanks,
Josh

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1793 on: May 18, 2024, 07:30:41 pm »

I like using TestController to control my DMMs remotely, but when the *rst command is sent, it removes other settings like the screensaver and statistics stuff.

Per the manual: *RST : Restore instrument to factory default state. I scanned through the programming guide, and didn't see any obvious (to me) solution.

As mentioned in the TC thread this might be some Local/Remote issue.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1794 on: May 18, 2024, 07:36:51 pm »

The issue is that TC relies on the *rst command to disconnect remote control. I removed the *rst command from the siglent file, and it no longer resets to factory defaults...it also doesn't disconnect remote control after TC is closed. Without *rst, I have to power cycle the DMM to regain local control.

Does EasyDMM use SCPI or another protocol? EasyDMM disconnects without resetting to factory defaults.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1795 on: May 18, 2024, 07:47:29 pm »

The issue is that TC relies on the *rst command to disconnect remote control. I removed the *rst command from the siglent file, and it no longer resets to factory defaults...it also doesn't disconnect remote control after TC is closed. Without *rst, I have to power cycle the DMM to regain local control.

Does EasyDMM use SCPI or another protocol? EasyDMM disconnects without resetting to factory defaults.
Check the Programming manual for a SCPI 'Local' command. It may need to be added into the TC definition.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1796 on: May 18, 2024, 08:12:33 pm »
Check the Programming manual for a SCPI 'Local' command. It may need to be added into the TC definition.  :-//

I did. I looked through the Remote Manual and the Programming Guide for variations of reset, local, factory, connect, disconnect, etc. and I couldn't find anything else.

Is there a way to change the factory default state to include custom settings?

I found an (unfortunately unhelpful) guide from Keysight that has the option for *RST LOC to reset the state to local, but that doesn't work on my Siglent, the LOC part is ignored and the DMM is set back to factory default.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1797 on: May 18, 2024, 08:16:39 pm »

I did. I looked through the Remote Manual and the Programming Guide for variations of reset, local, factory, connect, disconnect, etc. and I couldn't find anything else.

I found an (unfortunately unhelpful) guide from Keysight that has the option for *RST LOC to reset the state to local, but that doesn't work on my Siglent, the LOC part is ignored and the DMM is set back to factory default.
This might be something we need to take back to Siglent for a dedicated return to Local SCPI command.

BTW, check how EasyDMM handles the return to Local command also please.

Write something up Josh and I'll forward it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 08:25:12 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1798 on: May 18, 2024, 08:25:28 pm »

This might be something we need to take back to Siglent for a dedicated return to Local SCPI command.

Write something up Josh and I'll forward it.

I think I did already? 😉

We need an SCPI command to return control to the local device (in this case Siglent DMMs) after the device has been controlled remotely.

Currently, this is being done by using *rst, which returns to a factory default state, and inconveniently loses user settings (screensaver, statistics, etc.).

Keysight SCPI commands include the option to specifically reset the communication state. LOCal, REMote, RWL (Remote with Lockout). This logic is significantly more user friendly. See attached.

Thanks,
Josh

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1799 on: May 18, 2024, 08:31:50 pm »

Provided the PDF: SDM3055_RemoteManual_RC06035-E01A.pdf
ChatPDF answered:

"To exit remote mode on the SDM3055/SDM3055A Digital Multimeter without using the *RST command, you can use the following alternative method:

Send the command "*CLS" to clear the status registers and error queue.
Send the command "SYSTem:LOCal" to switch the instrument from remote mode to local mode.
By sending these two commands sequentially, you can effectively exit remote mode on the DMM without performing a full reset using *RST. This method allows you to maintain the current configuration and settings of the instrument while switching back to local mode."

If it works or not...  :-//

The following users thanked this post: tautech, KungFuJosh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf