Author Topic: Siglent firmware  (Read 1173 times)

Offline tony3dTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Siglent firmware
« on: November 17, 2022, 04:31:48 pm »
Hi all, just bought the Siglent 1104XE. Wanted the wifi option. Dongle is coming tomorrow. Installed the latest firmware, and noticed I have no option for the Npt feature. Is this because no dongle is currently present? I went from 6.1.35R2 straight to the latest release. Hope I didn’t have to install the firmware in order to the highest one. Can anyone chime in? Thanks!

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent firmware
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 04:43:16 pm »
Completely unnecessary to create a new thread with such a title for such a matter...

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 05:52:16 pm »
I assume you mean an "NTP" option?

I don't know what the latest firmware revision is - my SDS1104X-E is at 6.1.37R8.

Even with the WiFi adapter missing and no LAN connected, the menus still give an opportunity to set an NTP address.  The confusion might be that it's not in the I/O sub-menu (page 2/4 of the Utility menu) where the networking configuration is and where I expected to set the NTP server address. It's in the "Date/Time" sub-menu (page 3/4 of the Utility menu) which makes sense too.

Offline tony3dTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 06:03:06 pm »
I still see no option for that. Think I need to install all the updates in between.

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 06:13:46 pm »
I still see no option for that. Think I need to install all the updates in between.

That would be odd - the latest firmware must certainly still support NTP. 

I'd wait to get the dongle - maybe the NTP option doesn't show up until you've connected to a network at least once?

You should also know that after plugging the WiFi adapter back in, even though the scope recognized that there was a WiFi dongle plugged in, it didn't automatically reconnect to the network.  I had to:

• go into Utility/"I/O"/Net Interface then set the Interface to WLAN
  • go into Utility/"I/O"/Net Interface/WiFi Set and press "Connect" to connect to the WiFi network
  • go into Utility/"Date/Time"/NTP and press "Sync"

I had previously set my WiFi configuration (SSID to connect to & password) and the NTP server address.  Those settings were remembered by the scope after removing/reinserting the WiFi dongle (as you'd expect)

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 06:45:14 pm »
Completely unnecessary to create a new thread with such a title for such a matter...
Correct, but maybe tony3d hasn't yet worked out how to get the best from this forum.

Instead all the 4ch X-E owners use this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/

Where if tony3d posts there they will all get notification and come to advise/help.

That would be odd - the latest firmware must certainly still support NTP. 

I'd wait to get the dongle - maybe the NTP option doesn't show up until you've connected to a network at least once?

You should also know that after plugging the WiFi adapter back in, even though the scope recognized that there was a WiFi dongle plugged in, it didn't automatically reconnect to the network.  I had to:

• go into Utility/"I/O"/Net Interface then set the Interface to WLAN
  • go into Utility/"I/O"/Net Interface/WiFi Set and press "Connect" to connect to the WiFi network
  • go into Utility/"Date/Time"/NTP and press "Sync"

I had previously set my WiFi configuration (SSID to connect to & password) and the NTP server address.  Those settings were remembered by the scope after removing/reinserting the WiFi dongle (as you'd expect)

I had this discussion with tony3d just a day or 2 back and showed him where to find everything about the Date/Time feature in the manual and even linked it and the page # all that stuff is on.
Once your local NTP server IP has been entered into the scope it's there permanent until a Secure Erase is run, same with a saved WiFi SSID, PW or LAN IP.

Latest FW is V6.1.37R9 and available here:
https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=12

tony3d
You have a bit to do to set the scope for Date/Time and initially I recommend you focus on getting it to work with a wired LAN connection before attempting WiFi as it's a bit less to have to get your head around.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 07:48:44 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 08:25:11 pm »
You don't.

Follow mwb1100's advice and what's in the manual.
FYI, once a feature is added all subsequent firmware versions support it. There's no need to go back seeking older versions, always just install the latest unless the install instructions or the Release Notes specify otherwise.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 10:19:04 pm »
There was a second file that had to be updated for NTP: "SDS1xx4X-E_OSV2_EN"
This was done at the same time as "SDS1xx4X-E_V6.1.37R2_EN" came out.

Maybe that is part of the issue here.

My suggestion is to upgrade to the versions above first, and then after doing that jump straight to the latest version: "SDS1xx4X-E_V6.1.37R9_EN"
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 10:25:25 pm by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mwb1100

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 10:24:32 pm »

Exactly. The OS must be upgraded, that's where the NTP function exists. Well remembered!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 10:26:24 pm »

maybe that is part of the issue here.
Yep nailed it !  :-+

tony 3d posted he went from 6.1.35R2 to latest so probably didn't also install this OS update:
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Oscilloscope/SDS1xx4X-E_OSV2_EN.zip

Actually it's surprising he found a unit with such old firmware installed.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2022, 10:55:02 pm »
Also, NTP is listed under Date/Time, not networking, in case there is also an issue finding where it is.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf