Author Topic: Rigol DHO914S vs Siglent SDS1104X-E hands-on (I have both)  (Read 6484 times)

Offline scopestuffTopic starter

• Blog
Rigol DHO914S vs Siglent SDS1104X-E hands-on (I have both)
« on: October 15, 2023, 10:40:50 pm »
I just received the DHO914S the other day so I've been able to compare it against the SDS 1104X-E I already had. I put together a quick blog post about it over here: https://www.sebortiz.com/post/rigol_vs_siglent/ but what folks on this forum might be specifically interested is that blog post has notes on how to get wifi working on the DHO914S, since it's not really officially supported. If you have any other things you want me to try/compare with the new scope let me know. The one thing I don't have on hand yet is the logic analyzer probe (so it might be a little while before I can answer any questions about that).

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

• Blog
Re: Rigol DHO914S vs Siglent SDS1104X-E hands-on (I have both)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 11:24:45 pm »
Another quick size comparison between the two scopes

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 11:35:44 pm »
I'm curious what you think about the performance of their web consoles compared to each other. Including update time (lag vs. real time), ease of use, screen captures, etc.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

• Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 12:19:43 am »
Both web consoles are basically lag free and update immediately (I tried on a 1gig wired network and using wifi), but the refresh rate seems a bit faster on the Rigol. The main issue for me on the SDS1104xe is that the Siglent web console doesn't render properly in Chrome on linux, all you initially see is the waveform part of the display which doesn't accept clicks, so it makes it look like it's not working at all. What is actually going on is that all the buttons/controlled are rendered outside of the area of what you initially see, so you have to scroll horizontally to the right to see any controls. I attached a screenshot showing how wide the window has to be for siglent so you can actually interact with the scope controls. A side effect of the scope not having a touchscreen- the web control replicates the hardware knobs and buttons to the right of the display, so you need a really wide window.  The other screenshot shows you have to click on the little arrow button at the top right of the window for the scope controls to be visible, the fullscreen button doesn't work because it only puts the waveform part of the display fullscreen.

Screen captures were easier for me on the Rigol, because of the rendering bug on the siglent.  But Rigol has its own bug involving screen recording- if you turn on screen recording while you're using the web control to drive the scope, the web control window stops updating. Also Rigol doesn't seem to have a way to save waveforms from the web UI, only screenshots and videos. If you save a waveform on the Rigol directly, however, it at least lets you choose the file format as .bin, .csv, or .wfm and you can choose whether the data source is the screen or the capture memory. A more basic issue as far as connecting to a network in the first place is that Siglent has native support for USB wifi dongles, but the Rigol does not. You can get wifi working on the Rigol (using the steps in that blog post I linked) but the scope UI will not give you any indication that it's enabled/working.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 12:22:54 am by scopestuff »

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 01:05:49 am »
what folks on this forum might be specifically interested is that blog post has notes on how to get wifi working on the DHO914S, since it's not really officially supported.

What specific wifi adapter did you use?  Was it the TP-Link TL-WN725N that is supported by the SDS1104X-E?  The nice thing about that one (aside from also working on the SDS1104X-E) is that it's only $10 on Amazon.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 01:26:52 am »
Both web consoles are basically lag free and update immediately (I tried on a 1gig wired network and using wifi), but the refresh rate seems a bit faster on the Rigol. The main issue for me on the SDS1104xe is that the Siglent web console doesn't render properly in Chrome on linux, all you initially see is the waveform part of the display which doesn't accept clicks, so it makes it look like it's not working at all. What is actually going on is that all the buttons/controlled are rendered outside of the area of what you initially see, so you have to scroll horizontally to the right to see any controls. I attached a screenshot showing how wide the window has to be for siglent so you can actually interact with the scope controls. A side effect of the scope not having a touchscreen- the web control replicates the hardware knobs and buttons to the right of the display, so you need a really wide window.  The other screenshot shows you have to click on the little arrow button at the top right of the window for the scope controls to be visible, the fullscreen button doesn't work because it only puts the waveform part of the display fullscreen.

Screen captures were easier for me on the Rigol, because of the rendering bug on the siglent.  But Rigol has its own bug involving screen recording- if you turn on screen recording while you're using the web control to drive the scope, the web control window stops updating. Also Rigol doesn't seem to have a way to save waveforms from the web UI, only screenshots and videos. If you save a waveform on the Rigol directly, however, it at least lets you choose the file format as .bin, .csv, or .wfm and you can choose whether the data source is the screen or the capture memory.
No bugs here and seems you have a bit more to learn about SDS1104X-E, its webserver and features in general.
You might be well advised to study up on its full feature set:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/

Webserver control has never been by touch and instead a replication of the front panel buttons plus a few additional virtual buttons plus you have a browser scaling issue easily addressed with Ctrl and mouse scroll wheel.
The Save/Recall menu provides many different save file formats.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 01:37:06 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 01:34:58 am »
The main issue for me on the SDS1104xe is that the Siglent web console doesn't render properly in Chrome on linux

I would try zooming the screen (ctrl and + or - usually, or ctrl + mouse wheel) to see if that solves your issue. It sounds like it's a screen resolution problem.

Webserver control has never been by touch and instead a replication of the front panel buttons plus a few additional virtual buttons plus you have a browser scaling issue easily addressed with Ctrl and mouse scroll wheel.

I think he's referring to the fact that the touchscreen models are much easier to control via the web console, which is true. On my SDS2k+ the controls mimic the ability to touch anywhere on the virtual screen, which is much better than the 1104X-E's control capability.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 01:38:51 am »
The main issue for me on the SDS1104xe is that the Siglent web console doesn't render properly in Chrome on linux

I would try zooming the screen (ctrl and + or - usually, or ctrl + mouse wheel) to see if that solves your issue. It sounds like it's a screen resolution problem.
Yup, the webserver has 3 modes, each for a different need.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

• Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 02:38:14 am »
No bugs here and seems you have a bit more to learn about SDS1104X-E, its webserver and features in general.
You might be well advised to study up on its full feature set:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/

I wasn't stating that the fact the hardware controls are displayed is a bug, I'm saying the way controls get rendered seems like it might either be a bug or just not ideal. Specifically in Linux on chrome 116.05845.14, this is the behavior I see: when you first load the web control view ctrl+scroll is not detected when your cursor is over the waveform view itself, when the cursor is anywhere else on screen you can ctrl+scroll zoom the entire webpage the way you normally can in chrome in general, so in the initial view, controls/buttons are not visible and ctrl+scroll zooming does not fix that because the waveform area is not actually expanding to reveal controls no matter how you zoom. I assume you are saying this is one of the web UI's 3 modes and intentional, which makes sense. The next 2 behaviors/modes seem odd.
 There is also the fullscreen button with 4 arrows at the lower right corner, when you click that, again only the waveform section gets shown fullscreen so you can't see the controls and ctrl+scroll is not detected so you can't zoom here either and still cannot access the buttons, I assume that is also intentional and just how fullscreen mode is supposed to work(?) Now finally the 3rd mode where you click the expand arrow in the upper right to show controls: this also cannot be ctrl+scroll zoomed while it's expanded because as soon as you initiate scroll zoom the button view collapses and you're back to only seeing the waveform.  Resizing the browser window while the controls are displayed also collapses them, so the only way to be able to see the controls is make sure your browser window is wide enough first or scroll zoom while the controls are collapsed, then click the expand button in the upper right corner.
The statement about file formats supported by the Rigol was not a comparison against the Siglent, it was simply stating that at least waveform save sort of still works, you just have to do it directly on the scope not through the web UI. This was a criticism of the Rigol and had nothing to do with the Siglent- saving waveforms there is easy.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 02:56:55 am by scopestuff »

• Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2023, 02:49:44 am »
what folks on this forum might be specifically interested is that blog post has notes on how to get wifi working on the DHO914S, since it's not really officially supported.

What specific wifi adapter did you use?  Was it the TP-Link TL-WN725N that is supported by the SDS1104X-E?  The nice thing about that one (aside from also working on the SDS1104X-E) is that it's only $10 on Amazon.

Yeah, the $10 WN725N off amazon works, I dug through the kernel modules that are on the scope and it looks like RTL8188EU (WN725N) is the only driver there. I got 2 of those dongles and not sure if it's just my luck or a manufacturing defect but they both were tough to insert and virtually impossible to remove once inserted.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 03:11:36 am by scopestuff »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2023, 07:24:45 am »
I wasn't stating that the fact the hardware controls are displayed is a bug, I'm saying the way controls get rendered seems like it might either be a bug or just not ideal.
It works exactly as intended.
Specifically in Linux on chrome 116.05845.14
W10 and Chrome 118.0.5993.71 here.
At the landing page is where we adjust display scaling to have space to expand the instrument controls for them to  be entirely on one display.

You need understand the 3 websaver display modes and how to best use each.
Instrument landing page from where launch is made of full screen (projector mode) or instrument control (top right pop out tab) where full instrument control is available plus the additional virtual buttons which are added features for ease of use.

Most useful is the orange Screen Save which takes a screenshot just like the blue Print button but instead dumps it directly to the browsers Download folder. This is ideally suited to efficient documentation as a USB stick is no longer required.

Full screen projector mode. Esc to exit.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 07:26:32 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2023, 07:33:52 am »

If it needs explaining then it's not a great design.

full instrument control is available plus the additional virtual buttons which are added features for ease of use.

Do you need full HD screen width to use that? For a device which is 800x480 pixels?

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2023, 03:31:04 pm »

If it needs explaining then it's not a great design.

And by that logic all scopes are garbage because they all come with manuals. 🤣🤣🤣

full instrument control is available plus the additional virtual buttons which are added features for ease of use.

Do you need full HD screen width to use that? For a device which is 800x480 pixels?

Seriously? I appreciate a good trolling, but none of the controls he showed on the extended section are on the screen of the actual scope, and the scope's resolution is irrelevant at that point.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2023, 04:36:57 pm »
And by that logic all scopes are garbage because they all come with manuals. 🤣🤣🤣

I don't know many web pages that come with manuals.

Seriously? I appreciate a good trolling, but none of the controls he showed on the extended section are on the screen of the actual scope, and the scope's resolution is irrelevant at that point.

If the screenshots posted are real then half of the controls would be outside the window on an awful lot of monitors/laptops.

Have you looked at how much wasted space there is in that UI?

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2023, 05:09:45 pm »
Before I retired, corporate management wanted to improve our user interfaces (which were a bit old-fashioned) and recommended a good book on the topic:
"The Design of Everyday Things" by Don Norman (now in a revised edition from 2013, Basic Books or MIT Press).
One of his dicta was that "any telephone that needs instructions is a failed design".
Shortly thereafter, management had a new telephone system installed that required a 90 minute training session.
Of course, the big wheels were too busy to attend those sessions, so their secretaries had to transfer calls.

The following users thanked this post: iMo

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2023, 07:01:28 pm »

I don't know many web pages that come with manuals.
My day job is web design/programming. I don't think my professional opinion on that subject is required to point out that we're discussing oscilloscopes, not web sites.

If the screenshots posted are real then half of the controls would be outside the window on an awful lot of monitors/laptops.

Have you looked at how much wasted space there is in that UI?

I agree with you, the layout could certainly be improved. However, zooming in and out fixes any issues with screen sizes. Also, almost any laptop in the last decade has at least HD screens. If you're using a 20 year old laptop to run your scope, zoom out.

The layout/web server is much nicer on the higher end scopes, and all of them from all brands tend to benefit from nicer monitors.

• Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2023, 09:08:43 pm »

Most useful is the orange Screen Save which takes a screenshot just like the blue Print button but instead dumps it directly to the browsers Download folder. This is ideally suited to efficient documentation as a USB stick is no longer required.

Yeah, the screen save feature on the 1104 is super convenient, same with the ability to directly save waveform files (unfortunate that Rigol doesn't seem to have that waveform save in their web UI).

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2023, 02:41:40 am »
Does anybody know whether either of these scopes can be viewed on a Smart TV over a local network?   ???
I understand that the Rigol has a HDMI output so direct connection is possible for remote viewing, the Siglent doesn't have a remote screen output other than a PC connection so I wondered if it could be viewed on certain Smart TVs with a compatible browser.   :-/O

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2023, 02:57:44 am »
Does anybody know whether either of these scopes can be viewed on a Smart TV over a local network?   ???

Both of them should work.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2023, 03:09:27 am »
I understand that the Rigol has a HDMI output so direct connection is possible for remote viewing, the Siglent doesn't have a remote screen output other than a PC connection so I wondered if it could be viewed on certain Smart TVs with a compatible browser.   :-/O
Now cursed 679 times.  :P
SO had to be asked to surrender 50" LG for a minute and connected no issue via SDS1104X-E on WiFi to LAN on which TV was connected.
Too easy. Will send pic by email should you need proof Muttley. < sent.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 03:30:54 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2023, 06:06:25 am »

Both of them should work.

Having said that: One of these two will show the scope on just half the TV and worsk via a dorky set of HTML buttons off to one side, the other one only shows the 'scope screen and is designed to be used with a mouse.

Offline Neutrion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2023, 11:44:18 am »
Hi Scopestuff!
Please do a  waveform update rate comparison with both, using single/many channels, both with small and max amount of memory depth. Similarly how Perorma01 did it in his in depth review of the 1104x-e just not only with max memory, and also with more than two channels enabled.

Well only if you have the time and motivation, but you were the one who opened tis topic, so I suppose you will not be bored during the next weeks  :).

Interesting would be to know also, whether if you zoom in on the Rigol  on the signal vertically, or have it offset, how it affects the measurements including maybe also math. Like if you use the probes for differential measurements with the math channel, and would like to use it that way, can you use and measure the math channel properly? Zooming in out, triggering etc.

Thanks in advance!

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2023, 07:03:16 pm »
It works exactly as intended.
When the customer tells you that something is wrong, you shut up, listen and take notes, instead of making lousy excuses  :--

No, user doesn't NEED to understand anything - it's your JOB to make sure it's easy to use to not require any "explanations"  :-BROKE
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 07:05:33 pm by asmi »

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2023, 08:37:44 pm »
No, user doesn't NEED to understand anything - it's your JOB to make sure it's easy to use to not require any "explanations"  :-BROKE

That's a comically poor attitude. That's like saying that my lack of skill with an oscilloscope is Siglent's fault. I can't follow the logic there.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2023, 08:46:25 pm »

That's a comically poor attitude. That's like saying that my lack of skill with an oscilloscope is Siglent's fault. I can't follow the logic there.
Yeah comparing webservers in touch screen scopes vs normal scopes is like apples vs oranges, they are quite different and require different engineering/programming solutions for usable functionality.
Then we have the situation of a 2017 vs 2023 design......
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf