Author Topic: Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscope Bug Reports + Firmware  (Read 264933 times)

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscope Bug Reports + Firmware
« Reply #550 on: March 16, 2024, 09:26:11 pm »
Is this running the latest FW 00.01.02.00.02 ?

Does that imply that you have achieved faster recording rates with the latest software? Could you please summarize what you get? Thanks!

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #551 on: March 17, 2024, 07:07:14 am »
Is this running the latest FW 00.01.02.00.02 ?
Alltough you have to create a account at the rigol site, which did not work at all, to download the firmware, i managed to get it from another source. Yes it is running this firmware.

None of the major bugs i stumbled upon were fixed...
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #552 on: March 17, 2024, 07:22:44 am »
By the way: I am not aware that a login is required to download Rigol firmware from the official site. I found the product pages to be better organized than the "support" section, and they also include manuals/firmware/software.

On the product page, scroll down a bit until you get to the white section of the page, then select the "software & firmware" tab: https://int.rigol.com/products/detail/DHO800

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #553 on: March 17, 2024, 07:49:13 am »
That did NOT work here:
https://supportint.rigol.com/SUPPORTS/software-firmware-download.html

What a mess it is!

First product i bought from Rigol, and i think it will also be the last...
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #554 on: March 17, 2024, 08:05:09 am »
The signal is good when it runs, but when i stop the acquire, it gets messy (see picture). Is this a bug or a feature? Persistance is set to min

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #555 on: March 17, 2024, 08:14:49 am »
The signal is good when it runs, but when i stop the acquire, it gets messy (see picture). Is this a bug or a feature? Persistance is set to min
Is Gear/Display/Waveform Freeze set to On or Off? If it's ON, try it in the Off position.
Fnirsi oscilloscope = waste&regret

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #556 on: March 17, 2024, 08:17:48 am »
I am not sure whether you are concerned about decoding or about the trace display itself. Assuming it's the trace rendition:

The DHOs let you choose whether, after stopping the acquisition, you want to see only the most recent capture, or want to "freeze" the intensity-graded overlay of multiple sweeps. The latter is the default, a bit unconventionally. You can change this in the display settings, see section 19.8 of the manual.

Offline axantas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #557 on: March 17, 2024, 09:33:18 am »
That did NOT work here:
https://supportint.rigol.com/SUPPORTS/software-firmware-download.html

What a mess it is!

First product i bought from Rigol, and i think it will also be the last...

There european site is a simple mess. We already had that here. Get the firmware in the U.S. - this is working without login.

https://www.rigolna.com/firmware/

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #558 on: March 17, 2024, 11:21:21 am »
The latter is the default, a bit unconventionally.

Why would i want to see intensity when stopped, if i had not set it up before? That is stupid, but at least this stupidity can be turned off.  :phew:

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #559 on: March 17, 2024, 11:23:55 am »
Bug: Trigger is off big time..
Its kinda hard to work on a prototype with a chip that you dont have much experience with. Yet here comes rigol, making your day even harder:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 12:46:50 pm by eTobey »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #560 on: March 17, 2024, 11:38:23 am »
Why would i want to see intensity when stopped, if i had not set it up before? That is stupid, but at least this stupidity can be turned off.  :phew:

Maybe they wnated to make sure that all users realize the DHO has that capability.  ::)
But once you turn it off, the scope should remember the setting, so it won't bother you again until you ask for it.

Don't be too harsh on your new scope and on Rigol. Always look on the bright side... ;)  On the other hand, if you really find that the scope does not do what you need it to do, there's still time to swap it for something a bit less shiny but more serious...

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #561 on: March 17, 2024, 11:42:58 am »

But once you turn it off, the scope should remember the setting, so it won't bother you again until you ask for it.

If I remember correctly.
According to the factory settings, it does not load the last one, you will have to change it first.
Fnirsi oscilloscope = waste&regret

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #562 on: March 17, 2024, 12:43:21 pm »
According to the factory settings, it does not load the last one, you will have to change it first.

Yes, yet another stupid default setting...

I was shocked the first time when i started it the next day, when all settings were lost, because i thought there would be no such option. Funny enough i need to restart it, when i want all setting reset, and wait 53 secounds?  :palm:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 12:45:04 pm by eTobey »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #563 on: March 17, 2024, 01:51:32 pm »
I was shocked the first time when i started it the next day, when all settings were lost, because i thought there would be no such option. Funny enough i need to restart it, when i want all setting reset, and wait 53 secounds?  :palm:

It's debatable whether "restart with factory defaults" should be the default setting. But having that startup mode available certainly makes sense in environments where the scope is used by multiple people for different tasks, and most notably in education & training use.

And of course restarting the scope is not the only (and slow) way to get back to the default settings. There is a dedicated button for that, part of the hexagon in the upper right. Press it twice, or press once and confirm in the touch-screen menu, to return to the factory defaults quickly. 

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #564 on: March 17, 2024, 02:26:06 pm »
Funny enough i need to restart it, when i want all setting reset, and wait 53 secounds?  :palm:

Or just press this...

« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 02:28:26 pm by Fungus »

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #565 on: March 17, 2024, 02:52:52 pm »
Persistance is not persistant on first few triggers:

I have some signals, that appear about every 0,5 to 1 s, and the div is set at 10us. You can see the first signal beeing triggered, but they dissapear immediately. Only after a few of those they stay. Persistance is set at "infinite". The trigger is a simple falling edge.

So persistance is not working, recording is not working and ultraacquire is also not working.

This Rigol rubbish is definately going back. Cant even do simple things reliable.  :--

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #566 on: March 17, 2024, 04:16:33 pm »
Funny enough i need to restart it, when i want all setting reset, and wait 53 secounds?  :palm:

Or just press this...

Here's an idea for you, Fungus: Why don't you try and make it a habit to read the following post or two before you fire off a reply?  ::)
It would improve the signal-to-redundancy ratio of many threads quite a bit.

The following users thanked this post: eTobey, AceyTech

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #567 on: March 17, 2024, 05:39:09 pm »
Or just press this...
It would help a lot if you would actually read a few more posts, to not parrot :blah: from other users, or to just comprehend whats going on. You already stood out for me like someone that creates more confusion as really helping. Just like in my noise problem thread...  :--

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #568 on: March 17, 2024, 06:35:10 pm »

Yes, yet another stupid default setting...

then why you post this mourning if the default button is not what you want?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #569 on: March 17, 2024, 06:43:33 pm »
BTW, is there any way to disable the Auto button?
It is very annoying, as it doesn't request confirmation before proceeding. It is quite easy to press it accidentally. It is ridiculous that scope manufacturers (not only Rigol) waste front panel space for this button, and for Default as well, instead of moving them to an on-screen menu. Luckily, the Default button does at least request confirmation to proceed. It's still not impossible to press it twice accidentally though.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #570 on: March 17, 2024, 06:46:44 pm »
then why you post this mourning if the default button is not what you want?

The info about the Default button was relevant for eTobey, I think. But coming from Fungus, it was also redundant, since I had just said the same thing -- in the very next post after eTobey's original complaint, and right before Fungus' post.

Which is quite often the case with Fungus. He seems to be in the habit of firing off a reply as soon as he sees a post, not bothering to read even a single following post to check what has already been said.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 06:53:49 pm by ebastler »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #571 on: March 17, 2024, 06:52:02 pm »
BTW, is there any way to disable the Auto button?

You can disable/enable it via a SCPI command, :SYSTem:AUToscale <bool>.

I think Rigol deliberately hid that option in a SCPI command with educational settings in mind: The teacher can disable AUTO for his students so they learn how to set up the scope on their own, and they can't easily re-enable it.

The following users thanked this post: shapirus

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #572 on: March 17, 2024, 08:26:15 pm »
It is very annoying, as it doesn't request confirmation before proceeding. It is quite easy to press it accidentally. It is ridiculous that scope manufacturers (not only Rigol) waste front panel space for this button...

I was just on this point a few hours ago... There is a button to revert that. But you better dont miss that button! I missed it  |O... Really frustrating.

I sometimes have the feeling, that touchscreen behaves a bit strange. Missing buttons and closing windows. Might be some electrostatic problems?

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #573 on: March 18, 2024, 08:36:32 am »
My waveform dissappeared. Just catched an error...  :palm:
I did not use vernier, like dave did in the video.
I was just scaling and moving it time wise.

Anyone knows how to avoid this problem, or where it happens?

This bug was documented by dave 5 months ago! And yes, i have the newest firmware.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 08:38:27 am by eTobey »

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #574 on: March 18, 2024, 02:14:22 pm »
Level of trigger is not saved when turning off....

This is even worse than saving nothing at all, as you would not expect this, and then you may end up looking at the board...  :-/O

Edit: Even the hex format is lost. I could live with this, but still its so poor.

First days i thought "not so much complaining like with the owon", but today i realized, that i just was to slow to find those problems.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 02:18:04 pm by eTobey »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf