Author Topic: Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscope Bug Reports + Firmware  (Read 264942 times)

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscope Bug Reports + Firmware
« Reply #250 on: December 15, 2023, 02:20:41 am »
I have couple soft rubber dome stylus pens, none worked on the Rigol screen, at least not for me.

Hmm, that's odd. When I get home I'll confirm which stylus I tried. I've collected a variety over the years, from the cheapest to somewhat pricey Bamboo and other higher end stylii. I'll try a few different ones tonight and report back the results.

I grabbed several styluses (styli?) from the drawer to try. Every single one worked great on the DHO1074 screen. I couldn't imagine why they wouldn't work exactly the same on the DHO800/900?

The following users thanked this post: Randy222

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #251 on: December 15, 2023, 05:45:48 am »
My 924S works fine with everything.
pen with rubber dome tip, active pen, also with my finger.
it has a layer of display protection film, it is non-reflective.
Fnirsi oscilloscope = waste&regret

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #252 on: December 15, 2023, 11:01:19 am »
My 924S works fine with everything.
pen with rubber dome tip, active pen, also with my finger.
it has a layer of display protection film, it is non-reflective.

I have some of that non-reflective film but I was concerned if I didn't like it my screen would be damaged trying to remove it. I bought it for my RTB2004 but never used it there either.

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #253 on: December 15, 2023, 11:43:01 am »
I don't understand what kind of damage you mean, it's true that it's not scratch-resistant gorilla glass and so on, but if you remove the soft screen protector, it shouldn't be damaged.
at least I didn't scratch the glass with my fingernail.

I tested several types on my large touch screen monitor, I put smaller pieces next to each other to see how much it distorts and reflects the light.
 There was a small piece that was almost in the middle of the screen, and I didn't scratch it when I took it off.

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #254 on: December 15, 2023, 02:26:52 pm »
Do these films have an adhesive or do they just cling to the monitor? I'm thinking the one on my cell which is basically fused to the screen.

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #255 on: December 15, 2023, 02:29:45 pm »
Do these films have an adhesive or do they just cling to the monitor? I'm thinking the one on my cell which is basically fused to the screen.

They all just cling.

I can't imagine what kind of screen protector you have on your phone that is "fused." I've used dozens of screen protectors on dozens of devices over the years, from soft ones to tempered glass ones, and I've never seen or heard of one adhering to the screen beyond just a static cling. Just get up under one corner and it should peel off easily.

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #256 on: December 15, 2023, 02:39:12 pm »
I made a mistake with my phone when I bought it, the screen protector was put on by the seller and not removable. I won't do that again! That's why I thought maybe screen protectors had an adhesive back, good to know they don't.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #257 on: December 15, 2023, 03:04:44 pm »

They all just cling.

I can't imagine what kind of screen protector you have on your phone that is "fused." I've used dozens of screen protectors on dozens of devices over the years, from soft ones to tempered glass ones, and I've never seen or heard of one adhering to the screen beyond just a static cling. Just get up under one corner and it should peel off easily.
The glass ones I put on cell phone do have a sticky back, it won't just peel off, but you can warm it with hairdryer and then carefully pry off using plastic wedge like credit card corner.
If I did one for the 800 I would get a glass one, install it and never remove it.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #258 on: December 15, 2023, 03:11:53 pm »
Randy,
09/20/23.
Do you have the 800? Maybe they sell more of them so the dates are later?
I did buy 804 model from Alix vendor.
The units from that vendor are very new, perhaps drop-shipped from Rigol china, you can still smell the outgassing of the plastic and stuff, ink-barely-dried, etc. (metaphorically speaking, but fresh off assembly line it seems)
Came with the .02 firmware, a Liteon UK style plug with US style adapter.

Offline sonic

• Regular Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #259 on: December 15, 2023, 03:19:19 pm »
Also a peeve: When you take a snapshot could it be in lossless PNG format instead of JPG to preserve detail?

+1
Workarounds in the meantime: my Python script or the screenshot function in Android Studio or
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-dho800900-scope/msg5228832/#msg5228832
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 05:30:57 pm by sonic »

Offline sonic

• Regular Contributor
    • Homepage
Video sync broken
« Reply #260 on: December 15, 2023, 03:25:42 pm »
Sort of crossposting, but it's in a thread about the DHO1000 and it fails with my DHO804 (firmware 00.01.02), too;
Video sync, be it NTSC or PAL/SECAM, doesn't seem to work at all:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-hdo1000-12-bit-dso-bugs/msg5188338/#msg5188338

This makes me a bit nervous, since this bug seems to be unresolved since more than a year...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 04:43:50 pm by sonic »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #261 on: December 15, 2023, 03:57:06 pm »
+1
Workaround in the meantime: screenshot function in Android Studio

I have the "Quick" button set to screenshot and I access the files via FTP.

The following users thanked this post: sonic

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #262 on: December 15, 2023, 04:29:37 pm »
The glass ones I put on cell phone do have a sticky back, it won't just peel off, but you can warm it with hairdryer and then carefully pry off using plastic wedge like credit card corner.
If I did one for the 800 I would get a glass one, install it and never remove it.

That's interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of such a "permanent" glass protector.

I have bought and installed many tempered glass protectors for all of our cellphones and tablets. My wife breaks her glass screen protectors several times a year, so I've installed at least a dozen on her devices alone. Not once have I bought one that used an actual adhesive beyond just the coating that causes it to cling.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #263 on: December 15, 2023, 06:02:55 pm »

That's interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of such a "permanent" glass protector.

I have bought and installed many tempered glass protectors for all of our cellphones and tablets. My wife breaks her glass screen protectors several times a year, so I've installed at least a dozen on her devices alone. Not once have I bought one that used an actual adhesive beyond just the coating that causes it to cling.
I have packs of Mr Shield glass in front of me, they don't cling like a vinyl protector does, they have a sticky back, not unlike a PostIT, and it will stick on real good, can't just peel it off like a vinyl cling. Yes, the glass will peel off, it's not crazy glue backed, but also not too easy to just peel off. The Apple protector you buy in Apple store, is super sticky, if it needs replacing they often have to break off small pieces as they pry, it won't just peel up and off.

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #264 on: December 15, 2023, 07:21:27 pm »
I have a feeling we're talking about the same thing. You or someone mentioned "fused" to the glass and requiring hot air to remove. The "post-it" type coating is what I'm talking about, but I'd barely call it adhesive. Very mildly sticky, sure. It's not hard at all to peel once you get a corner up, and if you can manage to not break it or get dust or fingerprints under it, it'll go right back down and stick again.

Like I said, I have to replace my wife's and some of the kids/grandkids quite often. Never had any trouble getting one off.

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #265 on: December 15, 2023, 07:31:04 pm »
IF you know that yours cannot be taken off, then don't use it.
Buy something you can take off instead.
Or buy another one that you can take off and put on two layers.
Put the permanent on the bottom and then the removable film on top...

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #266 on: December 15, 2023, 07:49:25 pm »
I have a feeling we're talking about the same thing. You or someone mentioned "fused" to the glass and requiring hot air to remove. The "post-it" type coating is what I'm talking about, but I'd barely call it adhesive. Very mildly sticky, sure. It's not hard at all to peel once you get a corner up, and if you can manage to not break it or get dust or fingerprints under it, it'll go right back down and stick again.

Like I said, I have to replace my wife's and some of the kids/grandkids quite often. Never had any trouble getting one off.
I not say "fused", but I did say warming the glass helps to remove it, as that makes the sticky stuff a bit more pliable and easier to lift off. Heating some and prying/wedging is the procedure Apple uses in the stores. But duly noted, the high-end phone stuff usually has a glass screen. The Rigol appears to have a plastic screen, so not sure using a sticky glass protector is best option, albeit I guess if I use a glass one it will probably just be on for life of the unit.

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #267 on: December 15, 2023, 08:57:04 pm »
For Apple device repair you do need hot air, but that's to remove the screen from the digitizer as they're glued together.

At any rate, I think we've beaten this horse enough.  :horse:

The following users thanked this post: Randy222

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #268 on: December 15, 2023, 09:18:23 pm »

I not say "fused", but I did say warming the glass helps to remove it, as that makes the sticky stuff a bit more pliable and easier to lift off. Heating some and prying/wedging is the procedure Apple uses in the stores. But duly noted, the high-end phone stuff usually has a glass screen. The Rigol appears to have a plastic screen, so not sure using a sticky glass protector is best option, albeit I guess if I use a glass one it will probably just be on for life of the unit.

Randy, I think the Rigol has a glass screen, my 924s does.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #269 on: December 15, 2023, 09:23:06 pm »
If we ever had any hopes of Rigol following this thread to learn about bugs so they can fix them -- I think they are long gone, both Rigol and the hopes. Sorry gentlemen, but this thread is a total mess.

As requested, this a thread for posting of and discussion of bugs on the Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscope, and firmware updates.
No other discussion please, there are other threads for that:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 09:25:05 pm by ebastler »

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #270 on: December 15, 2023, 10:34:37 pm »
mea culpa.

Can we talk about the difference between .01.02 and .01.01 firmware?

If we can are there any bugs fixed by .01.02?

(ps: my junk stylus 10 for six bucks from Amazon work) ;D

Offline rpro

• Contributor
« Reply #271 on: December 15, 2023, 11:51:36 pm »
As requested, this a thread for posting of and discussion of bugs on the Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscope, and firmware updates.
No other discussion please, there are other threads for that:
On the hope that Rigol people follow these threads: Rigol, please fix reported bugs and add basic capabilities to your software. For example, take the feedback and add averaging, good markers, etc. to your FFT, to be at par or better, and easily compete with other similarly priced 8-bit scopes, which at that point would be limited by differences in hardware. Also please coordinate and fix your firmware release process. Be consistent across your portals, and be complete (even verbose) on your release notes.     

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #272 on: December 15, 2023, 11:59:30 pm »
are there any bugs fixed by .01.02?

Release notes have been posted many times.

Short answer: "None that have been mentioned in this thread".

The following users thanked this post: Robaroni

Offline rpro

• Contributor
« Reply #273 on: December 16, 2023, 08:46:32 pm »
are there any bugs fixed by .01.02?
Not a bug fix per se, but 924 vendor.bin on 804 has no offsets (with "shareable" 804 calibration), good (1-Ch.) peak rise time (1.35 ns), and low noise floor. Not bad for a 12-bit $400 scope...

Edit: Replaced noise floor pic.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 10:24:51 pm by rpro »

The following users thanked this post: Robaroni

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #274 on: December 16, 2023, 09:22:30 pm »
Pretty amazing!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo