Author Topic: Best budget (under $100) clamp meter?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline sofakngTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Best budget (under $100) clamp meter?
« on: May 17, 2023, 12:38:40 am »
I'm a beginner electronics hobbyist but I like to invest in quality tools but so far I don't have a clamp meter.  I'm tempted to buy a used Fluke meter (like my used Fluke 87V DMM) but I think I will only need the clamp very, very rarely.

Usually I'm working with low-voltage and low-amperage DC current (ie. microcontrollers) but my latest project (LED strip lighting) has me interested in buying a clamp meter.

The UT210e seems quite popular but I'm wondering if that's still the recommendation?  (I dislike the display orientation but for how rarely I'll use it I don't think it will be a problem)

Is there something better for low-voltage/amperage applications?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 12:40:57 am by sofakng »

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Best budget (under $100) clamp meter?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 03:29:22 am »
It depends on what ampere ranges you need, & if its AC or AC & DC.
You mentioned "DC" use-cases and sub 100US and UT210 is an old clamp meter, and it does perform quite well with small ampere, like 1mA , at least in my tests, though its hallsensor is obviously highly sensitive and in DC needs to be zero'ed frequently before use, and without hack its 2000count and sub 100A, and single line-display, though the display orientation, I dont see as a con, in some use cases I prefer it.

For higher ampere, I got a 1000A AC&DC jobby from a Chinese wholesaler / Banggoods EU-store, seems to be some rebranded HT208D-unit with the fabulous name "Habotest" (around 35 euro with incl.delivery & DK 25%VAT, its like the Kaiweets variant, just without the silicone probe leads and the reason for the lower price)
It does got tons of features and its inrush was quite fast, when I fiddled around with the ms-timespan on a cheap LIPO-spot welder, though I can't really measure if its accurate in DC on these fast readings, though with the price in mind, it's not a bad AC&DC clamp meter. for higher amp-ranges.
https://tinyurl.com/kydf6f7s

If you need both high ampere, like in the tree digits & also low-ampere range (like 1mA res) in AC&DC, then you need two clamp meters, at least from a budget perspective, as their HS-sensors are optimized for a certain range, but that is certainly possible well below 100US for both a low ampere & high ampere clamp-meter, when its budget brands' like Uni-t & likewise, there is numerous other models that also manage 1mA and got some added features like dual display and higher count, like the ACM91 & 92, but got no idea if they are any good..

// Lygte-Info (HJK from EEV) got a review of most of these. https://lygte-info.dk/info/indexDMMReviews%20UK.html
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 07:11:09 am by DaneLaw »

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 04:16:42 am »
I have the UT210e, and it's great for low current applications. I also have an Ideal 61-757 for higher current applications, which also seems to work quite well, but is outside of your budget.

If you want a general purpose (1A and up) for under 100, a Uni-T UT207B should be decent. If you want low current (100A and lower) only, a UT210e is the best value.

Online J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 05:15:59 am »
Another option that might be of interest is a dedicated clamp accessory to use with your DMM, such as the CA-60.  These and other similar clamps are also commonly used for oscilloscopes.  Whether it has banana jacks or a BNC output doesn't matter, just adapt it as necessary.

For very low currents and very high accuracy/resolution, keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on a Fluke process clamp meter like the 771.  0.01mA resolution from 0-20mA, 0.1mA resolution up to 110mA.

Offline sofakngTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 02:12:12 pm »
Thanks everybody.

I don't need to test above 100A so I might give the UT210E a try.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf