Author Topic: Power Designs 3650-S Teardown  (Read 5072 times)

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Power Designs 3650-S Teardown
« on: October 30, 2015, 11:28:06 pm »
A little while ago I ran across a 1968 Power Designs 3650-S power supply and, of course, I had to add it to my collection. This is a single-channel linear power supply, 36V and 5A, with current limiting. Besides the front panel aesthetics, this supply stands out with its use of an auto transformer as a pre-regulator. "They just don't make 'em like this anymore."

This unit was stored in a garage and was in need of cleaning, so I took the opportunity to take some photos to share while I got a few decades of dust out. A future restoration will attack the stickers, residue, and oxidation.

It's got a little rust on the case, but not too bad. At least it wasn't rained on like some I've seen.

There's a metal plate on the back with specs, instructions, and remote programming curves. :-+

Now, let's open it up. Here's the view from the top with the cover off. Big ol' transformer for the main rails, cool green ceramic resistor, a smaller transformer for the bias circuitry, and the toroidal pre-regulator.

And a closer look at the front half.

Back to the main transformer and the pass transistors mounted to two large heatsinks. 180W of passively cooled, quiet power!

The main board is on the right side of the chassis. Everything is point-to-point on turrets. Gotta love the big shiny trim pots.

Here's a quick look at the other side of the circuit board.

Now to the left side. Get a load of that whopper of a capacitor down there! It looked like someone left a can of soup hiding in there.

We've got to flip this puppy over to get a better look. Sprague/Power Designs 6000 µF, 60V. Only 85ºC, but it doesn't get hot in here.

From the underside, you can better see the auto transformer that's used to drop the main input voltage relative to the desired output voltage. On the auto transformer's shaft is the typical potentiometer to set the output regulator. So, when you turn the voltage knob, you're adjusting the input and output at the same time. Pretty cool.

Well, this concludes the tour of the new-to-me PD 3650-S. It'll now go into my queue for cleanup and performance verification. I'm also curious to measure and compare its current draw at various loads relative to other power supplies to see how much efficiency that pre-regulator adds.

If you like Power Designs power supplies, also check out my post on a Power Designs TP340A repair and facelift.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 03:16:12 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Barbouri, Luckbad

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
Re: Power Designs 3650-S Teardown
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 11:40:02 pm »
That thing is a beast! How much does that sucker way?

I've been waiting to see the inside of one of those. Thanks for posting your teardown photos.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 11:46:04 pm »
The form submitted prematurely. Just updated it to get the rest in.

It is a beast; it weighs 33 lbs.  :o

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 12:26:52 am »
Fantastic!!  :-+ Never seen those green cucumber-looking resistors before!

This unit was stored in a garage and was in need of cleaning, so I took the opportunity to take some photos to share while I got a few decades of dust out. A future restoration will attack the stickers, residue, and oxidation.

Yes please  ;)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 06:34:29 am »
Yeah, I'll post pictures after it's cleaned up. The good news is that it's still functional. The guy I bought it from demoed it by connecting a 12V lamp. It'll be interesting to see how well it functions with a full load test.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 08:46:16 am »
Thanks for the teardown, a really unique unit.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 12:34:21 pm »
Ahh, that's a monster.  And look at those specs, well filtered and quite stable!

I recently came into ownership of a pair of surge generators, which I'll have to take pictures of.  They're not even all that old, 1983 or so vintage -- but nonetheless made with 60s-classic construction: tinned PCBs, no soldermask; point-to-point (though not as much as your example!); DTL logic chips; canned capacitors; and yes, even variacs, though much smaller (they seem to be using them almost as rheostats!).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf