Author Topic: Pocket Multimeter Shootout! ANENG AN101 vs. Uni-T UT120C vs. Victor VC921  (Read 11226 times)

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
Re: Pocket Multimeter Shootout! ANENG AN101 vs. Uni-T UT120C vs. Victor VC921
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 06:24:57 am »
Plazma, did you succeed with any hacks?  It looks as if the Aneng is designed to do current measurement as an option.  There is space for a fuse, a couple of TVS diodes and a shunt resistor that would give a mA range.  There are links that look as if they could be configured to change the switch function so that the second Off position becomes current measurement (maybe 40mA and 400mA ranges).

Have you tried the data logging?  Pin 20 looks as if it is connected but it isn't possible to tell from the photos if it is enabled in the firmware.  Also, what are those two (?) switches hidden behind the probe leads at the edge near the battery compartment?

I have not tried to hack it yet. The internal button contacts did not have any effect.

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 09:02:31 pm »
I bought an AN101. I did not need another multimeter, just one more for my collection.
I'm not so satisfied with it like I was with the other ANENG meters (8002 and 8008) I bought.
My comments:
Pro:
at this price (about 8 Euros) it is, in any case, a bargain.
Cons:
Probes have thin and SHORT cables. They can be removed, but probes with longer and thicker cables  will not fit in the carrying case.
Standard replacement probes (with concentric plastic protection on the meter plugs), will not fit the meter's sockets.
The buzzer is practically inaudible in a moderately noisy environment.

Best regards
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Offline FungusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 09:23:57 pm »
My comments:
Pro:
at this price (about 8 Euros) it is, in any case, a bargain.

Yep.

Cons:
Probes have thin and SHORT cables. They can be removed, but probes with longer and thicker cables  will not fit in the carrying case.
Standard replacement probes (with concentric plastic protection on the meter plugs), will not fit the meter's sockets.

It's only a pocket meter for occasional use IMHO, so that doesn't bother me. It's still my favorite of the three.

You can always make leads longer with crocodile clips - use the multifunction leads included with your other Anengs(!)

I did not need another multimeter, just one more for my collection. I'm not so satisfied with it like I was with the other ANENG meters (8002 and 8008) I bought.

Get an AN860B+ if you want a satisfying ANENG for your collection. I love mine.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf