Author Topic: OWON HDS 200 Handheld Oscilloscope w/ builtin DMM/AWG  (Read 242261 times)

Offline Evgeny

Re: OWON HDS 200 Handheld Oscilloscope w/ builtin DMM/AWG
« Reply #600 on: February 07, 2023, 03:08:09 pm »
There is no synchronization in ROLL mode, so Vmax and Vmin measurements do not work.Turn on standby mode and everything will work.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline orb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #601 on: February 07, 2023, 08:54:13 pm »
There is no synchronization in ROLL mode, so Vmax and Vmin measurements do not work.Turn on standby mode and everything will work.

I know, but the funny thing is that this option worked fine on hds242 (fw: v4.1.0). They have messed this up in newer firmware versions, which is even mentioned by funky303 (hds242 & fw: v8.1.0). ;)

Btw. I wrote a simple script to batch resize small screenshots (.bmp -> .png) without blurring (only for linux users). It requires imagemagick (mogrify).

Code: [Select]
#!/usr/bin/env bash
[[ $1 =~ ^[1-9][0-9]*$ ]] && find . -type f -iname "*.bmp" -exec mogrify -format png -sample "${1}%" "{}" \; || echo -e "Usage: `basename $0` [resize value in percent]\n\nPercent value must be an integer and greater than 0!\n\nExample: `basename $0` 500"

Here is the result.

Original size:

Resized (300%):
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 11:08:45 pm by orb »
I came here for a while.

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Offline orb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #602 on: February 11, 2023, 06:12:27 pm »
2: Oscilloscope: The refresh time for triggers with large time bases (e.G. >500ms/div) appears very high.
The graph should be able to immediately and continuously map the current sample memory during each trigger event.
- Example: 1kHz int. generator with M:1.0s (1s/div) & PeakDetect & "trigger norm" measured. The update takes many seconds. If input signal is disconnected (= 0), and "force Trigger" is pressed to clear the screen, then it also takes a long time until a correct display occurs.

In my hds2102s (fw: v3.0.0; hw: v1.1) I noticed this dependency:

In the "normal" trigger mode, there is always a "16 * x s/div" multiplier for the time, after this the waveform is displayed/refreshed. At first I thought that time was random, but it doesn't seem to be.
I came here for a while.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #603 on: February 11, 2023, 07:49:44 pm »
Appears normal to me as after all, DSO acquisition does not follow CRO behaviour at 1s/div when a DSO is in Roll mode some of which display nothing until until the display buffer is full.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, orb

Offline orb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #604 on: February 11, 2023, 11:36:57 pm »
Good to know, thanks. I wasn't sure. For me it also looks more like "programmed" than "random" behavior.
I came here for a while.

Offline S57UUU

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #605 on: February 12, 2023, 07:55:14 am »
My old Tek 2232 (a CRO with a digital storage option from the 80's) shows the same behavior in roll mode. At trigger, it starts to fill the buffer "from the right side". If the displayed part is not all the way to the right, you need to wait until the buffer fill reaches the displayed section.
The solution there is to move the displayed portion all the way to the right.

The following users thanked this post: orb

Offline juraj.jurej

« Reply #606 on: February 16, 2023, 09:27:21 am »
Is it better to use protected batteries due to discharge (undercharging) in standby mode, or are these batteries protected by a circuit in the device?

Offline orb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #607 on: February 17, 2023, 03:06:47 pm »
I don't know if it has discharge protection, I haven't checked.

In my hds2102s (hw:1.1, fw:3.0.0) battery management is weird. When charging, the scopemeter draws about 1.9A @ 5V from the charger, which is probably about 1A/cell @ 4.2V (battery capacity 2x2600 mAh.)
After fully charging, the battery indicator drops quite quickly during operation. However, after the "battery low" message appears, the scopemeter works for another 1.5h or more. After reboot, the indicator shows a much higher battery level than before the shutdown. After a while of work, it drops again.
From what I remember in hds242 (fw: 4.1.0) the discharge indicator was better calibrated. Scopemeter worked for about 4 hours, after that time the message "battery low" appeared, and after a few minutes the device turned off.

In the photos below, 2 channels and a generator were turned on. The battery status was low, but the scopemeter was not even going to turn off.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 03:25:14 pm by orb »
I came here for a while.

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #608 on: February 18, 2023, 03:45:30 pm »
Is it better to use protected batteries due to discharge (undercharging) in standby mode, or are these batteries protected by a circuit in the device?

My HDS2102 with board HDS2xx2x version 1.0 dated 2022-03-30 uses a Shikues BRC3130ME chip for battery protection. Both batteries are jumpered in parallel so the one chip is protecting both batteries. According to that chip's datasheet it has overdischarge between 2.3 and 2.5v.

Mine also uses a SGM41521 IC for charging.

Offline orb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #609 on: February 19, 2023, 01:11:29 pm »
Shikues BRC3130ME

Where can I find it on the mainboard? I found "SGM41521" only, but I've only photos at this moment. Mr. Chinese also left fingerprints on the metal cover. Maybe it's some kind of personal signature? ;)

I also got rid of the balls after soldering. There were several of them on both side of the motherboard.

Back of the motherboard (the metal cover also has a "signature").

« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 02:02:13 pm by orb »
I came here for a while.

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #610 on: February 19, 2023, 04:22:12 pm »
Shikues BRC3130ME

Where can I find it on the mainboard? I found "SGM41521" only, but I've only photos at this moment. Mr. Chinese also left fingerprints on the metal cover. Maybe it's some kind of personal signature? ;)

I also got rid of the balls after soldering. There were several of them on both side of the motherboard.

Back of the motherboard (the metal cover also has a "signature").

It's a small six pin surface mount chip near the battery solder pads. Look in-between the battery and the heat shield, near the sgm41521.

Interestingly on mine they populated one for each battery, then cut the tab for the second battery and jumpered the two batteries together. Looks like they might have done the same to yours

Offline orb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #611 on: February 19, 2023, 06:37:23 pm »
Thanks. I think I have 2 chips, one partially covered with a white goo.

I came here for a while.

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #612 on: February 19, 2023, 07:06:33 pm »
Thanks. I think I have 2 chips, one partially covered with a white goo.

That looks correct. If you trace the chip covered with goop, I bet it's going to the unconnected pad for the second battery.

Offline orb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #613 on: February 19, 2023, 07:40:49 pm »
I don't have better photos of this area.

Charging; USB meter: Keweisi KWS-MX18; capacity rated for ~5V.

Info from the manual.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 11:41:03 pm by orb »
I came here for a while.

Offline funky303

« Reply #614 on: February 27, 2023, 04:55:51 pm »
short update:
due to new bugs in test-fw-8.1.0,
I downgraded back to 8.0.1
They are working on new Version...
So there is some hope...
I will report back...

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #615 on: March 06, 2023, 07:43:21 am »
blinking button to warn missing batteries is a preferable feature imho. to warn us to get batteries asap. operating without batteries could overload charging circuit, or not recommended because of various reasons.

It's also useful if the OWON has drained the batteries to the point where they'll no longer take a charge, which appears to be the case with my one, looks like the charging circuit isn't registering them as present.

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #616 on: March 06, 2023, 07:51:57 am »

No protection AFAICT, the OWON discharged mine to the point where the charge circuitry won't register them as present any more so I get the red blinking light.  Will try them on an MC3000 later to see if I can revive them, although given that they're probably no-name Chinese cells I'm not sure how much... well, Chinese roulette I want to play with them.

Update: I'd left it hooked up to a lab power supply that showed current drawn (because why put any kind of charging indicator on the scope?) and came back after a few hours and saw the current draw had gone from about 5mA to 1A, so at some point it must have decided to start charging.  So now it's busy charging a NMC cells of dubious quality that have possibly been overdischarged...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 08:51:49 am by 5U4GB »

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #617 on: March 06, 2023, 07:57:40 am »
Another point unrelated to the batteries, like any number of other vendors OWON appears to have screwed up the USB-C power circuitry so if you try and charge it from a USB-C device it won't charge or even power up.  You need to use a USB-A to USB-C cable to run it, not a USB-C to USB-C.

And as a general note on things with USB-C connectors that aren't laptops, tablets or cellphones, if you plug it into a USB-C cable and it won't power up, or crashes randomly, or whatever, try a USB-A to USB-C cable.  The number of IoT devices I've got that have USB-C connectors but can't be powered from USB-C is crazy.  Kudos to VisionFive for being one of the few vendors I can think of right now who actually got their USB-C power handling right.

Offline stylon

« Reply #618 on: March 07, 2023, 12:55:16 pm »
Is there any information yet about the ADC being used in the HDS2202(S), i.e. the 200MHz model? Is it the HMCAD1511 or the Chinese LS08D1500? Unfortunately, the only teardown (video) of an HDS2202 that I found so far doesn't show the ADC chip.

Edit: just noticed that konnor had shared photos of the ADC in an older post and that even the board seems to be the same as in the HDC2102 except for what looks to me like an unpopulated IDT 8V97051?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 01:11:27 pm by stylon »

Offline DariuszEE

« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 08:24:36 pm by DariuszEE »

The following users thanked this post: luma, Markus2801A, orb

Offline juraj.jurej

« Reply #620 on: March 13, 2023, 01:50:00 pm »
Where to download pc software for owon 200 series for win11?

Offline orb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #621 on: March 13, 2023, 03:08:01 pm »
short update:
due to new bugs in test-fw-8.1.0,
I downgraded back to 8.0.1
They are working on new Version...
So there is some hope...
I will report back...

Any news? More than a month ago, I sent a video showing similar problems to yours, but I haven't received any information if there will be new firmware for hds2102s v3.X.X.
I came here for a while.

Offline funky303

« Reply #622 on: March 18, 2023, 12:51:42 am »
Nein, habe noch keine weitere Info von OWON erhalten.

Offline orb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #623 on: March 27, 2023, 10:04:26 am »
One more question
Does the www.eevblog.com forum have a file server where you can post and link, for example, photos?

Hi. You can add an attachment and then link to a larger image using the [img] tag. This is what forum members do.
I came here for a while.

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #624 on: March 28, 2023, 02:04:13 am »
Purchased new HDS272S this past week. It came with V8.1.0

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf