Author Topic: Odd (almost) vintage Iranian Oscilloscope.  (Read 9676 times)

Offline alimirjamaliTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Analog! D2A or A2D?
    • Ali's personal blog (updated once per year!)
Odd (almost) vintage Iranian Oscilloscope.
« on: August 03, 2014, 03:06:20 pm »
I recently bought this almost vintage Iranian made Scope second hand. It should be from the early 1980s

During the Iran-Iraq war, Iran revived Iran Electronic Industries (SA-Iran) which had been an initiative by overthrown ex-King. The target was to cut Iran's dependence to imported test gear and electronic components. The company produced various test gear and discreet components (also 555 ICs for a short period). Obviously it was not financially justified in long-term and production of test gears and components has been abandoned.

Their activity is currently diversified to military equipment. Radars, GSM jamming devices, missile control circuit (you bet!), etc.

Almost all test gear are made in China nowadays anyway!

Iran Electronics Industries page on WIKIPEDIA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Electronics_Industries

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Odd (almost) vintage Iranian Oscilloscope.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 03:31:25 pm »
Hi Ali,

It looks a pretty decent scope.

Could we have a peek inside as well, please :-)

Offline xwarp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 03:31:38 pm »
Now that is interesting!

• Regular Contributor
  • Analog! D2A or A2D?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 03:45:39 pm »
Hi Ali,

It looks a pretty decent scope.

Could we have a peek inside as well, please :-)

I will post photos of the inside. Please note that sometimes they designed from scratch, sometimes only local assembly and occasionally re-branded import test gear. I also have a multi-meter from the same company. I will post it as well.

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 04:37:46 pm »
I also look forward to internal pics, I always find it interesting to look at test gear not made in the usual countries(includes the USSR).
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 05:30:04 pm »
Well, the scope looks OK, like a western product. Is it really from early 1980s? For me it looks like early 1990s.
Does it still work? It definitely looks better than USSR and CSSR made scopes from that age. BTW here is web of today's Iran Iran Electronics Industries. http://www.ieicorp.ir/products

Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

• Regular Contributor
  • Analog! D2A or A2D?
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 06:07:12 pm »
Well, the scope looks OK, like a western product. Is it really from early 1980s? For me it looks like early 1990s.
Does it still work? It definitely looks better than USSR and CSSR made scopes from that age. BTW here is web of today's Iran Iran Electronics Industries. http://www.ieicorp.ir/products

They were sold in the early 1980s as far as I remember. Maybe this one is a newer model. I have not opened the case yet. Will check the date codes of the ICs and post pictures tomorrow.

edit: Yes it works.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:14:03 pm by alimirjamali »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 06:55:30 pm »
That looks like a rebadged version of my own Kenwood CS-4025.

Example:

I've got the full service manual for it too. I'll dig it out. Mines got a trigger problem I mean to fix. I think every lab should have at least one analogue 'scope!

• Regular Contributor
  • Analog! D2A or A2D?
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 08:12:29 pm »
That looks like a rebadged version of my own Kenwood CS-4025.

I've got the full service manual for it too. I'll dig it out. Mines got a trigger problem I mean to fix. I think every lab should have at least one analogue 'scope!

I just opened it and for sure it is a rebadged version of the Kenwood CS-4025. The CRT is also labeled Kenwood. I am not sure about the PCBs and their assembly. IEI had a wave-soldering facility in Shiraz at that time. There is no any sign on the PCBs to show if they are locally produced.

Here is a photo of the rear of the case (Serial No. is 3153):

Not very interesting. :palm: I will take a look into a Multi-meter from the same company to see if it is also a re-badge or their own design.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 08:14:27 pm »
Old analogue scopes are great! Quick view of the internals of the CS-4025, and messing with the X/Y mode here:

OK, Service manual here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!t0lXjR6I!YyxVeXqOZjchHoub1Mn2jQhMw6OW-WF3c567bdagYWY

Also of interest is the infernal custom hybrid IC which is impossible to get anywhere. Thankfully it has been reverse engineered. If you need it, the PCB layout and circuit diagram here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!l5cQySBR!v95YpP4QwtdgqhTOFUWIUjpzH5Tt4548Uq4BVTXxP3I
https://mega.co.nz/#!EpMAESpC!1yVkjWHeOkWHk-2KNyWpjfDSAPr36GVf-qa4OXmcttA

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 08:17:34 pm »
Made in Iran

The word "made" can mean different things to different people at different times.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 08:23:19 pm »
Here is a photo of the rear of the case (Serial No. is 3153):
Not very interesting. :palm: I will take a look into a Multi-meter from the same company to see if it is also a re-badge or their own design.

I think the "MADE IN IRAN" should be more accurately labelled "ASSEMBLED IN IRAN", but even more realistically "RATHER SHITE RE-BADGING IN IRAN".

Being Kenwood I believe it was actually made in Japan.

Clearly there was someone on the take and some corruption if the Ayatollah demanded Electronics actually be produced in Iran. Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 08:37:13 pm »
Made in Iran

The word "made" can mean different things to different people at different times.

Indeed. Clearly there was someone on the "make" if it was deemed by politicians that Electronics gear should be home produced.

You know, I look at all the old 1970's photos and film of Iran and it looked like a really cool and hip place, gorgeous Persian hip girls and boys everywhere. Really good education, "terrible" western influence and music. I understand there is a MASSIVE disparity in numbers of young and liberal vs old and conservative. Turkey has a similar problem.

One thing, I do not think Iran is part of "the axis of evil", I mean hell they have a job on their hands keeping ISIS away.

Ali, welcome onboard. Religion and politics have no place in Electronics so I will shut up now:-DD

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 09:01:32 pm »
Tsssss and they did not even bother to replace the english words on this apparatus with their own persian language, totally useless for the common persian EE  :-DD

• Regular Contributor
  • Analog! D2A or A2D?
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 09:05:39 pm »
Indeed. Clearly there was someone on the "make" if it was deemed by politicians that Electronics gear should be home produced.

You know, I look at all the old 1970's photos and film of Iran and it looked like a really cool and hip place, gorgeous Persian hip girls and boys everywhere. Really good education, "terrible" western influence and music. I understand there is a MASSIVE disparity in numbers of young and liberal vs old and conservative. Turkey has a similar problem.

One thing, I do not think Iran is part of "the axis of evil", I mean hell they have a job on their hands keeping ISIS away.

Ali, welcome onboard. Religion and politics have no place in Electronics so I will shut up now:-DD

It does not surprise me either ;D. Most of the time it is just propaganda for the regime. BTW, I am neither religious nor politically biased to the regime ^-^. Your understanding of the new generation of Iranians is absolutely right. Most of the Iranians are born after revolutions and are WWW generation.

edit.:
P.S.: Thanks a lot for the links to service manual, PCB layout and circuit diagram.

Tsssss and they did not even bother to replace the english words on this apparatus with their own persian language, totally useless for the common persian EE  :-DD

No of course not. During the war, propaganda had priority to almost everything else.

edit.: All EE course principles and EE terms in universities are in English  ;).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:23:04 pm by alimirjamali »

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 07:00:20 am »
All EE courses in universities and EE terms are in English
That's great if you sometime like to work somewhere else  ;)
Well if it had Persian texts it would have made it more exotic and I think a lot of western EE would have liked to add it to the collection  ;)

Offline afnani

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 10:05:41 pm »
Hi Dear Alimirjamali.
I have very glade you are here.
I'm Saeid. please help me. TNX alot.
I have bought a same type  osciloscop but used. that is not work . I am electronics tecnisian. I have decided to repaire it but I have not any schematic of circute. can you help me to fix it ?

• Regular Contributor
  • Analog! D2A or A2D?
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 10:36:40 pm »
Hi Dear Alimirjamali.
I have very glade you are here.
I'm Saeid. please help me. TNX alot.
I have bought a same type  osciloscop but used. that is not work . I am electronics tecnisian. I have decided to repaire it but I have not any schematic of circute. can you help me to fix it ?

Hi Saeid. Please refer to this comment by Macbeth. He had provided all necessary service manuals and schematics.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf