Author Topic: News about Rigol DP932E  (Read 7568 times)

Offline giubinTopic starter

• Contributor
News about Rigol DP932E
« on: December 11, 2022, 05:23:11 am »
C’mon DP932E’s owners. Internet is waiting for you. Pictures? Tests? Thanks 😊🤟🏽

The following users thanked this post: radensb

Offline radensb

• Contributor
Re: News about Rigol DP932E
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 07:43:29 pm »
My main question is how different is it HW/SW wise to the DP932A!? No cutouts and missing connectors on PCB? Or, actual different HW? Can an E model become an A model with some work? $450 to $750 is a pretty big jump!

Very curious!

The following users thanked this post: giubin, Caliaxy, Xoff

Offline 2_71

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 09:54:35 pm »
I just ordered one of these from Rigol but it won't arrive for a couple of weeks. I'm interested to see if it has the I/O port on back like in the photos, even though the manual says it doesn't come with it.

The following users thanked this post: giubin

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 12:50:10 pm »
I just ordered one of these from Rigol but it won't arrive for a couple of weeks. I'm interested to see if it has the I/O port on back like in the photos, even though the manual says it doesn't come with it.

Digital I/O port is present.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, radensb

Offline radensb

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 12:13:41 am »
This is really interesting being that they said it was not an upgradable option. Must be cheaper to leave it on so they can use the exact same hardware and enclosure. This begs the question - What makes it not an upgradeable option? Same with the arbgen function. Is the OS aware of what model it is supposed to be and doesn't allow an unlock key for those features? Can the model be changed in some config file???

Looking more and more like the E model is an A model at heart.  :-+

Rigol Upgraders - ASSEMBLE!

The following users thanked this post: Xoff

Offline 2_71

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2022, 05:18:53 pm »
My DP932E should be getting delivered tomorrow so I'll get some photos posted in just a day or two. My knowledge of electronics isn't the best so let me know if there's anything in particular you'd like to see photoed or inspected.

Offline 2_71

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2022, 06:21:26 pm »
Here's a photo of the front

The following users thanked this post: newmaster, giubin, radensb

Offline 2_71

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2022, 06:22:18 pm »
and the back

The following users thanked this post: newmaster, giubin, radensb

Offline radensb

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2022, 10:49:32 pm »
Its physically got the DIO port and Arb button, which are features Rigol says are not available on the E model. This tells me that they may be with some creative work.

• Can you look in the settings and show us what the upgradable options are? This may change based on what model is listed in some config file.
  • Would you be willing to open the unit and take some high res pics of the internals? Things like board part numbers, etc? I recall that the DB832 had boards marked as DP823A, which was a big giveaway.

Looks like a solid unit! Thanks for providing us info!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 12:13:23 am »
Where are the quick access Series and Parallel mode buttons ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline 2_71

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2022, 12:47:50 am »

Utility button -> Output -> CH-Connection drop-down menu [independent/parallel/series]

I find having dedicated numerical buttons on the front panel to be much more useful. But it would have been nice to have both.

Offline 2_71

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2022, 12:57:07 am »
Its physically got the DIO port and Arb button, which are features Rigol says are not available on the E model. This tells me that they may be with some creative work.

• Can you look in the settings and show us what the upgradable options are? This may change based on what model is listed in some config file.
  • Would you be willing to open the unit and take some high res pics of the internals? Things like board part numbers, etc? I recall that the DB832 had boards marked as DP823A, which was a big giveaway.

Looks like a solid unit! Thanks for providing us info!

Just from memory, there's an "upgrade" section in the menu that lists only the DP900-HIRES option for purchase. However, most of the options in the utility menu give a "Option not included with this version. Please buy." message on the screen when denying access to the trigger/arb/(one other one I forget) functions. I'll take another look at it and attempt to disassemble the case to get some more photos.

Is there an easy way to post high-res photos? I kept getting a 5Mb limit per post message and had to reduce the image quality to get it to go through.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2022, 01:51:05 am »

Utility button -> Output -> CH-Connection drop-down menu [independent/parallel/series]
Thanks, I half expected that.
Just from memory, there's an "upgrade" section in the menu that lists only the DP900-HIRES option for purchase. However, most of the options in the utility menu give a "Option not included with this version. Please buy." message on the screen when denying access to the trigger/arb/(one other one I forget) functions. I'll take another look at it and attempt to disassemble the case to get some more photos.
Ah, sounds like some features waiting/begging to be hacked.

Is there an easy way to post high-res photos?
No other than provide a link to them externally hosted.
Do the forum a favor and reduce them to fit within forum limits.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline giubinTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2022, 04:16:42 pm »
and the back

Wow, thanks man. This is good news. D-IO and Arb button on the front. I'm pretty sure that in the near future, someone will find a way to "upgrade" this beauty.

Offline Xoff

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2022, 04:37:16 pm »
For all wanted to communicate with DP932E over the LAN, Rigol has changed standard SCPI port (5555) to 5025.
I can recommend to use 'EEZ Studio 0.9.97' (https://github.com/eez-open/studio) - cross-platform run-time (Linux, Windows, Mac OS X).

In addition to standard USB firmware upgrade (DP900_DP2000_Update.GEL), there is also an internet upgrade option: Rigol > Help > Upgrade > Remote.
Firmware version of DP932E calibrated on 2022/9/25 is 01.00.01.00.16 On Rigol site you can find firmware dated 06/07/2022 (so it looks to be older version).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 04:56:08 pm by Xoff »

Offline Xoff

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2022, 05:18:18 pm »
Fun fact - my DP932E looks like DP932A model (coloured channel selection buttons 1/2/3). I hope to have the same HW/SW inside...  ;)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 05:24:13 pm by Xoff »

The following users thanked this post: giubin

Offline 2_71

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2022, 09:59:34 pm »
Still figuring out how to post photos. Here's a few of the interface with some explanations:

Utility button -> Option
1674502-0
Clicking "Install" in the Option menu
1674508-1
Main menu
1674514-2
Pop-up message when clicking on Arbitrary/Monitor/Trigger
1674520-3
Utility button -> Interface
1674526-4
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 10:06:25 pm by 2_71 »

The following users thanked this post: DaneLaw

Offline 2_71

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2022, 10:16:49 pm »
Here's the inside

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline 2_71

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2022, 10:22:11 pm »
And a few more

The following users thanked this post: DaneLaw

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2022, 07:56:44 am »
Main board looks identical to DP2031. Just components missing, but I guess it's not a surprise.

How do you like interface, does it feel intuitive for you?
I don't like the fact that if you are in one channel settings window, you can't go back to summary window using Back button. You have to press i.e. Utility button twice.
Why just not assign that to Back button?

Also what I find annoying is using series and parallel mode.
The fact that in series mode voltage setting from channel 1 follows on channel 2. If so, why just not make one setting that is a total of those 2?
And the fact that parallel mode same thing is with current. You always need to think of what you want to set and then enter half of the value.

Offline Xoff

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2022, 08:47:31 am »
How do you like interface, does it feel intuitive for you?
I don't like the fact that if you are in one channel settings window, you can't go back to summary window using Back button. You have to press i.e. Utility button twice.
Why just not assign that to Back button?

I really like touch-up screen to the extend, I typically don't use physical numeric buttons. For example to set voltage/current:
1. Tap small A/V values (bottom line along Rigol logo)
2. Tap V field and enter desired voltage value using on-screen keys) ending pressing V or mV (no enter needed)
3. Tap A field and enter desired current anding pressing A or mA
4. Tap small A/V values (like pkt.1) to return to the main screen (Display).

Generally instead of small and inconvenient 'Back' button use Rigol logo in the left bottom corner of the screen.

Offline Xoff

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2022, 09:05:22 am »
Also what I find annoying is using series and parallel mode.
The fact that in series mode voltage setting from channel 1 follows on channel 2. If so, why just not make one setting that is a total of those 2?
And the fact that parallel mode same thing is with current. You always need to think of what you want to set and then enter half of the value.

Could not agree more! First of all the symbol (pictogram) informing of selected mode (independent/serial/parallel) is way to small.
Setting and displaying of volts/amps values is not intuitive. I will prefer to have CH2 panel disabled with clear information ex.: 'CH1/CH2 Connected in series'.

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2022, 09:09:04 am »
I really like touch-up screen to the extend, I typically don't use physical numeric buttons. For example to set voltage/current:
1. Tap small A/V values (bottom line along Rigol logo)
2. Tap V field and enter desired voltage value using on-screen keys) ending pressing V or mV (no enter needed)
3. Tap A field and enter desired current anding pressing A or mA
4. Tap small A/V values (like pkt.1) to return to the main screen (Display).
Yes, that is true, but valid only if you want to purely use touch screen.
If one want's to use only then interface is pretty good, and I didn't find anything there.

My work is not that sterile, hands are oily sometimes. Don't want to use touchscreen if I have physical buttons available. And it's those buttons that are having small annoying issues in UI.

Could not agree more! First of all the symbol (pictogram) informing of selected mode (independent/serial/parallel) is way to small.
Setting and displaying of volts/amps values is not intuitive. I will prefer to have CH2 panel disabled with clear information ex.: 'CH1/CH2 Connected in series'.

Agree 100%

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2024, 09:16:06 am »
Can it charge batteries without a diode? Is the problem that was in the DP8xx series fixed?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2024, 10:55:03 am »
Can it charge batteries without a diode? Is the problem that was in the DP8xx series fixed?

It is not a problem. Laboratory PSU is not battery charger.
To charge batteries use charger. They are much cheaper too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf