Author Topic: New UNI-T oscilloscopes: UPO2000CS and UPO5000CS.  (Read 9383 times)

Offline CarringtonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
New UNI-T oscilloscopes: UPO2000CS and UPO5000CS.
« on: October 06, 2016, 01:25:51 pm »
Yes, UNI-T has released new oscilloscopes, the UPO2000CS and the UPO5000CS.
These new series seem to be in line with some RIGOL or SIGLENT oscilloscopes, even from an aesthetic point of view.

I could not find any video, but at least on paper they seem much less crappy than their UNI-T predecessors.

Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.uni-trend.com/productscatelist.aspx?ProductsCateID=849&CateID=849&CurrCateID=849&showCateID=849

Not much more info on the web (for now)...  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:36:32 pm by Carrington »
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

The following users thanked this post: jjoonathan

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: New UNI-T oscilloscopes: UPO2000CS and UPO5000CS.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 01:43:21 pm »
They seem a bit pricey compared to the competition. They have a really huge capture memory, and I'm not sure there is anything else unusually well featured about them.

Offline omgfire

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 01:58:21 pm »
I'm not sure there is anything else unusually well featured about them.
How about "Independent Channel Control"?
http://uni-tshop.com/product/catalogue/catalogue2016.pdf

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 06:48:36 pm »
They seem a bit pricey compared to the competition. They have a really huge capture memory, and I'm not sure there is anything else unusually well featured about them.
Where did you find pricing?

The UPO2000CS series are comparable to the SDS1000X series except without 50  \$\Omega\$ inputs.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 06:58:24 pm »
Where did you find pricing?
In the shops and on TaoBao.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, jjoonathan

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 09:42:34 pm »
Will these scopes be sold outside China?
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 10:03:11 pm »
Uni-T is good for products that don't have a lot of software, such as e.g. multi-meters.

Oscilloscopes require software updates with bug fixes, and Uni-T is not good in this.

So better to skip forward and look to another vendor.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 10:24:58 pm »
Oscilloscopes require software updates with bug fixes, and Uni-T is not good in this.
Who's to know, really?  :-//
Uni-T's been around for a good while, in fact I looked hard at buying my first DSO from them ~20 yrs ago.
Instead I bought a 2nd hand Tek DSO that was on the market locally for less than anything else I could find new.

Any of the Asian manufacturers have some good features in their product lines and Uni-T is no different.
But aren't the Chinese and Uni-T on Spring break ATM so we'll likely have to wait until next week for much further info.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 10:26:06 pm »
I'm almost certain that's Rigol based (DS1000Z), the button lay outs are almost identical and the 6 buttons in a row next to the "intensity" knob are the same.
Also the software looks very similar, especially the tabbed menus.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 02:13:17 am »
Yeah, and if anything the UPO5000 series has an even closer resemblance to the Rigol DS4000 series  :-DD . Slightly higher wfm/s, slightly more memory, USB decoding, double cursor knobs, 4 *different* colors for the 4 channels, all nice incremental improvements, but no hacks or used ebay models to bring prices down. Now that even the Agilent 3000 series has hacks that's probably a tough sell to the hobbyist-one-level-up-from-1054Z market segment depending on how aggressively they price it (my guess: not very -- high end ADCs and FPGAs haven't plummeted in the interim).

It's hard to evaluate the software without actually playing with it, of course. The DS4000 was severely buggy at first and still has some stinkers 4 years later (jumpy trigger when scrolling, crusty serial decodes, slow+short+inflexible FFT) so it's not something to shrug off. I don't know whether to read "we lifted the UI wholesale form Rigol" thing as a strategy that gave Uni-T more time to focus on quality or whether to read it as a sign that they care even less about their FW. I guess I'll have to wait for a review.

All this competition between B-brands is exciting stuff. Rigol's lineup is getting pretty heavily besieged these days, can't wait to see if we get some turnover in the next year or so, especially with the rumors about them trying their hand at ASIC design.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:20:23 am by jjoonathan »

Offline Faith

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 08:09:22 am »
4 *different* colors for the 4 channels

:-DD

I have always wondered why Rigol opted for two shades of blue to differentiate two of the channels.

Are we really that short on colours? >,<"...

<3 ~Faith~

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 09:16:00 am »
Yeahm, that Uni-T 5000 series is clearly "inspired" by the Rigol DS4000 - tried to download the manual but no go. It would be interesting to see some prices - not to mention a review and/or head to head comparison with the Rigol DS4000.

jjoonathan,
Out of interest, what do you feel is (still) crusty with the serial decoders on the Rigol DS4000?

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 10:12:54 am »
Yeahm, that Uni-T 5000 series is clearly "inspired" by the Rigol DS4000 - tried to download the manual but no go. It would be interesting to see some prices - not to mention a review and/or head to head comparison with the Rigol DS4000.

jjoonathan,
Out of interest, what do you feel is (still) crusty with the serial decoders on the Rigol DS4000?
I'm not sure if the UPO5000CS models are actually available. Only the UPO2000CS range seems to be on TaoBao or in the shops.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 11:03:51 am »
I'm almost certain that's Rigol based (DS1000Z), the button lay outs are almost identical and the 6 buttons in a row next to the "intensity" knob are the same.
they also have their language skills
"TRIGED"

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 01:50:03 am »
I'm not sure there is anything else unusually well featured about them.
How about "Independent Channel Control"?
http://uni-tshop.com/product/catalogue/catalogue2016.pdf

That's not independent channel control on the 2000CS series, regardless how the marketing department labels it. One set of controls is shared across four channels, selected via the buttons 1, 2, 3, 4. Independent channel control is on the 5000CS series, where each channel has its own set of controls.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 02:37:09 am »
I have always wondered why Rigol opted for two shades of blue to differentiate two of the channels.
Yeah, me too. It doesn't look so bad on any individual part of the system -- the front panel, the probes, the screen -- but in the wrong lighting the light blue probe matches the dark blue line on the screen and it becomes annoying.  :palm:

Quote from: H.O
Sometimes on the latest FW (2.3.0.3) the decode traces disappear when you scroll / change timebases. This isn't the "only decodes what's on screen" issue, they really do sometimes disappear, and they don't come back until you restart. Even at the best of times, they're obnoxiously slow. They're adequate for hobby use, but I would be quite upset if I had paid money for them and had to use them daily.

Quote from: bitseeker
That's not independent channel control on the 2000CS series, regardless how the marketing department labels it.
Not confidence inspiring.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 09:40:53 am »
Thanks jjoonathan,
Agreed, guite slow indeed. I don't think I've seen them disapear though but I've probably just not done the right/wrong thing to make that happen (or I've forgotten about it). I've been using the RS232 decoder on a DMX512 project quite a bit (from a hobby perspective) lately and it's actually been working quite nicely for me. For this particular case a lot better/faster than what I'd be able to do with my Saleae LOGIC.

We (or at least I) got them "for free" but I agree, had I actually bought a license I would be complaining to them about the speed. Not to mention a year or two ago when they almost didn't work at all (got out of sync, didn't work at all on segemented memory etc). Now it's a lot better and I've actually got real use out of them. Anyway, getting off topic, sorry about that.

Offline WackyGerman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 12:18:39 pm »
they also have their language skills
"TRIGED"
:-DD :-DD :-DD :palm:
There you can estimate how " well " the firmware was written . What a blooper and a heap of garbage  :-- :-- :-- :-- :--

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 02:09:33 pm »
Any teardowns yet? It would be nice to know what kind of platform they build these scopes on.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 03:50:51 pm »
Quote from: H.O
I've been using the RS232 decoder on a DMX512 project quite a bit (from a hobby perspective) lately and it's actually been working quite nicely for me.
Ah, I forgot to mention that I'm primarily using the SPI decoder, the RS232 decode might be less buggy. Agreed about the last FW update, it brought the decoders from "not usable" to "usable". For the SPI decoder means that I usually wind up restarting once every few hours. These aren't in the same league as Keysight's decoders, but seeing as the price of those dramatically exceeds what I paid for my entire 500MHz DS4000 I shouldn't be complaining!

Quote from: nctnico
It would be nice to know what kind of platform they build these scopes on.
If the insides take after Rigol scopes half as much as the outsides and tech specs, I'd wager that we can make a pretty good guess (modulo a model number or two).

DS1000Z,UPO2000CS: HMCAD1511 / Spartan 6 / Blackfin

DS4000,UPO5000: ADC08D1000 / Virtex 5 / Blackfin

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 06:23:57 pm »
Maybe these scopes are produced by Zhiyuan.

See the other thread about this manufacturer:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-zhiyuan-zds2022-scope-released/

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 07:26:42 pm »
Maybe, but the front panel is very different.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 08:04:09 pm »
Maybe these scopes are produced by Zhiyuan.

See the other thread about this manufacturer:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-zhiyuan-zds2022-scope-released/
Is that just a random guess, or do you have a reason to say that? The scopes look nothing like each other, don't appear to have similar specs, and the two companies have been producing their own products for years.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf