Author Topic: New Tektronix 3 Series MDO  (Read 31364 times)

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
Re: New Tektronix 3 Series MDO
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2019, 01:02:17 am »
Tek seems to have gone backwards with the Spectrum Analyzer on tyhe MDO3 compared to the MDO3000.

However the MDO4, 5 and 6 have Spectrum View which takes advantage of features built into the new ASIC's. I was told that this feature is available on each channel. Nice  :-+

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 01:07:22 am by snoopy »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2019, 04:34:43 am »
Sorry to hear you’re not getting a response. Please PM me your location and contact info and I’ll make sure you get taken care of.
-Rich

R&S responding on the forum in a Tektronix thread.
Guess who cares more...  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2020, 01:00:12 pm »
I just got a marketing email for the 3 series, up to $7k off + free modules.
Got me thinking, it's been a year now, and given how the release was kinda met with, meh on here, what's the thinking now?
Has anyone bought one or is considering buying one?, or did Tek miss the mark?

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2020, 01:41:21 pm »
Got me thinking, it's been a year now, and given how the release was kinda met with, meh on here, what's the thinking now?

No people are hanging out for a used MDO3000 at a good price and optioning them up with the crack ;)

cheers

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2020, 03:51:44 pm »

We rarely buy any Tek stuff but a couple of months ago I got a MDO34 1GHz unit with 3GHz "SA" as a demo because one of our clients' marketeers insisted we evaluate them as well (he knew the brand name).

It turned out to be only moderately better than the old MDO3000 (which was horrible). The "SA" is still horrible and performs worse than the cheapest Rigol/Siglent standalone box (which costs around the same as what Tek wants just for the upgrade from 1GHz to 3GHz SA), and the other specs (sample rate, memory) are pretty much the same as with the predecessor. The MDO3 UI is an improvement over the horrible MOD3k UI but still not great. And we found quite a few annoying bugs in the device. The client's engineers also didn't like it.

So in my view, yes, it's as "meh" as pretty much any other scope we got from Tek. Which is rather sad, really.

The following users thanked this post: Sighound36

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2020, 09:19:03 am »
It turned out to be only moderately better than the old MDO3000 (which was horrible).

Yikes!

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2020, 11:18:06 am »
I have to agree having had both the 5 & 6 series scopes I can confirm they are under performers, clunky,very average UI way over priced for both software and probes. Ridiculous boot up time of around 6 minutes 12 bit dubious performance unless around 1Ghz on the 6 series probe prices like raw graphene costs!

Also our units crashed quite consistently.

Not having a downer on Tek here, have purchased two pieces of quality Tek test equipment very recently its just the scopes are way off the mark in many areas plus the silly pricing.

Look at LeCroy or Keysight equivalent offers much better all round imho

Some observations below

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rd-oscilloscope-acquisition-now-settled/msg3000760/#msg3000760
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 01:45:27 pm by Sighound36 »
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2020, 04:05:29 pm »
I think the pricing may be the worst part about these 3 and 4 series. The 3 series is attractively priced until you realize that is a base price with no options....and the options add up to 10k+ real fast. Sounds like anecdotal evidence says you aren't getting much for that money, either...

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2020, 04:56:01 pm »
I think the pricing may be the worst part about these 3 and 4 series. The 3 series is attractively priced until you realize that is a base price with no options....and the options add up to 10k+ real fast. Sounds like anecdotal evidence says you aren't getting much for that money, either...

Good observation Oculus, in the UK a new base model 4 is very attractively priced 4 channel model at £6210 +vat @ 20% this is for a base 200Mhz model

For the 1 GHz model add another £15,300 (+vat ) LOL  :-DD

They are having a promotion on the power analysis bundle and two basic probes plus the deskew fixture another £3600 (actually a fair price)

£1K for the Arb genny
Extra memory to 62.5M  :palm: £2K
Each of the serial data options (12 in total) are £1600 EACH :palm:
Basic spectrum view (which is pants imho) £1570
Spectrum bandwidth to 500Mhz increase  :-DD £2500
Each of the 8 channel logic probes are £1550 each
the probes range from £482 t £28000, yes £28000 for the Tru view probe.

It adds up very easily for this outlay you could purchase one hellva of a scope (not Tek) and have some serious change left over.

Do they feel that business users just look at the basic price?
This is joke pricing

Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2020, 05:34:49 pm »
Yeah, it's insane. Even if I was buying for a business with a big pile of cash on hand, I'd likely look elsewhere to get more for my money. I don't know if R&S is still doing it, but last year they were offering a fully loaded scope for $9999 US. I don't recall what kind of probes you got with the deal, but it included all options unlocked! No small amount of change still, but a hell of a deal compared to the 3 and 4 series if you have the disposable income (or budget if you are a business).

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2020, 05:40:54 pm »
Yeah, it's insane. Even if I was buying for a business with a big pile of cash on hand, I'd likely look elsewhere to get more for my money. I don't know if R&S is still doing it, but last year they were offering a fully loaded scope for $9999 US. I don't recall what kind of probes you got with the deal, but it included all options unlocked! No small amount of change still, but a hell of a deal compared to the 3 and 4 series if you have the disposable income (or budget if you are a business).
We're still doing it until the end of June.   :-+  Certainly not something a hobbyist would likely buy, but for a fully loaded, 4 analog plus 16 digital and 1GHz of BW, it's a pretty good deal and allows some companies the ability to get way more than they expected for their budget.

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2020, 02:05:39 am »

Test equipment is a bit like cars. As soon as you drive them out of the lot their value drops considerably. Explains why ebay is doing well with 2nd hand gear ;)

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2020, 02:47:53 am »

Test equipment is a bit like cars. As soon as you drive them out of the lot their value drops considerably. Explains why ebay is doing well with 2nd hand gear ;)

That's true, but it depends on the gear. Stuff like network analyzers that cover 26.5GHz and beyond still command pretty steep prices (even if they are a fraction of the original purchase price). Same goes for wideband oscilloscopes.

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2020, 09:28:18 am »
Tektronix 4 Series MSO vs Keysight 4000A X-Series Oscilloscopes

https://www.tek.com/blog/tektronix-4-series-mso-vs-keysight-4000a-x-series-oscilloscopes

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2020, 11:07:23 am »
Just to redress the balance a little, below is the most comprehensive comparison of current digital oscilloscopes from many ranges and vendors.

https://cdn.teledynelecroy.com/files/whitepapers/comparing-high-resolution-oscilloscope-design-approaches-wp.pdf

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2020, 12:24:54 am »
Depends who writes it of course. Watched this one last night !

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2020, 12:31:54 am »
Depends who writes it of course.
Can't play whack-a-mole with all the marketing half-truths that get pushed out as they are just too numerous.
Just to redress the balance a little, below is the most comprehensive comparison of current digital oscilloscopes from many ranges and vendors.
That document looks at it from a very specific viewpoint, taking the assumption that those are the important requirements for the user. Just as the "competitive" comparisons start with the assumption their baseline product is what you wanted to start with. As always the important requirements are application specific and can't be generalised to a global comparison.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2020, 12:58:06 am »
Depends who writes it of course.
Can't play whack-a-mole with all the marketing half-truths that get pushed out as they are just too numerous.
I agree. These 'comparisons' are utterly useless. Not even worth watching for fun.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2020, 05:58:06 am »
When it's done by an independent youtuber it's got a bit more credibility ;)

Offline elektropionir

• Contributor
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2020, 06:29:48 am »
Everything in this thread is pretty much what I have come to expect from Tektronix. Despair inducing prices and premium marketing BS.
Few years ago when Lecroy started pushing 12bit scopes, there was an article on tek homepage about how nobody needs 12bit scopes :)

Nevertheless, it is really sad to watch the complete hollowing out of once prosperous and iconic USA companies by these finance scumbags and private equity vampires.

The following users thanked this post: SVFeingold, james_s, Sighound36

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2020, 07:14:49 am »
Everything in this thread is pretty much what I have come to expect from Tektronix. Despair inducing prices and premium marketing BS.
Few years ago when Lecroy started pushing 12bit scopes, there was an article on tek homepage about how nobody needs 12bit scopes :)

Nevertheless, it is really sad to watch the complete hollowing out of once prosperous and iconic USA companies by these finance scumbags and private equity vampires.

Tek even made a video about it I believe ;)

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2020, 12:15:53 pm »
Some very valid points chaps, once you cut through the marketing BS and have the scopes to live with for a couple of weeks that is when the wheat from the chaff becomes quite obvious. Also you need to take into account the applications you are looking to really investigate and selecting the most suitable option for the purpose

We had on loan over a period of 2 months a R&S RTO2044, A Keysight S series 8Ghz, A Tek MSO654 8Ghz and the Wavepro 804HD-MS so we really did have first hand experience with all of these upper mid range scopes.

If we would have not plumped for the leCroy, the Keysight would have been next easily.

The Tek last and the R&S third, I just do not like its interface, however others it will be different  8)

When looking at options in this range there is no substitute for decent hands on daily use.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 02:06:51 pm by Sighound36 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2020, 01:54:27 am »
I believe Spectrum View is available at no additional cost on the Tek MSO 5 and 6 (optional for the MSO 4) ! This is like having a time correlated spectrum analyzer for each channel. Did you get to use it by any chance in your evaluations ?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2020, 05:24:53 am »
It's such a shame what has happened to Tek. I absolutely love the TDS3000 and TDS700 series scopes, but pretty much everything Tek has offered since then has missed the mark IMO.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2020, 09:30:10 am »
It's such a shame what has happened to Tek. I absolutely love the TDS3000 and TDS700 series scopes, but pretty much everything Tek has offered since then has missed the mark IMO.

Tek has missed the mark for a lot longer than that. It's demise started when analog scopes became a dead-end, and Tek has shown ever since that they never really 'got' digital scopes and would rather still make analog scopes.

Most of Tek's DSOs have been pretty lackluster, often hampered by weird design decisions and a slow architecture, and that includes the TDS700 Series. There were some bright spots, though, such as the TDS200 (which introduced the lunchbox format, allthough they weren't the only ones, Iwatsu had a similar scope back then which was rebaded by LeCroy), or the TDS3000 which could be battery operated. Still, both scopes were painfully slow, and aside from the form factor or battery didn't offer much over scopes from other brands. And the fact that Tek carried both well into the 2000's is testament to the general lack of innovation when it comes to scopes.

The really sad part is that they still don't seem to understand the DSO market, even after escaping the cust-cutting culture of Danaher, and I wonder how long they can afford to bleed market share while mostly relying on a brand name that was great some 30 years ago.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 09:33:08 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf