Author Topic: Looking for an alternative for sigrok  (Read 2290 times)

Offline cedric!Topic starter

• Contributor
Looking for an alternative for sigrok
« on: May 28, 2023, 03:05:22 am »
Hi All,

I'm looking for an alternative for sigrok. I like sigrok for many reasons:
+Open source / multiplatform / pretty stable
+works with many logic analyses / scopes / multimeters / mixed signal devices
+Has a lot of protocol decoders
+Has both support for both analog and digital signals
+Has math channels that can use analog, digital and other math channels as input.
+Math channels can be used as digital inputs for the protocol decoders

Sigrok also has some downsides for me:
-The output of the protocol decoders cannot be used as input for the math channels.
-Math channels don't have persistent memory, so implementing a function that looks for the maximum of the last 1000 samples is very expensive, as each output point has to do the entire calculation again.
-On the wiki, the Saleae Logic Pro 16 logic analyzer is advertised as working with analog, witch is not yet the case. I did not yet report this on the devel mailing list.
-My request for write access to the wiki was ignored, both on IRC and on the devel mailing list.
-The github.com read-only mirrors are not in sync with the sigrok.org git repositories. My report about this has been ignored
-My request for adding sigrok-pico as a Work in progress / planned device has been ignored
-My request for adding a note about the sigrok bugtracker on the FAQ and the Developers pages on the wiki has been ignored.
-My question on howto deal with non-constant sample rates in sigrok has been ignored.

So overall, Sigrok a fantastic project with a lot of potential that moves in the right direction, but it looks like the project doesn't have a lot of active developers.

Therefore I'm looking for an alternative project, that is more active, and can do some / most of the things Sigrok is capable of.

Kind regards,
Cedric
[edit: typo]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 03:24:16 am by cedric! »

Offline deepfryed

• Supporter
Re: Looking for an alternative for sigrok
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 11:17:53 pm »
I'm looking for an alternative project, that is more active, and can do some / most of the things Sigrok is capable of.

I don't think there is one that comes even close. It's a big project with few developers that sporadically work on their own time and I don't think big companies have any incentive to financially support the work.

I have some issues getting my DMM working with sigrok, I've decided to spend a few weekends debugging and send them patches. Best way to contribute back.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, alm, pdenisowski, horo

Offline larsdenmark

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 01:08:06 pm »
Salea is the only one that comes to mind.

It has analog measurements mentioned here:
https://support.saleae.com/user-guide/using-logic/capture-settings

The last time I used my Salea it seemed to work.

Offline raleighlittles

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 06:40:33 am »
I think Sigrok is now in feature-freeze mode as well. Their last stable release was in 2019, and they're no longer distributing downloads.

I tried to download the sigrok-cli (64-bit) for Linux earlier and the website wasn't available: https://sigrok.org/wiki/Downloads

----

An alternative to Sigrok depends ultimately on which devices you would've used Sigrok for. Like others have said, for Logic Analyzers, Salae might be a good alternative. Depending on the model of LA you have, KingstVis might be an option too.

For oscilloscopes, OpenHantek6022 might work: https://github.com/OpenHantek/OpenHantek6022

And for oscilloscopes and power supplies with a network connection, I've been liking `lxi-tools` https://github.com/lxi-tools/lxi-tools

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 08:36:43 am »
I think Sigrok is now in feature-freeze mode as well. Their last stable release was in 2019, and they're no longer distributing downloads.
Looking at git there has been very recent activity, so I don't see evidence of a feature freeze. They do write on the download page that the nightly builds are broken, and obviously they haven't done a release in a long time.

This might be indicative that the person with dev ops skills doesn't have time, but not of a lack of development.

Offline cedric!Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2024, 07:14:25 pm »
I have found a promising new project that one day might replace Sigrok:

https://github.com/gusmanb/logicanalyzer/wiki/06---The-LogicAnalyzer-program

For now it only has 3 protocol decoders, no stacked decoders, and it supports only digital signals coming from a rp2040 as capture device, but maybe it will grow.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2024, 02:34:40 am »
I have found a promising new project that one day might replace Sigrok:

https://github.com/gusmanb/logicanalyzer/wiki/06---The-LogicAnalyzer-program

For now it only has 3 protocol decoders, no stacked decoders, and it supports only digital signals coming from a rp2040 as capture device, but maybe it will grow.

That is a major cool project!
- Thanks for posting.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2024, 02:39:59 am »
Hi All,

I'm looking for an alternative for sigrok. I like sigrok for many reasons:
+Open source / multiplatform / pretty stable
+works with many logic analyses / scopes / multimeters / mixed signal devices
+Has a lot of protocol decoders
+Has both support for both analog and digital signals
+Has math channels that can use analog, digital and other math channels as input.
+Math channels can be used as digital inputs for the protocol decoders

Sigrok also has some downsides for me:
-The output of the protocol decoders cannot be used as input for the math channels.
-Math channels don't have persistent memory, so implementing a function that looks for the maximum of the last 1000 samples is very expensive, as each output point has to do the entire calculation again.
-On the wiki, the Saleae Logic Pro 16 logic analyzer is advertised as working with analog, witch is not yet the case. I did not yet report this on the devel mailing list.
-My request for write access to the wiki was ignored, both on IRC and on the devel mailing list.
-The github.com read-only mirrors are not in sync with the sigrok.org git repositories. My report about this has been ignored
-My request for adding sigrok-pico as a Work in progress / planned device has been ignored
-My request for adding a note about the sigrok bugtracker on the FAQ and the Developers pages on the wiki has been ignored.
-My question on howto deal with non-constant sample rates in sigrok has been ignored.

So overall, Sigrok a fantastic project with a lot of potential that moves in the right direction, but it looks like the project doesn't have a lot of active developers.

Therefore I'm looking for an alternative project, that is more active, and can do some / most of the things Sigrok is capable of.

Kind regards,
Cedric
[edit: typo]

Not sure how much you are considering using an oscilloscope vs a standalone logic analyzer but this project seems to be gaining some traction especially for various Siglent and Rigol scopes.  Might provide some renewed interest in Sigrok PulseView.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-sigrokpulseview-hardware-support-(siglent-sds-hd-rigol-dho800-)/

Offline sslupsky

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 06:22:18 pm »
ngscopeclient looks interesting though it does not appear to support as many instruments as sigrok does:

https://www.ngscopeclient.org

The following users thanked this post: fredo_

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 07:07:13 pm »
Ngscopeclient specifically avoids sharing code with sigrok because they wanted a more commercially-friendly licence. To me, that's a bit of a shame - but it does mean it can link with devices like Saleae that don't document a wire protocol but do offer an API.  Since manufacturers dislike sharing protocols and prefer to ship APIs - albeit, perhaps for a limited choice of OSs - which should make a lot more accessible.

In addition, there's now a sigrok bridge which allows access to some sigrok-supported devices without linking. I don't know whether it's universal or just supports selected devices.

It took me ages to get it to work as it needs a moderately modern video card and I'm rather parsimonious over fancy video (I'm not a gamer). It requires Vulkan 1.3  support - but this is now available in quite moderate devices including some on-chip video. I bought a slightly less old Radeon 580 card for my linux PC and have also had it running on a raspberry pi 4 with some trivial corrections. I would love to be able to build a self-contained open-source oscilloscope/LA.

What I find particularly interesting is that it can handle multiple acquisition devices and sync them if they have a common pin. This should make it possible to use multiple cheap USB analysers if you occasionally want extra width.

And, as alm says, there has been some activity recently on Sigrok. I think the main maintainers burnt out leaving only one guy who found himself unable to keep up with or get anybody to help review incoming submissions. So if there's a renewed interest, the more help they can get, the better. I hate to see  closed-source windows-only suites being offered to do, separately, oscilloscope or meter drivers. It's such a waste of effort and  isn't supportable in the long run by a single developer so they'll just fade out too, or need to be paid or, at best, be restricted to a small number of devices. The need for continuous windows  or instrument updates is just too much work for one keen developer.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:24:30 pm by artag »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, fredo_

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf