Author Topic: New Episode:OWON Show #3 XDS 12-bits resolution  (Read 17133 times)

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: New Episode:OWON Show #3 XDS 12-bits resolution
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2016, 07:27:59 pm »
Simon, I apologise. Some of the phrasing of my previous post was unnecessary, I don't know why, but your posts seem to bring out the worst in me, I never have a problem normally  :-//.

The core message of my post still stands however.
Best Regards, Chris

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2016, 07:33:04 pm »
Oh I never take offence.

They spent extra on a bigger screen when they could have put some of that money into a more robust power supply. the whole complicatd scope is fine but for the power supply the simplest bit, as well the PC software was always crap and there have been no updates. I am afraid that owon are a hit and run anufacturer. They don't seem to care about their products after the sale, as long as they get sold. But it is true that you get what you pay for and I was aware that it was a gamble in order to get my 200MHz on the cheap.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2016, 07:39:54 pm »
The aliasing is also terrible,
In sample mode you'll get aliasing on every digital oscilloscope or are the anti-aliasing filters on the Owon inadequate?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2016, 07:49:57 pm »
Oh I never take offence.

They spent extra on a bigger screen when they could have put some of that money into a more robust power supply. the whole complicatd scope is fine but for the power supply the simplest bit, as well the PC software was always crap and there have been no updates. I am afraid that owon are a hit and run anufacturer. They don't seem to care about their products after the sale, as long as they get sold. But it is true that you get what you pay for and I was aware that it was a gamble in order to get my 200MHz on the cheap.

That's lucky then.  ;D

However you're still falling into the trap of gross generalisations. You haven't referenced a particular model or number of samples tested. Your PSU failure may well have been a one-off (rf-loop's figures would tend to support that). Whichever model you had a problem with, it isn't rational to extrapolate that to an entire range of products. I have a USB model, even though its sample rate is low I've had zero problems with aliasing when used appropriately, the PC software is fine, I found a bug, reported it, they fixed it, sent me a test copy to verify and then rolled out a formal update...and they have released further updates since.

You've had a bad experience, I've had a good experience. It makes no sense for either of us to extrapolate that to every model in a manufacturer's output (I'm sure the odd one is probably cr*p). Each model, from whichever manufacturer needs to be researched before proceeding with a purchase.
Best Regards, Chris

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2016, 07:50:57 pm »
In sample mode you'll get aliasing on every digital oscilloscope or are the anti-aliasing filters on the Owon inadequate?

inadequate ? probably non existent. I don't know if they are hardware or software but that will have saved some money either way

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2016, 07:52:54 pm »

You've had a bad experience, I've had a good experience. It makes no sense for either of us to extrapolate that to every model in a manufacturer's output (I'm sure the odd one is probably cr*p). Each model, from whichever manufacturer needs to be researched before proceeding with a purchase.

that is also true, but they had plenty of opportunity to fix the problems, I did not exactly buy it the day it came out. I asked about firmware upgrades and they said no.

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2016, 07:56:50 pm »
Your mileage may vary. Again you had a problem with a specific model.

Edit: They were quite efficient in fixing the S/W for my model.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:58:50 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2016, 08:28:25 pm »
inadequate ? probably non existent. I don't know if they are hardware or software but that will have saved some money either way
Anti-aliasing filters are always in hardware but if you are using a DSO in sample mode and use a low enough samplerate you will get aliasing. This is true for every DSO whether you spend an amount of money expressed in 3, 4, 5 or even more digits on it. You cannot change the laws of physics. Things get hairy if the peak-detect mode on a scope isn't working properly because then you are always stuck with aliasing problems.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2016, 09:01:46 pm »
Oh I never take offence..........

and I was aware that it was a gamble in order to get my 200MHz on the cheap.
:palm:
Well I hope you learnt your lesson by not having the support of a local dealer.
Many make that mistake, but for you to go on and on.......well if you had local support and it was fixed promptly you'd have little to say but share your experience with us.

You gambled and you lost.

Dealer have names for those like you.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf