Author Topic: New 12bit 500MHz Micsig scope WITH knobs [Mic-OPI] MHO5004-12bit / MDO5004-8bit  (Read 53596 times)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Have you asked them about their firmware crashing when used with their software?   Odd these wouldn't play well together. 

I think we are talking about two different things for the X-Y plots.   I am more concerned with how slow the screen appears to be updating, not how fast the scope is able to collect the data.  Some of those Siglents appear very fast.   I was hoping when Dave had posted about a standard method, he would have pulled out that high speed camera they sent him for a review and put it to use.   My old scope presents new data to the LCD at about 30Hz.   Even if I do nothing else (math all off) and capture only 20 data points, its still 30Hz.   Not good but your scope looks much slower which is why I wondered about the memory depth.   

So, is your case plastic or metal as you thought?   

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,

I have not yet reported the crashes.
When downloading the PC software, it says: "Support ATO/TO/STO Series" and is dated 17.8.2023. As far as I know, the MHO3 did not yet exist.

The video gives a good impression of what I saw on the screen.
But maybe there are better settings, but it's probably not the triggering.  Normal trigger on CH2 with level 0 V. Probably 1.8 MSa and 150 MSa/s was set.

I have the impression that the casing is made of metal.

Best regards
egonotto
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 01:16:32 am by egonotto »

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,

to compare (for MHO3 data look at March 22, 2024, 04:27:32 am) the noise behavior with the Siglent SDS3034X HD.

Best regards
egonotto

PS:

MHO3                     SDS3034X HD
1mV 20 MHz          33 uV                       43 uV
1mV 350 MHZ        74 uV                       76 uV
1V 20 MHz               3 mV                        3.7 mV
1V 350 MHz             9,2 mV                     3,9 mV
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 11:57:29 pm by egonotto »

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Apart from the last measured value, it should not be overlooked that the 3000X HD has a 1Ghz frontend, with corresponding "consequences" independent of the (artificial) bandwidth filter, i.e. the higher the (actual) bandwidth, the higher the noise.
(Hence the reduced ENOB)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
Finally, Micsig included support for "fine" vertical scale in MDO/MHO series. Excerpt from manual
Support vertical scale fine-adjustment
Does it work fine (no pun intended ;))? And does it have fine horizontal scale as well?

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,

when I wanted to answer the question, I noticed an error in channel 1. At exactly 500 mV/div it had a large offset error. After resetting the system, the error was gone. The fine adjustment of the vertical sensitivity works well.

I have not found a fine horizontal scale.

Best regards
egonotto
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 05:15:24 pm by egonotto »

The following users thanked this post: electr_peter, Martin72

Online DaneLawTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
egonotto@

What's your view so far, do you like your MHO3?
Where is the -3db on the MHO3-250MHz.?
I would guess the hardware is the same between MHO3-250/350/500 models, and it's primarily in sw its cribbled as its only the bandwidth that differs (as far as I can tell) everything else stays equal..

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, david300m

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,

My impression is as follows:

The MHO3 is still very young, which means that the software is not yet fully developed. The hardware is very good.
The instructions are not yet good either. For example, it took me a very long time to establish a connection with the PC via USB. I couldn't find which USB socket to use in the manual. There is no USB device socket. You have to use the USB-C socket and you need a suitable cable, which is not supplied. And many cables do not work.

I don't understand why the trigger out doesn't have a BNC socket.

When I entered a license code, the bandwidth of my device was set to 0 MHz. This meant that the filters no longer worked. The bandwidth of my device was over 500 MHz and interference signals could be seen in the 1 mv/div range.
I then contacted Micsig by e-mail. Micsig was very helpful and friendly. They were able to solve the problem by giving me a new firmware version and a new bandwidth license.
Therefore, I suspect that the hardware of the devices is the same, and the bandwidth is set by software.

I then criticized the update rate and Micsig created a new firmware version with a much better update rate.

The PC software is not yet made for the MHO3. When I connect the MHO3 to the PC software, the MHO3 sometimes crashes. The PC software also crashes sometimes. However, I suspect that there will be a new PC software that supports the MHO3 at some point.

I recently received the programming manual in English.

The memory is very large. With segmented memory you have far more memory than the two times 360 Mpts.
The transfer of data from the MHO3 to the PC is very fast. I have achieved around 100 MB/s with FTP.
Unfortunately, I have not yet managed to transfer the data from a connected USB stick to the PC. that would be nice.
The free internal flash memory is over 20 GB.

I think you could get even more out of the good hardware. More and more powerful math channels, larger FFT. Hires or Eres smoothing when sampling.

The bandwidth is quite accurate. There is no such big addition as with Siglent.  The MHO3-2504 has almost exactly 250 MHz bandwidth and the MHO3-3504 has almost exactly 350 MHz bandwidth.

So my overall impression is very good. I am glad that I bought the MHO3.

Best regards
egonotto

PS: I forgot to mention the variable filters, which are very nice to have.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 12:10:31 am by egonotto »

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, DaneLaw, Martin72

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,

here are a few measurements with the MHO3 with filter and 50 Ohm input.
MHO3__20MHz.jpg is made with the fast 20 MHz filter, the other pictures are made with the variable filter.
MHO3_3MHz_2mV.jpg is comparable with the +-10 mV setting of the PicoScope 4262, which only has a bandwidth of 3 MHz in this setting.

Best regards
egonotto

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,

to compare (for MHO3 data look at March 22, 2024, 04:27:32 am and for SDS3034X HD data look at May 25, 2024) the noise behavior with the Siglent SDS3034X HD and SDS2104X HD (180 MHz).
The SDS2104X HD (180 MHz) is surprisingly much worse than the SDS3034X HD (420 MHz)
My SDS2104X HD seems to be about 5 to 15% worse in terms of noise than the device from 2N3055.

Best regards
egonotto

PS:

MHO3          SDS2104X HD       SDS3034X HD
1mV 20 MHz          33 uV                44 uV                   43 uV
1mV 350 MHZ        74 uV              101 uV                   76 uV
1V 20 MHz               3 mV              9.6 mV                 3.7 mV
1V 350 MHz             9,2 mV           13.1 mV                3,9 mV
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 09:04:43 am by egonotto »

The following users thanked this post: exe

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo