Author Topic: RTO2000 RAM Artifacts  (Read 1543 times)

Offline jjoonathanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: RTO2000 RAM Artifacts
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2024, 11:56:54 pm »
Biggest technical lessons to fall out of this:

* RTO club is 0/2 on reflows but 8/9 on reballs. I would have expected reflows to be less risky than reballs, especially when done by someone without prior experience, but the numbers argue heavily (as heavily as they can with small N) for the opposite.

* Check the resistances of your main power rails before you apply power. Write them down before your reflow/reball and check them afterwards. Save yourself some trouble  ;)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: RTO2000 RAM Artifacts
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2024, 10:14:59 am »
Biggest technical lessons to fall out of this:

* RTO club is 0/2 on reflows but 8/9 on reballs. I would have expected reflows to be less risky than reballs, especially when done by someone without prior experience, but the numbers argue heavily (as heavily as they can with small N) for the opposite.
To be honest I wouldn't have gone for reballing but just apply liquid flux and do the reflow. After all, there is enough solder present already. I have had some successes with reflowing BGAs this way. I do the heating in stages where I let the solvent evaporate from the flux first and then crank up the heat (hot air) quickly to bring the board and component over the melting temperature of the solder.

However, it is nice you managed to get a new mainboard without flattening your wallet any further.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 10:18:49 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf