Author Topic: New EEVblog BM786 Multimeter  (Read 153055 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: New EEVblog BM786 Multimeter
« Reply #550 on: December 30, 2021, 07:58:30 am »
I was convinced to find inside an autographed photo with dedication .... :-DD  (suggestion for Dave:  this could be a new gadget to include to increase the sales...  8) )

Sign the back of it for $10 extra?

Offline N0NB

• Contributor
  • Amateur radio op; electronics dabbler
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #551 on: December 30, 2021, 05:35:41 pm »
Oh boy.  I think my meter has been quarantined.
From the DHL site:

Shipment is on hold
December, 29 2021 23:00 Local time | KANSAS CITY, MO - USA

Further Detail
DHL cannot move the shipment or attempt delivery due to a local issue or restrictions imposed by the regulatory authorities.
Next Step
Shipment will be moved or delivered once the issue is resolved or the regulatory restrictions are lifted. Please continue to monitor the progress online.

:palm:

Maybe it'll show up as a New Years present.   :-DD

- Nate

The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true.

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #552 on: December 30, 2021, 10:32:40 pm »
Oh boy.  I think my meter has been quarantined.
From the DHL site:

Shipment is on hold
December, 29 2021 23:00 Local time | KANSAS CITY, MO - USA
Further Detail
DHL cannot move the shipment or attempt delivery due to a local issue or restrictions imposed by the regulatory authorities.
Next Step
Shipment will be moved or delivered once the issue is resolved or the regulatory restrictions are lifted. Please continue to monitor the progress online.

Never had US issues before, must be very local.

Offline N0NB

• Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #553 on: December 31, 2021, 12:21:51 am »
Well, I got to the mailbox this afternoon and there was the bright yellow package.  Indeed is was the new BM786!   :-+

Apparently once DHL handed it off to USPS the communication stopped.  It got here a day late, but better than never.

Thanks, Dave.

:-DMM

As an aside all of our mail goes to Kansas City to be sorted (about 120 miles away) so it can take a week or more for a letter or parcel to arrive at a destination even a short distance away.  This is to improve efficiency.   :palm:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 12:23:49 am by N0NB »
- Nate

The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #554 on: December 31, 2021, 12:38:02 am »
Apparently once DHL handed it off to USPS the communication stopped.  It got here a day late, but better than never.

It shouldn't get handed off to USPS, it's a door-door courier service.

Offline N0NB

• Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #555 on: December 31, 2021, 01:18:42 am »

At one time I recall DHL vans running in our area but I also recall that some years ago DHL announced that they were scaling back delivery operations in the US.  Some years back another parcel was received via DHL to USPS as a hand-off that arrived from eastern Europe in about three days, but that was well before the annual holiday shipping period and other recent world events.

Regardless, it is a quality meter at a good price.  It's all good.

BTW, this is the second Brymen meter I have purchased.  The first is a Greenlee branded DM-820A.  I like it very much and it will serve as the meter for outside duty around the farm while the BM786 is going to primarily be a bench fixture.
- Nate

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #556 on: December 31, 2021, 01:27:33 am »

What is the exact name of the DHL service you are using?  They use the USPS for last-mile delivery in many US areas except for certain (expensive) express services.  DHL left the US domestic market over a decade ago, so they have very little domestic presence and a very small fleet of their own.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #557 on: December 31, 2021, 01:29:12 am »

:-DD
Yep door2door if you live in a city otherwise DHL/FedEx/Couriers are just lazy bastards that collect the big fees then hands it over to the local postie for last mile delivery if it's even just a little bit outta their way.

They might even offer a remote address service for an addition cost and the naive might cough up the addition fee and still get last mile postie deliveries.  :--
It's a worldwide racket .............   
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #558 on: December 31, 2021, 01:50:57 am »
What is the exact name of the DHL service you are using?  They use the USPS for last-mile delivery in many US areas except for certain (expensive) express services.  DHL left the US domestic market over a decade ago, so they have very little domestic presence and a very small fleet of their own.

DHL Express courier door-door service only. I used to offer DHL eCommerce which does get handed to the local postal service in each country, but there were too many issues and you often lose the tracking once it's handed over. Even DHL themslves pleaded with me to ditch their own eCommerce service and offered me full Express service rate too good to refuse.
I was not allowd to use DHL branded packaging for eCommerce because they don't have full control over the routes, they don't want to bad reputation hit from things they don't control.
I get hardly any complaints about US shipments.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 01:53:31 am by EEVblog »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #559 on: December 31, 2021, 01:52:27 am »
:-DD
Yep door2door if you live in a city otherwise DHL/FedEx/Couriers are just lazy bastards that collect the big fees then hands it over to the local postie for last mile delivery if it's even just a little bit outta their way.
They might even offer a remote address service for an addition cost and the naive might cough up the addition fee and still get last mile postie deliveries.  :--

Yes, I occasionally get charegd a "remote area fee" in various countries. I have to just have to absord that loss, as it's not in the calculation breakdown.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #560 on: December 31, 2021, 02:02:34 am »
DHL Express courier door-door service only.

I don't see that service by name, I see DHL Parcel International Standard and DHL Parcel International Direct--their top service according to their website.  From the 'Direct' description:

Product details

Transit times typically between 4-6 working days
Delivery through preferred local partners
End-to-end tracking with delivery confirmation
Direct injection into destination country or region

DHL simply lacks the capacity to deliver themselves through most of the US.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #561 on: December 31, 2021, 02:52:47 am »
No issues with DHL in my rural area.  They use a contracted courier, but I can still schedule pickups for returns, for example.  Recent DHL deliveries have been from Dave, Welectron and RockAuto.  I've found DHL to be competitive with other services, although Welectron's shipments appear to be subsidized.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #562 on: December 31, 2021, 02:53:35 am »
DHL Express courier door-door service only.

I don't see that service by name, I see DHL Parcel International Standard and DHL Parcel International Direct--their top service according to their website.  From the 'Direct' description:

Product details
Transit times typically between 4-6 working days
Delivery through preferred local partners
End-to-end tracking with delivery confirmation
Direct injection into destination country or region

DHL simply lacks the capacity to deliver themselves through most of the US.

They would do deals for a higher priced priority express service with local providers in countries where they don't have a major prescence. It's going to be WAY better than the eCommerce system that uses the lower cost normal local postal service. eCommerce wasn't that great in the US, Express has been vastly better.
Would be the equivalent in Australia of using the AusPost Express vs Regular service, but we have door-door DHL service here. Although my last batch of meters through DHL came via an independent guy with a van instead of my usual DHL guy.
The point with the Express service is that they will use higher priced prioritised services, and will guarantee the times and tracking. Any courier they use will have a DHL tracking scanner with them and a direct link to the system. With DHL eCommerce service the parcel literally gets tossed into the local postal service bins and the DHL tracking vanishes when it enters the country.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 02:58:55 am by EEVblog »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #563 on: December 31, 2021, 02:57:24 am »
No issues with DHL in my rural area.  They use a contracted courier, but I can still schedule pickups for returns, for example.  Recent DHL deliveries have been from Dave, Welectron and RockAuto.  I've found DHL to be competitive with other services, although Welectron's shipments appear to be subsidized.

I subsiside my DHL rates a bit. I make a small profit on New Zealand and the US, but most other coutries cost more than I charge.

Offline Kartika

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #564 on: January 06, 2022, 10:17:21 am »
Hi
How to upgrade ( fix ) voltage measuring problem on BM786
When is RF source present its not possible measure voltage. ( crazy )
with my old UT71A no any problem for the same request (in the same conditions). 

Offline Antrus

• Contributor
« Reply #565 on: January 06, 2022, 07:30:30 pm »
It is possible to remove a couple of unnecessary resistors and capacitors?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #566 on: January 06, 2022, 11:18:54 pm »
Hi
How to upgrade ( fix ) voltage measuring problem on BM786
When is RF source present its not possible measure voltage. ( crazy )
with my old UT71A no any problem for the same request (in the same conditions).

You'll have to be a lot more specific than that.

The following users thanked this post: Kartika

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #567 on: January 06, 2022, 11:19:31 pm »
It is possible to remove a couple of unnecessary resistors and capacitors?

What do you mean? Why?

Offline Meter Deter

• Contributor
« Reply #568 on: January 07, 2022, 07:11:02 pm »
im having a problem with meter. i keep getting false beeps, with continuity setting. when ever i am looking for GND.
this happen on three different boards so far.
i try switching probes. from probemaster to original probes . still get false beeps.
i never had this issue with a Amprobe AM-570 that got stolen.
or my cheap UNI-T UT61E that i replace for this BM786

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #569 on: January 07, 2022, 07:30:37 pm »
im having a problem with meter. i keep getting false beeps, with continuity setting. when ever i am looking for GND.
this happen on three different boards so far.
i try switching probes. from probemaster to original probes . still get false beeps.
i never had this issue with a Amprobe AM-570 that got stolen.
or my cheap UNI-T UT61E that i replace for this BM786
Probably caps charging.
Watch this and you'll see the odd beep while Defpom is probing the PCB.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #570 on: January 07, 2022, 11:40:53 pm »
I had this on an ultra-cheap Richmeters RM102Pro (Aneng 113D). It pissed me off.

With Brymen, it might be a random issue, although having a fellow youtuber go through this as well is concerning. Perhaps it is a variability of part tolerances?
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #571 on: January 08, 2022, 06:32:15 am »
I had this on an ultra-cheap Richmeters RM102Pro (Aneng 113D). It pissed me off.
With Brymen, it might be a random issue, although having a fellow youtuber go through this as well is concerning. Perhaps it is a variability of part tolerances?

The Brymen is a fast responding meter, and there is always variability in the detection threshold between meters. No two model meters will be idential here is you are dealing with capacitive loads.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #572 on: January 08, 2022, 04:38:04 pm »

The Brymen is a fast responding meter, and there is always variability in the detection threshold between meters. No two model meters will be idential here is you are dealing with capacitive loads.
While I agree with the premise, I can't shake the feeling that something is amiss if this should be considered a normal behaviour of the BM78x series. I have been through many multimeters of several brands and the RM102Pro was the only one that gave me random beeps that I can recall. And I have used and tested many crap and excellent models/brands.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Meter Deter

• Contributor
« Reply #573 on: January 08, 2022, 10:30:49 pm »
there is nothing wrong with the 3 different boards i tested this meter on. . im not fixing damaged board. i am looking for Pinouts to Read MCU. on Boards.

where do i get support for BM786??

the false beeps are very annoying .

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #574 on: January 09, 2022, 04:03:27 am »

While I agree with the premise, I can't shake the feeling that something is amiss if this should be considered a normal behaviour of the BM78x series. I have been through many multimeters of several brands and the RM102Pro was the only one that gave me random beeps that I can recall. And I have used and tested many crap and excellent models/brands.

There is no way this can be verified without proper testing under controlled repeatable conditions.
I'm not saying it's not a thing, but no one else has reported this, and I am not in a position to test this at present.
Do you have the BM786 and are getting the same problem?
Also, and issue on the Bm786 will almost certainly be present on the other models in that series.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 04:05:47 am by EEVblog »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf