Author Topic: New cheapo AC/DC mini clamp meter: BSIDE ACM91  (Read 9464 times)

Offline nidlaXTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
New cheapo AC/DC mini clamp meter: BSIDE ACM91
« on: April 11, 2018, 09:32:51 am »
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bside-ACM91-TRMS-AC-DC-Clamp-Meter-Auto-Ranging-6000-Counts-0-001A-Current-Frequency-Temperature/32856707669.html

6000 counts
1mA on the 6A DC clamp range
0.1uA on the 200uA DC terminal range

It's got all the standard goodies like NCV and low impedance mode, plus it can do temperature as well. Could this be better than the venerable UT210E?

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New cheapo AC/DC mini clamp meter: BSIDE ACM91
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 12:28:25 pm »
Minimum DC / AC Current: 1mA by jaws

Offline Maxlor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 02:30:39 pm »
Looks rather similar in price and specs to the UT210E when it comes to the clamp. I don't really care about the other features in such a meter, so whatever.

Usability-wise, note that the zero command appears to be a secondary function on its buttons, that might be slightly annoying.

Offline icpart

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 01:36:17 pm »
I ordered one of these clamp meters today because I want to use it for my car. When I received it maybe I will made little review teardown of it.

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline icpart

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 02:23:09 pm »
I ordered one of these clamp meters today because I want to use it for my car. When I received it maybe I will made little review teardown of it.
Today received mine clamp meter. There was a problem with on off function also with strange working behaviour with auto change of display. So I opened it and there was little messy soldering flux so I cleaned up and now is all fine. Also i find here in forum that lygte-info is posted nice review of that meter:
https://lygte-info.dk/review/DMMBSide%20ACM91%20UK.html

The following users thanked this post: wilfred, thm_w, edavid, dymbo

Offline jorgemef

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 09:06:39 am »
Hello,

I am after a clamp meter for DC and AC mainly for car alternator diagnosing and eventually other current works. Also like the mains tracking through the walls.
Don't need much more the other functions as I have other multi-meters including ANENG 860B+ that does all other stuff.
Which one is better for these purposes? Bside ACM91 or UNI UT210E? Price range is similar. Any other suggestion on this price range or bellow?

Thanks,
Jorge

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 05:28:51 am »
I know this thread is old.  I received my ACM91 in the last few days.  I'll leave my quick impression for those thinking about getting this meter.

Since my UT61E is doesn't fit in my pocket, I need to replace my dead 4000 count Radio Shack pocket meter.  I want the temperature, so I went with this one over the UT210E.

I ordered the ACM91 directly from BSIDE on AliEpxress and selected ship-from as USA.  I was prepared for 2week+ wait but it came within 48 hours in an Amazon Prime package.  Everything shown on the photo was there, including the not very well written user guide.  LoZ voltage measurement and regular voltage measurement has the same input impedence according to the user guide, which would kind of defeat the purpose of LoZ.  So I am sure that must be a typo/error in the user guide.

Compared to known reference values on my DMM Check Plus, 5.000V, 1mA current, and resisters (100ohm, 1K, 10K, 100K) are spot on or within +- 1 of last digit displayed except for AC.  My 4.999V AC is measured as 4.946V to 4.957V, but frequency is spot on at 99.99Hz as my reference.  For the 1mA (AC or DC), it is the last digit shown and it was 0.001A which is same as reference source.

The meter is slow - it seem to take well over a second (will measure if interested) to show my resister values.  Clamp measurement of current is difficult to judge since the position and orientation all affected the value.  I can easily get +-20% variation (or higher) depending on orientation.  I have to do more experimentation with that and temperature measurement.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 05:32:14 am by Rick Law »

The following users thanked this post: genghisnico13, Trader

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 05:45:07 pm »
I know this thread is old.  I received my ACM91 in the last few days.  I'll leave my quick impression for those thinking about getting this meter.

Since my UT61E is doesn't fit in my pocket, I need to replace my dead 4000 count Radio Shack pocket meter.  I want the temperature, so I went with this one over the UT210E.

I ordered the ACM91 directly from BSIDE on AliEpxress and selected ship-from as USA.  I was prepared for 2week+ wait but it came within 48 hours in an Amazon Prime package.  Everything shown on the photo was there, including the not very well written user guide.  LoZ voltage measurement and regular voltage measurement has the same input impedence according to the user guide, which would kind of defeat the purpose of LoZ.  So I am sure that must be a typo/error in the user guide.

Compared to known reference values on my DMM Check Plus, 5.000V, 1mA current, and resisters (100ohm, 1K, 10K, 100K) are spot on or within +- 1 of last digit displayed except for AC.  My 4.999V AC is measured as 4.946V to 4.957V, but frequency is spot on at 99.99Hz as my reference.  For the 1mA (AC or DC), it is the last digit shown and it was 0.001A which is same as reference source.

The meter is slow - it seem to take well over a second (will measure if interested) to show my resister values.  Clamp measurement of current is difficult to judge since the position and orientation all affected the value.  I can easily get +-20% variation (or higher) depending on orientation.  I have to do more experimentation with that and temperature measurement.

Very nice. How would you rate it compared with UT210E? Thanks.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 05:21:00 pm »

Very nice. How would you rate it compared with UT210E? Thanks.

I can't directly compare the ACM91 to the UT201E -- since I don't own a UT201E.   However, if you have a specific question about the ACM91, I am happy to answer that.

Now that I have used the meter for a while (mostly for watching Car-Battery charger current and voltage), I still go with what I have posted in the earlier reply -- AOK but a bit slow.

If I must rate this meter, I have to go with "no regret with getting it."

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline Brian of Romsey

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 05:02:11 am »
I can't say I think much of the PCB design.  Quite poor in a lot of places.  Obviously executed by someone who doesn't understand the purpose of thermal relief splines, as evidenced by having them on vias and ground planes where the holes aren't being soldered.  Poor layout of the two PTCs at the input and the crowding forced by poor positioning of R7A & R7B.  The positioning of the crystal Y1 also leaves a lot to be desired.

The photographs also indicate a very poor assembly and soldering process in the factory if this specimen is anything to go by.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf