Author Topic: old HP logic analyzer or modern USB logic analyzer?  (Read 3465 times)

Offline ice595Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
old HP logic analyzer or modern USB logic analyzer?
« on: June 30, 2014, 03:38:33 pm »
Both the old HP logic analyzer and modern USB logic analyzers cost around $150-200 USD, what are the main differences besides protocol support and bandwidth?

Im currently using my dual channel DSO as a crude logic analyzer right now but I need more channels.
Should I buy the USB logic analyzers for their protocol support or the bench top HP logic analyzer which looks cooler  8)
I probably won't get the old HP logic analyzers that use an internal hard drive as it might die very soon.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Re: old HP logic analyzer or modern USB logic analyzer?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:50:10 pm »
Dunno about HP, but Tek's TLA have multiple channels with plenty of memories.
But new USB Saleae Pro are really nice :);

Benefit of USB LA is that they are small and easy to use, which covers 99% of needs of usual real-life applications.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:01:45 pm »
The 'real' logic analyzers will give you richer triggering. I am happy with the Saleae 8 channel.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 06:36:52 pm »
How about a mixed signal oscilloscope?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline calin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 06:50:31 pm »
I have an old HP beast and an "el cheapo" china Saleae clone somone gave it to me as a sample of "china made crap". Beleive it or not I find my self using the clone more than the old HP beast. True the HP has more triggering options, more speed etc but like someone said above me .. the USB one is enough for 99% of the work if you work with protocols like SPI, I2C , etc which are not  that high speed that crappy toy will do.

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 07:27:09 pm »
If you don't need 192 channels and very complex triggering, you can probably live with the USB.  If it's fast enough for what you're doing, it will cover almost all of your requirements.

You can also find things like the HP 54620a I just picked up for $50.  16 channels and 500 MHz acquisition.  No serial protocols, of course, and not expandable, but it covers a lot of smaller projects.  I actually bought it to get the cable for my 54645d MSO. 

I have a 16500b mainframe loaded out, but I don't bother hauling it out if I can make do with 8 or 16 channels.  They are fun toys to play with and with their programmatic ability, there's not much of a limit to what you can do with them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf