Author Topic: Multimeter: Gossen or Fluke?  (Read 21090 times)

Offline WackyGerman

• Regular Contributor
Re: Multimeter: Gossen or Fluke?
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2016, 06:15:52 pm »
It s a good choice . I also have a Gossen . It s the Metrahit 29s . Unfortunately it doesn t have backlight but I am really happy with that  :-DMM

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2016, 07:01:19 pm »
I will get accused of being a shill again, but consider the Brymen BM869S. It is much less expensive and probably does anything you are considering. www.tme.eu has it and I am sure it will be much less than the Gossen. If you get the Gossen, we need a review!

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 07:09:16 pm »
Love the Gossen 29s. It is my default portable meter.

Offline WackyGerman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 07:27:36 pm »
Yes a brymen is a good cheap alternative . It is not as well built like a gossen but it has a really good bang per buck . I have the Greenlee DM 830A ( rebadged BM 829 ) and I like it very much . The continuity tester is damn f***ing loud and that is good when working in the field . You cannot loose the screws when open it for changing battery or fuses .It is heavy and built like a tank . The only con I found is the brightness of the display . Looks really dimm when you look from the top and with backlight on you cannot see anything any more . That s the Brymen blue backlight issue , well known here in the forum . You also can buy the DM 867S at www.welectron.com  . It s cheaper than TME . But I haven t had any experience with Welectron and customer service . TME has not a good reputation with customer service so in case of warranty it could be annoying

Offline NiaDebesisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2016, 07:46:04 pm »
I will get accused of being a shill again, but consider the Brymen BM869S. It is much less expensive and probably does anything you are considering. www.tme.eu has it and I am sure it will be much less than the Gossen. If you get the Gossen, we need a review!

I hope exhist in Italy Gossen, and yes, if i get the Gossen i will start immediately to write a review!

I have heard now the conitnuity test...and, yea its okay, a little bit slower but pretty good

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2016, 07:55:10 pm »
Hello NiaDebesis

If you don't mind, how much does the Gossen you intend to buy cost in your country?

How much is the Fluke 87V?

Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2016, 08:01:00 pm »
Hello NiaDebesis

If you don't mind, how much does the Gossen you intend to buy cost in your country?

Hi ^^
Fluke 87V 450 500€

Gossen Metrawatt Metrahit Tech 450 500

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2016, 08:47:25 pm »
What?? I have read 200Khz for the fluke...

The Fluke can measure frequencies (ie. Hz) up to 200kHz, not RMS voltage.

Hm...BAD for me..the tech is better than the Fluke in all the mesuraments...yes for slightly but better..and have trms up to 200kHz... and before the post will be closed..the tech is affidable, accurated..to work in a electronics lab no?
According to Gossen's page, the Metrahit Tech has a bandwidth of 10kHz for TRMS measurements.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2016, 09:19:06 pm »
Quote from: Fungus link=topic=76765.msg1062075#msg1062075 pdate=1478100192

Hm...BAD for me..the tech is better than the Fluke in all the mesuraments...yes for slightly but better..and have trms up to 200kHz... and before the post will be closed..the tech is affidable, accurated..to work in a electronics lab no?
According to Gossen's page, the Metrahit Tech has a bandwidth of 10kHz for TRMS measurements.

And the Fluke in trms?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2016, 09:27:13 pm »

And the Fluke in trms?
20kHz according to them.

Since we are at it, please take a look at Wytnucls' excellent multimeter comparison spreadsheet. You will find some interesting data there.

BTW, I don't have a BM869S but it has great reputation around here at a lower cost. I have a BM857 from the same brand that is extremely well built, pretty accurate and it has great features. It is worth taking a look at its specifications and features.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2016, 09:28:12 pm »
The Fluke 87V has a bandwidth of up to 20kHz with varying degrees of accuracy. The same is true for the Brymen BM869S, but the BM869S also can go up to 100kHz. The BM869S is 200 euro at www.tme.eu and the Fluke is 475 euro.

Offline Frost

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2016, 09:52:15 pm »
I own hand multimeters from both companies.
The 289 from Fluke and a Gossen MetraHit 28S
But the Gossen is my prefred mulitmeter I use it most of the time.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2016, 09:55:00 pm »

And the Fluke in trms?
20kHz according to them.

Since we are at it, please take a look at Wytnucls' excellent multimeter comparison spreadsheet. You will find some interesting data there.

BTW, I don't have a BM869S but it has great reputation around here at a lower cost. I have a BM857 from the same brand that is extremely well built, pretty accurate and it has great features. It is worth taking a look at its specifications and features.

The Gossen is better on the paper then the fluke
Gossen min A res 1ua
Fluke 100nA

If there is in Italy i will get the Gossen

Offline rfbroadband

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2016, 10:25:50 pm »
I agree...if your budget supports it go for the Gossen
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:31:33 pm by rfbroadband »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2016, 10:33:14 pm »
I agree...if your budget supports it got for the Gossen

I hopei can find Gossen in Italy xD as the power Supply of ELV they are german made and there arent in Italy

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2016, 10:42:02 pm »
Thanks NiaDebesis.  With those choices the Gossen Metrahit Tech I think is a better buy in the EU.

Some thoughts for you:

Assume all the specs are equal, which is easier to service in the EU, if needed? 

Gossen Tech is slightly more accurate and higher precision.  Its natively ~ 12,000 counts and accuracy is calculated so, while Fluke 87V accuracy is based on 6000 counts; at Fluke high resolution mode of 19,999 counts accuracy drops slightly as the LSD uncertainty increases x 10.   So the Fluke LSD digit is more uncertain.

US full list price the 87V is USD$450 or €406.  In the USA the Gossen cost about as much in USD as in you would pay in the EU, all taxes etc., excluded.  So, in the USA, the 87V is a better buy if the resolution is not an issue and the price is more variable, tending towards cheaper.

Hello NiaDebesis

Hi ^^
Fluke 87V 450 500€

Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2016, 10:47:38 pm »
Thanks NiaDebesis.  With those choices the Gossen Metrahit Tech I think is a better buy in the EU.

Some thoughts for you:

Assume all the specs are equal, which is easier to service in the EU, if needed? 

Gossen Tech is slightly more accurate and higher precision.  Its natively ~ 12,000 counts and accuracy is calculated so, while Fluke 87V accuracy is based on 6000 counts; at Fluke high resolution mode of 19,999 counts accuracy drops slightly as the LSD uncertainty increases x 10.   So the Fluke LSD digit is more uncertain.

US full list price the 87V is USD$450 or €406.  In the USA the Gossen cost about as much in USD as in you would pay in the EU, all taxes etc., excluded.  So, in the USA, the 87V is a better buy if the resolution is not an issue and the price is more variable, tending towards cheaper.

Hello NiaDebesis

Hi ^^
Fluke 87V 450 500€

I think the Fluke, i have phoned at several shop and no one have the Gossen, i have a friend which is seraching it for me, the fluke is easly to find in Europe

My prices is for Italy, we have the "Iva" a tax of 26% on every product

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2016, 11:39:35 pm »
If the Fluke is easy to find, it might be easy to service where you are, if ever needed.  You will know more than me.

That said, Fluke USA has manufactured the 87-V line over 10 years, and the whole 80s line for 28 years, they make a lot of them very well.   Its remains the common choice for use in all the most extreme locations in the earth by US military personnel, as learned by actual use is such places over nearly 30 years.  That's why its still made today almost unchanged from 1988 and despite the 87-V being only IP-30 rated.

Recently this was declassified.  You can see how and where the 87-V is used today as well as the 77-4.  "NSN" means NATO stock number. 
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2016, 11:58:10 pm »
Gossen craps on Fluke.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2016, 12:16:54 am »
I think the Fluke, i have phoned at several shop and no one have the Gossen, i have a friend which is seraching it for me, the fluke is easly to find in Europe

Just a side note, I would be inclined to check the full terms and conditions of either manufacturers warranty status prior to purchase in your region, for instance Fluke are very particular in regards to purchasing equipment through an authorised agent or distributor and buying one from an online auction site or elsewhere may leave you exposed to future unforeseen problems, the last thing you want is a dead on arrival meter with no support from the manufacturer, probably unlikely on these brands but certainly worth looking in to. 

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2016, 02:46:30 am »
Any better brand meter will last you for years...
Get used Fluke 87V of eBay. You can get it for around $200 and most of the time they are spot-on accurate, you can always resell it if you dont like it.

If you have latest Hioki meter, Fluke and Gossen are not any better. Also HIOKI is better for large electrolytic capacitors, it settle down right away while Fluke tend to change value and you are never sure of the value (this applies for older capacitors).

Also check out new Siglent SDM3045X.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2016, 06:54:52 am »

Just a side note, I would be inclined to check the full terms and conditions of either manufacturers warranty status prior to purchase in your region, for instance Fluke are very particular in regards to purchasing equipment through an authorised agent or distributor and buying one from an online auction site or elsewhere may leave you exposed to future unforeseen problems, the last thing you want is a dead on arrival meter with no support from the manufacturer, probably unlikely on these brands but certainly worth looking in to.

I don' t buy nothing of not new, I huy all in real shops

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2016, 07:25:19 am »

In that case you're probably going to buy the Fluke. Gossen can be hard to find.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2016, 07:31:34 am »

In that case you're probably going to buy the Fluke. Gossen can be hard to find.

Eh..i know, if i can' t buy the gossen because is not imported i'll buy the fluke

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2016, 07:57:25 am »

Brymen quality doesn't hold a candle to Gossen.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:01:02 am by P90 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf