Author Topic: Magnova oscilloscope  (Read 112223 times)

king2, Hacked, LoneWolf6912, pmcouto and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Magnova oscilloscope
« Reply #550 on: Yesterday at 07:34:43 pm »
As always: what would you like to analyse with the scope?
Do you need in depth math functions?
Agreed. As far as my experience with Lecroy scopes goes: they are really, utterly great for analysis (like Swiss army knife ^2) but as a general purpose oscilloscope not so much. For starters, one missing feature is peak-detect to prevent aliasing on sub-sampled signals. Lack of peak detect can also lead to missing narrow pulses in a signal in turn leading to mis-interpretation. Think about measuring how many times per second an SPI device is accessed by measuring the CS (select) line over a timespan of several seconds to check uniformity in time while the pulses on the CS lines are in the nanosecond range. Without peak-detect it is possible the pulses won't show or show as irregularities.

Sorry for the disruption and off topic.  See link below

Teledyne LeCroy WaveAce Lab1: Capturing Signals page | 8 of 8
A sampling acquisition samples the waveform at uniform time intervals. A rapid variation in the signal
such as a narrow pulse may therefore be missed. In Peak Detect the highest and lowest values in the
signal are recorded so allowing even narrow pulses to be captured.

https://cdn.teledynelecroy.com/files/tutorials/waveace_lab_capturing_signals.pdf
Lecroy WaveAce series aren't real Lecroy scopes but rebadges from (older) Iwatsu and (newer) Siglent. So it is logical they have features the real Lecroy scopes don't have. Typically the lower end scopes offered by Lecroy are rebadges.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:36:31 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Geofrey

« Reply #551 on: Yesterday at 07:55:19 pm »
I ordered mine (BMO-200) last week. With some luck I will get one with better protection of the screen. Packaging is easy to overlook, but definitely not easy to do right. Shipment often gets rough...

Is there any plan to add USB (1 or 2) to the list of decoded and triggered protocols ? Not a deal breaker, but nice to have.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #552 on: Yesterday at 08:30:52 pm »
Could be difficult with the bandwidth.
Oh, I just had to turn it on for a moment... ;)
Booting is fast, it's a bit irritating that there is no boot logo, instead the power on light flashes during this time.
The Scope is dead silent...
The display is very good in terms of clarity and colors, the reaction of the touch panel to finger swipes is almost without delay, very fast.
It seems to be due to the acclimatization, because I have an offset on all channels, let's see how it is tomorrow.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Christian K

Offline Geofrey

« Reply #553 on: Yesterday at 08:41:55 pm »
USB HS is probably not possible, but FS (12 Mbit/s) and LS (1.5 Mbit/s) should definitely be

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online king2

• Contributor
« Reply #554 on: Yesterday at 08:59:13 pm »
Digital signals, so I need possibility to capture some long sequence, and then analyze it, zoom, find noise/strange edges.
I need long memory for this and interface that can zoom by mouse click (or something more suitable then changing time, scroll by encoder, and aoom in again, like I do now with OWON SDS8202).

Analog signals, for example, response from gamma-photons, ~50-500mV, with possibility to see them with signal persistance. With my current scope such signals not so far from noise floor, so trigger works not so good as I want, persistance works not very well too. Ideally, I want to get hystogram of amplitudes of signals was captured by trigger.

Digital signals, like PWM, with history/trend view, to see, for example, if PWM period was changed over time.

I was very impressed how measurement values displayed on Magnova (on oscillogram itself, showing what I see instead of several columns of values in table separated from signal view).

And, finally, I cannot understand which features I will like, I had no expensive scopes yet :(

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #555 on: Today at 01:52:23 am »
Agreed. As far as my experience with Lecroy scopes goes: they are really, utterly great for analysis (like Swiss army knife ^2) but as a general purpose oscilloscope not so much. For starters, one missing feature is peak-detect to prevent aliasing on sub-sampled signals. Lack of peak detect can also lead to missing narrow pulses in a signal in turn leading to mis-interpretation. Think about measuring how many times per second an SPI device is accessed by measuring the CS (select) line over a timespan of several seconds to check uniformity in time while the pulses on the CS lines are in the nanosecond range. Without peak-detect it is possible the pulses won't show or show as irregularities.

Sorry for the disruption and off topic.  See link below

Teledyne LeCroy WaveAce Lab1: Capturing Signals page | 8 of 8
A sampling acquisition samples the waveform at uniform time intervals. A rapid variation in the signal
such as a narrow pulse may therefore be missed. In Peak Detect the highest and lowest values in the
signal are recorded so allowing even narrow pulses to be captured.

https://cdn.teledynelecroy.com/files/tutorials/waveace_lab_capturing_signals.pdf
Lecroy WaveAce series aren't real Lecroy scopes but rebadges from (older) Iwatsu and (newer) Siglent. So it is logical they have features the real Lecroy scopes don't have. Typically the lower end scopes offered by Lecroy are rebadges.
Got it.  For their higher end scopes, the sample rate is fast enough and the triggers are have advanced to where, who needs peak detect?  Even with my old scopes at home, I haven't thought about needing that feature in decades. 

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #556 on: Today at 05:26:46 am »
One minor UI issue, perhaps me rather than the scope. I wanted to find the cursors to measure something. I expected to find them under the "measure" item, but no, they are under the list where you choose channels, triggering, etc.

To me they are a kind of measuring tool, but I suppose to Batronix they are "something to be shown on the screen or not", like the channels...

I should have put this in context.
Other than this minor nitpick, I must say that I find the scope very straightfoward to use, and much more intuitive than my old Keysight scope.
I like having the probe attachments on the side, which gives me more working space overall.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf