Author Topic: Kickass deal or BS?  (Read 4847 times)

Online jaromir

• Supporter
Re: Kickass deal or BS?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 10:22:56 pm »
BS.

The following users thanked this post: Saitama

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 10:27:42 pm »
If it sounds too good to be true, well, you can guess the rest.  Scam, scam, scam.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 01:30:05 pm »
This message has appeared at the top of the listing page for the Hantek scope and all 276 of the seller's other items. It could be the next step might be for the seller to disappear from eBay:

"This seller is currently away, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later."

If you do a search for 'Hantek DSO5202P Digital Oscilloscope', the listing for this $49 scope does not come up although you can still link to it from the original post. The cheapest price listing for this scope on eBay now is $329.

Offline therealdjryan

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 02:06:42 pm »
I ordered one and got a tracking number. At that price why not? We'll see what comes in the mail....

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 02:22:21 pm »
You'll get a tracking number, if you're lucky it might even be a real one, however, it won't be to your address or it will be for somethiing completely different, if you don't raise a case with eBay the instant you realise you've been ripped off (any time now) then the seller will mess you around, even offer to replace it as long as you ship the 'wrong' part back at some exorbitant cost to dealy the inveitabel sound of your money vanishing forever into their pocket or just ghost you completely.

As long as you don't give an inch you'll get your money back but be damn sure to follow the eBay process, even call eBay (yes they have helpful people on the end of the phones) and then your money is fairly safe.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 02:30:37 pm »
scaaaaaaaaammmm   reported

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 05:44:44 pm »
I ordered one and got a tracking number. At that price why not? We'll see what comes in the mail....

My guess: "Nothing!"

Tracking numbers are worthless, sellers can put any old number in there and eBay will accept it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 06:04:28 pm by Fungus »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 08:28:35 pm »
tracking totally worthless,  ive been had for an de-5000 lcr (thread here),  they shipped it to an unknown adress 800km from my home ??   Tracking did not work at all in ebay ...  be warned

It could be an envelope, a post card  etc .... anything but not your scope 

Ebay must  love  loosing money  >:D  even with reporting they do nothing ...

Quoting myself :   I saw tons of Ebay registrations dating year 2017 and 2018 before they dissapeared,    maybe they used some kind of bots ???
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:34:40 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 08:36:51 pm »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 08:55:43 pm »
Ebay must  love  loosing money  >:D  even with reporting they do nothing ...
paypal will hold the money until buyer gives +ve feedback or within 45 days not really sure which one. but dont worry, the money is safe, if its through paypal... but i guess its not the seller who sent the parcel since he is currently away and he does not ship to malaysia so  i guess its also a warm offer to fellow westerners ::)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 09:34:43 pm »
Not so sure  Paypal changed a few things recently,  when i sell things on Ebay, i'm getting paid faster than before,  i was at 21 days, and now  its under a week ...... in my case ?

the seller was selling this : 

New for Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD Solid State Drive (#153545184668)

and it was removed ... check the bad feedback, surely in one month they will dramatically increase.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 09:37:36 pm by coromonadalix »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 09:42:35 pm »
Hacked account. There is endless supply of fools so this scam never ends  :palm:.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 09:55:44 pm »
And thus we perpetuate the scammers earning a buck. They really should start refusing to pay out any compensation. Maybe losing $50 will bring sudden clarity. Or maybe they should simply start prosecuting when people willingly and knowingly engage in obvious scams.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 09:59:38 pm by Mr. Scram »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 10:37:43 pm »
I don't get the purpose of trying to scam while using the Ebay / Paypal payment system. If you file a claim you get your money back so where is the profit model for the scammer? Maybe there is some money to be made from the few which are dumb enough to let the period during which you can file a claim pass?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 10:55:02 pm »
I don't get the purpose of trying to scam while using the Ebay / Paypal payment system. If you file a claim you get your money back so where is the profit model for the scammer? Maybe there is some money to be made from the few which are dumb enough to let the period during which you can file a claim pass?
The scammers stall and take the money and run. Remember they tend to use legit accounts they somehow gained access to. There's little to no escrow on those. Ebay pays back the buyer and makes a loss. You're enabling the seller to walk off with enough money to try again. You're perpetuating crime.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 06:22:08 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 01:53:31 am »
Something is fishy

If you check this : https://www.ebay.com/usr/sanhetiyu222       

Check the store or items to sell, you see nothing, and clearly ebay show you on the first thread 2 items for sale.

You have :  Based in China, sanhetiyu222 has been an eBay member since Jun 24, 2018

and in the items for sale :

"Sorry, something went wrong! We aren't able to display what this member has for sale, but here's where you can go to see all of their listings."

Here we go again,   lots of deceived people to come

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 04:17:44 am »
If you read my post #3, when this started sanhetiyu222 had 278 listed items for sale and there was a link to their eBay 'store' which basically had all the same items. When eBay was alerted to the problem I believe eBay put the "This seller is currently away, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later" message on all their listings which stopped (blocked) all further transactions, then when eBay determined it was a real problem, they canceled all their listings and closed the store which is why you now see no listing for this seller.

One way a 'business' like this can build a lot of positive feedback to make you think they are legit is to list a lot of very cheap junky items then buy the items themselves using fake accounts. If you check their feedback and you see a lot of feedback from buyers with only a couple of feedbacks, you can assume these were fake accounts that were created just to have a bogus transaction so they can give themselves positive feedback. This seller had a string of about 50 transactions in a row with buyers with 0 and 1 positive feedbacks which looked very suspicious. I believe an eBay store give the seller a bulk rate so they can have a lot of listings without putting up a lot of front money. I also assume this seller very actively kept their PayPal balance near zero so when eBay got notified and froze their PayPal account, there was almost no money in it.

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 05:15:38 am »
Read the negative feedback. Says it all !

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=sanhetiyu222&myworld=true&items=25&iid=-1&de=off&which=negative&interval=365

Sadly I think tons of this sellers listings were “too good to be true” :(   Buyer: d***r ( 142Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499)     During past month   Feedback conversation
    New for Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD Solid State Drive (#153545184668)   US $40.00   View Item

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 08:49:44 am »
If you read my post #3, when this started sanhetiyu222 had 278 listed items for sale and there was a link to their eBay 'store' which basically had all the same items. When eBay was alerted to the problem I believe eBay put the "This seller is currently away, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later" message on all their listings which stopped (blocked) all further transactions, then when eBay determined it was a real problem, they canceled all their listings and closed the store which is why you now see no listing for this seller.

One way a 'business' like this can build a lot of positive feedback to make you think they are legit is to list a lot of very cheap junky items then buy the items themselves using fake accounts. If you check their feedback and you see a lot of feedback from buyers with only a couple of feedbacks, you can assume these were fake accounts that were created just to have a bogus transaction so they can give themselves positive feedback. This seller had a string of about 50 transactions in a row with buyers with 0 and 1 positive feedbacks which looked very suspicious. I believe an eBay store give the seller a bulk rate so they can have a lot of listings without putting up a lot of front money. I also assume this seller very actively kept their PayPal balance near zero so when eBay got notified and froze their PayPal account, there was almost no money in it.
That is possible but it would still require the seller to direct the money to a secure place where Paypal can't claim it back. It is certainly not as simple as opening an Ebay & Paypal account and get rich quick.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 08:58:46 am »
That is possible but it would still require the seller to direct the money to a secure place where Paypal can't claim it back. It is certainly not as simple as opening an Ebay & Paypal account and get rich quick.
What's so complicated about that? It's known these scammers keep their Paypal accounts close to zero as not to lose much when they inevitably get shut down.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 09:53:19 am »
Which is not a big problem at all. Just transfer to some bank account.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019, 10:11:13 am »
What's so complicated about that? It's known these scammers keep their Paypal accounts close to zero as not to lose much when they inevitably get shut down.
I don't know if you ever opened a Paypal account but to withdraw money from it you need to send some ID to Paypal and go through a verification process so Paypal is sure that a bank account belongs to you and the address matches. For a scammer to get away he/she would also need access to a hacked Paypal account and transfer the money elsewhere where it is not traceable. It really is not that simple.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2019, 10:14:05 am »
Read the negative feedback. Says it all !

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=sanhetiyu222&myworld=true&items=25&iid=-1&de=off&which=negative&interval=365

Sadly I think tons of this sellers listings were “too good to be true” :(   Buyer: d***r ( 142Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499)     During past month   Feedback conversation
    New for Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD Solid State Drive (#153545184668)   US $40.00   View Item

Nice detective work,   when you see the buyers feedback, you see many repetitive names, but the score are not always the same ???

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 10:16:51 am »
I don't know if you ever opened a Paypal account but to withdraw money from it you need to send some ID to Paypal and go through a verification process so Paypal is sure that a bank account belongs to you and the address matches. For a scammer to get away he/she would also need access to a hacked Paypal account and transfer the money elsewhere where it is not traceable. It really is not that simple.

If Ebay could use banking accounts as a second step verification, maybe many crocks would be blocked ??     Would be fun to try  linking many Ebay loggings to only one bank account and see if Ebay would detect it ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf