Author Topic: Keysight/Agilent N5306A PCIe Analyzer license issue  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Myriad79Topic starter

Keysight/Agilent N5306A PCIe Analyzer license issue
« on: December 26, 2023, 09:53:35 pm »
Hi there,

for a hobby project I'm working on, I recently bought some Agilent N5302A chassis, a N5306A PCIe Analyzer board and some N5315A-A04 passive probe on Ebay.
After having messed around with the Software for quite some time, I got it to boot using DHCP and FTP hosted on an old WindowsXP machine. So far so good.

However, it seems I'm lacking some kind of license to go along with it.
When I start the Protcol Analyzer software and am about to start capture, I get an error dialog saying "Unable to start analyzer: Port handle is invalid. Module 101 is not licensed for Protocol Analysis at current port speed."
This is regardless of which link speed I'm using, which probe type I select, etc.

Now I'm wondering whether I'm missing some license to be installed on my local machine, despite the hints Alex has given in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-n5306a-pcie-protocol-analyzer/msg1199751/#msg1199751.
Unfortunately, he hasn't been around in years.  :(

Does anyone know if
a) there's indeed a license file needed
b) the module I have might be unsuitable (even though it is an N5306A PCIe Analyzer and was declared as such on Ebay, its back has a sticker labeled "Protocol Analyzer for Infiniband x12 enabled", whereas others read e.g. "x8 Analyzer for PCIE 5Gb/s")
c) there are still possibilities in retrieving a key directly from Keysight, despite it's been discontinued already some years ago and I have no original documents such as order etc.
d) alternatives do exist? (I briefly looked at the software but this seems a humongous venue to reverse)

Thanks in advance!

BR Thomas
I'm primarily into retro-computing and some HW and SW projects around Commodore Amiga (mostly active on German A1k forum - ask for my handle if interested).

Offline darkroom

• Contributor
Re: Keysight/Agilent N5306A PCIe Analyzer license issue
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 07:34:29 pm »
Hi,

The license is actually in the card from my understanding.

Did you have to do anything special to get the FTP working?  I got the DHCP working, but when I try to run the diagnostics, it tries to load a file, and that doesn't work.  I'd be interested in what you had to do.

Thanks!

Austin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf