Author Topic: Isolation amplifiers?? (for oscilloscope)  (Read 5744 times)

Online nctnicoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Isolation amplifiers?? (for oscilloscope)
« on: August 04, 2015, 09:48:55 pm »
I'm looking into getting some isolated channels on an oscilloscope. For example to look at the gate drive signal of a high side mosfet. I know there are differential probes but these also attenuate the signal. What I would want is the ability to measure a few volts riding on top of a couple of hundreds volts.

So far I have found an isolation amplifier made by Siglent but that only goes to 1MHz. Are there any other options out there?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:02:21 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
Re: Isolation amplifiers?? (for oscilloscope)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 10:56:08 pm »
Aside from an oscilloscope with properly isolated inputs, the only reasonable option to probe line-side signals in a SMPS is a differential probe. The usual differential probe with 25MHz bandwidth will faithfully reproduce "square" waves with a ~15ns risetime which ought to be more than sufficient.

That said, I use two different scopes with truly isolated inputs for most of my work on switchmode power circuits - an ancient, but much beloved Tek THS720 and a newer but not as much loved AEMC OX7104. I also have a couple of B&K Precision 25MHz differential probes but they spend most of the time draining AA batteries (but do work well when used).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 10:57:59 pm »
Correct, however the Siglent ISFE is a 2 channel accesory that offers good isolation and lower DUT loadings than many Differential probes. USB powered.
http://www.siglentamerica.com/prodcut-fjxx.aspx?fjid=404&id=25&tid=1&T=2

You should be aware it has a 200:1 attenuation and FW to match this to enable accurate OSD in Siglent DSO's is being rolled out in each FW update.
I've had a lot to do with this FW  :-/O and it was discussed at length when I was at the factory some months back.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 11:10:53 pm »
Testec offers quite a few differential probes. They are rebranded by Tektronix, Agilent/Keysight, Hameg, Lecroy, Yokogawa etc.
http://www.testec.de/251.0.html?L=1

My personal favorite would be this one:
http://www.reichelt.de/Tastkoepfe-und-Zubehoer/TT-SI-9101/3/index.html?ACTION=3&GROUPID=5903&ARTICLE=132890&OFFSET=16&

100MHz and switchable 10:1 or 100:1 ratio. Unfortunately a bit expensive. I hope to get find one on ebay for 300€ or so one day.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 11:42:43 pm »
IMHO one of the problems with differential probes is the banana plugs & leads. That won't work for signals over a few MHz. I would like something I can connect a somewhat standard oscilloscope probe to (with touch safe BNC locking mechanism) and attach it somewhere in a circuit.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 12:28:55 am »
IMHO one of the problems with differential probes is the banana plugs & leads. That won't work for signals over a few MHz. I would like something I can connect a somewhat standard oscilloscope probe to (with touch safe BNC locking mechanism) and attach it somewhere in a circuit.
This you can do with Siglents ISFE.
I attach an email that was sent to Siglent but has an overview of ISFE useage.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 12:33:45 am »
I already looked at the ISFE but the bandwidth is only 1MHz and the 200:1 attenuation ratio limits the use enormously.

Offline The Electrician

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 05:49:00 am »
a newer but not as much loved AEMC OX7104.

Slightly OT, but what don't you like about the AEMC OX7104?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf