Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a budget USB power tester?  (Read 242 times)

tautech, Cyber Akuma, coromonadalix and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Cyber AkumaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Can anyone recommend a budget USB power tester?
« on: July 21, 2024, 06:49:44 pm »
Never used one of these before, and I need to test how much power some special-purpose USB ports will pull. When I tried to look it up the top results I was led to this thread on this forum:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/which-usb-power-tester-do-you-recommend/

... and other random websites recommending everything under the sun.

Only issue with the recommendations is that they are pretty expensive, about $70-100, the cheapest one (for the links that still work) was $40.

I know there are many on Amazon that are around $10-15, but I have no idea how much I can trust those or if they would just be trash. Are there any that are $30 or under (Preferably $20 or under) that one can recommend that are decent? I am not looking for one that has a ton of bells and whistles or features, if I ever need something high-end I can try to save up for that CT-3 that was recommended in that thread, for now I just need to see how much voltage and amps a USB port I need for a project can pull. I noticed that even Klein has a $18 one, the ET900. Is that one good? I know they make good Multimeters but I am not sure about their other testers, or are there better ones one can recommend for that price range?

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Can anyone recommend a budget USB power tester?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2024, 07:06:37 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by special purpose USB port, but if you're just interested in standard 5V USB voltage, current and mAh, I've found this style to be simple and effective: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194913261069 (UK link but I'm sure you'll find them in the US). Obviously no good for 12V USB-C chargers etc.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Dave_g8

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2024, 08:24:53 pm »
Hi,
For basic measurements, the UM25C works quite well. It costs around £20~£25 in the UK, it was £14 when I purchased one in 2019.
2318267-0

There are two versions, the “UM25” and “UMC25C”, the latter supports Bluetooth connection which can be used with PC software or Android APP, allowing control, monitoring and logging.
The specifications for the UM25C meter are shown below.
2318263-1

Example information shown on the display is shown below.
2318259-2

Example information available using the Android APP, including an exported XLS file is shown below.
2318271-3

« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 08:27:07 pm by Dave_g8 »

Online TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2024, 08:30:49 pm »
I’m no expert in usb protocols, but there are several power modes usb devices can negotiate when connected.  That’s why I splurged a bit and got the FNIRSI FN58 ($60).  But that’s also because I can justify the expense for work IT maintenance.  It’s also important to verify the usb protocol being used in addition to volts / amps / watts.

The UM25 mentioned above seems like a good compromise if you’re on a budget.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 08:57:48 pm by TomKatt »
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PICt

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2024, 10:59:00 pm »
.. and I need to test how much power some special-purpose USB ports will pull. ..
What is special-purpose USB ports?
IF you don't have any already, and you just need crude in-line USB meter to see what amp/voltage that are taking place, as something is better then nothing, then just start out with one of the cheaper ones, that got both USB + TypeC sockets, as nowadays many products are using TypeC.
These dual socket meters (TypeC male+femal and also incl. USB-A male+female) price-wise starts around 5 bucks (delivered).
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/S75327298143a4f70bd7fab204cc8bf05z.jpg
But they don't have max log (amp/volt/watt), only the single sockets seem to have that, when it comes to these very cheap ones under 5 bucks.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:24:40 pm »
I bought the Fnirsi 48 but hate the UI design, its terrible to navigate and use for basic tasks. Save yourself the hassle and get a $5 USB-A one to start.

These look interesting for type C, but no type A
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006822341040.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006848187940.html
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline shabaz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:46:07 am »
Just to add another one to the pile of options; I have the one shown in the screenshot, for USB-C purposes.
I've never tried testing it for accuracy, but it's certainly useful for occasional tasks, to understand what voltage got power-deliveried, and the current draw.
I can't say if it is much better or worse than other products. I didn't spend a lot of time comparing specs at the time, I just had a need and it worked for it. There are different displays (including a real-time chart display with selectable speeds) but the main numeric display is the one I actually use, it's fairly readable from a distance too, despite being small.

EDIT: Found some action shots of it on my phone, I've added those.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:58:19 am by shabaz »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf