Author Topic: Tektronix TLA7000 series CPU, memory and OS upgrade useful?  (Read 6572 times)

Offline d37duck

• Contributor
Re: Tektronix TLA7000 series CPU, memory and OS upgrade useful?
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 06:59:47 pm »
Hi Something Good Happened,

I loaded Windows XP Pro x32 2002 onto a Hitachi Hard Disk and installed all the drivers I could find for my TLA7012, which was all put one.

I was missing the driver for the PCI Coprocessor.   When this driver isn’t installed the CPU has jerky response, there are DOS Boxes flashing on the display every 10 seconds, nags about no TekLink connection, and the PC hangs on mouse button stimuli.  I assume the PCI Coprocessor is turned on without an interface to the OS to control it, so it runs wild generating interrupts to the CPU.

The Front Panel is an example.  When I power on the TLA7012 before the Front Panel driver is installed, the push buttons illuminate and stay on after the OS boots.  When I power up the TLA7012 after the Front Panel driver is installed, the push buttons illuminate but are turned of when the OS boots.

I couldn’t find the PCI Coprocessor driver so I logged onto the Tektronix Support Center.  They opened a support case, two hours later I got and email telling me “Just uploaded on the box account” with a link.  I followed the link and there was a 15 MB file, TLA7012_drivers.zip, to download.  I unpacked the file and found folders for: Audio, Chipset, Front Panel, GBE EEROM, Graphics, LAN, PCI-VXI Bridge, Semtech Touch Screen, and TekLink Bridge.  I think Tektronix has changed for the better.  In the past their response would be the part number for a new system disk drive, I could buy, with a lead time of a month or so.   I’m pleased to see Tektronix act more like HP in the old days.  They still have a way to go, an online part number database, with were used, to support their maintains manuals would be nice.

I used the Windows Hardware Manager to load a driver for the Coprocessor from the TekLink Bridge folder.  The Wizard accepted the folder and the Hardware Manager said all the devices where loaded.  I power cycled the instrument and everything still had a driver.  I had not run the TLA_V51SP1 upgrade so I decided to state over again with a fresh WinXP intallation.  On my second time around, I used the drivers from the zip file.  I loaded the:
•   Chipset folder;
•   Graphics folder, that didn’t install so I used the driver I found previously;
•   Audio folder;
•   LAN folder; that didn’t install so I used the driver I found previously;
•   Front Panel;
•   Semtech Touch Screen folder;
•   TekLink Bridge;
•   I don’t know what GBE EEROM is, so I didn’t try it.  Does anyone know about it?
•   The next step was to install upgrade TLA_V51SP1.  See the instructions in TLASWDOWN_51SP1.pdf

The LAN folder that didn’t install contains a driver for a PCI LAN Card, the driver I used is for motherboard applications using a 82573E PHY chip (PRO2KXP_v14_0.exe).  I don’t know why the Graphics folder didn’t install but I used a driver included in the Intel 915 driver set (win2k_xp142550.exe).  The graphics driver is needed to run the display at full resolution.  The Audio folder contains drivers for three different chips, use the Hardware Manager to select the one that works.  The correct choice for my Radisys motherboard was wdm.  I think the driver zip is covering the later motherboard or TLA7PC.  Tektronix wanted feedback so I raved about their service and gave them a FYI about the missing drivers.

Intel doesn’t supply drivers for their discontinued chip sets or PC Boards.  They stopped in early 2020.  The drivers I used came from: https://drivers.eu/ .  I discovered this website about a month ago, they picked up support for discontinued computer boards, CPUs, and chip sets.  They support Intel’s ATX boards used in various Tek instruments but not Radisys.   For the Radisys motherboard I searched for drivers by chip family.

After installing everything and rebooting, the CPU lost its jerkiness and the TLA applications came to life.  A TLA7E1 went through relay clicking spasms like any other digital scope at power up, but the waveform displayed is very noisy.  A TLA7AA4 wants upgraded firmware.  I think I got it. 

There’s a helpful post by John_ITIC of a technical paper: History of Windows Device Drivers. 

Thankyou Tektronix and ALL,

The following users thanked this post: alm

Offline calibrationfixture

• Regular Contributor
Re: Tektronix TLA7000 series CPU, memory and OS upgrade useful?
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2024, 05:18:52 am »
Hi,

A bit overdue, but could be usefull. Some time ago I also build my TLA7012 HDD up from scratch. Later I discovered there is a free TLA7012 Recovery Set (First Generation) on:

https://archive.org/details/tla-7012-recovery-media-063-3876-02

I made a Disk with that. Working perfect, no puzzling.

Calibrationfixture
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 11:09:10 am by calibrationfixture »

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf