Author Topic: HP 5005A A6 Pod  (Read 89 times)

Offline Mick BTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
HP 5005A A6 Pod
« on: Today at 06:59:54 pm »
 :clap: I did it! my HP 5005A is alive. That was not fun, but in the end the 3 coax cables were successfully replace with RG316 and a sheath from an old O2 sensor out of one of my Saabs.
After putting it together there were error messages E18 & E15 this turned out to be the ribbon cables connecting the 3 boards together, after reseating them a few times no errors. As far as I've tested is the quick test as far as the test leads go there supposed to measure approximately 100K all 3 are 98.7 ohms winner winner chicken dinner!
Now I can get back to testing the HP 8116A's before I was so rudely interrupted by a faulty coax cable.

Offline Mick BTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: HP 5005A A6 Pod
« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:02:36 pm »
Hello all, I spoke to soon saying I was finished with replacing the coax cable to the timing pod of the HP 5005A. I read the manual from cover to cover, and it appears some calibration is in order, at least some checking. Just guessing and I was tired, but my comprehension through that manual was only about 30%. I have a lot more reading, and things to look up before tweaking anything in the HP 5005A. I wonder if I have the right gear to even attempt this. HP didn't help using their 5036A Micro Processor Lab and a Pulse Gen. 100MHz with <2ns transition, I am quite sure I don't have these things or even a 300V power supply, and not likely to ever have them. I am hoping I can look at the input compensation and see if changing the coax affected the adjustments. If so, I will need a pulse gen that is fast and adjustable to the likes of HP8007B. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, it can't cost BIG money either.

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
Re: HP 5005A A6 Pod
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:16:36 pm »
Leo Bodnar has a very fast pulse generator that is priced reasonably - https://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=124&products_id=375&zenid=d7c585c1711b14e51112878a16ca6e92

That and the other bits for adjustments in Table 1-2 should be all you need (assuming that your repairs are such that they can be adjusted). I have a 5005B around here somewhere if I can help with measurements of that...

TonyG

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf