Author Topic: 121GW - Is it worth it with all the problems posted on this forum?  (Read 8181 times)

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: 121GW - Is it worth it with all the problems posted on this forum?
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2020, 09:16:45 am »
I respect the BM235 in general but for the bench I've given up on it.  The selector switch is stiff and the stand is tiny/flimsy/squishy.

I agree that the stand on the BM235 could have been better, the other day I was repairing a circuit which involved constantly switching modes and after only a few minutes I gave up and simply pulled out another meter for voltage and left the BM235 on resistance. An addition or modification such as the one shown below should help with these concerns.   :-/O

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3666409

Online J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2020, 09:34:28 am »
I respect the BM235 in general but for the bench I've given up on it.  The selector switch is stiff and the stand is tiny/flimsy/squishy.

I agree that the stand on the BM235 could have been better, the other day I was repairing a circuit which involved constantly switching modes and after only a few minutes I gave up and simply pulled out another meter for voltage and left the BM235 on resistance. An addition or modification such as the one shown below should help with these concerns.   :-/O

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3666409

That looks promising, but I think the problem still remains somewhat because the stand is mounted to the rubber holster, so when you press down it has a tendency to collapse.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2020, 09:48:26 am »
My issue was more with the selector rotation and stiffness but after closer inspection I can see that the stand does not have a sufficiently firm end stop, past that point the holster just begins to pull away from the meter which only adds to the problem.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2020, 09:49:47 am »
For Bench use would some sort of bucket or slightly tilted wall mount option be a good idea? I made some modded bucket a while back for my Micsig scope to change the angle and space it took up on the bench. I was going to screw the mounts down but it was fine just sitting on the bench.

Biggest problem with this is the range of meters.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2020, 10:05:49 am »
A member has already done a nice stand for the 121GW.   :-/O

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-121gw-bench-stand-(3d-printed)/

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2020, 10:18:45 am »
Looks good and nice use of the probe holders on the bumper to hold it. I hadn't seen it before. I just opened up the Fusion file and tweaking the angle was only one angle to get it to 60 degrees from the 40 he had it set to.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2020, 10:29:07 am »
Our daily DMM tasks, priorities, desires, budgets, etc. can change.  So even though I liked and used the BM235 for a while after I got it, when I moved into a place where I could set up a decent workbench I suddenly had no real use for it.

I picked up a calibrated 34401A and it handles most of the bench meter tasks these days.

However, today I was working on a 66332A and I ended up using 4 different DMMs.  They all had something useful to contribute to the project.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf