Author Topic: Rigol DHO804 Test and Compare Thread  (Read 146554 times)

Offline rpro

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol DHO804 Test and Compare Thread
« Reply #1125 on: January 11, 2024, 02:53:00 am »
-Touch function in the screen size can no longer be used only with fingers
-No hires mode (14, 16 bit)
-Sample rate drops to 312.5 MSa/s from 3 active channels, must be kept in mind when displaying high-frequency signals
-No bodeplot
-Memory drops to a meager 1Mpt when all channels are active(original state)
-Few decoding functions
-No upgradeable options(original state)
-Relatively useless "ultra acquisition" mode
-Poorly equipped FFT function, also error-prone
-Various inconsistencies in the software in general
-Only one usb port
-Somewhat high-frequency sounding fan
-Limited window functions

Thank you for your summary.  While I generally agree with your list of pros and cons, and observations, I would like to add a few observations of my own that may help others:

1. I found the x-y functionality more responsive and featured than in other low-priced scopes.
2. The scope hdmi output makes it very convenient to add a HD monitor, that I use with a wireless mouse all the time. With this setup (using an USB hub), on the scope I mostly tend to use the flex knobs, (for which I find their "continuous" feel convenient.)   
3. While the scope has no upgradeable options for sale, it can be easily hacked to higher frequencies, which for $400 makes it a bargain if you are looking for a 12-bit 200/300 MHz scope (measured @ 1.25Gsa/s with 1-ch.), with more memory, additional decoders, 200uV/div and 2ns/div scales, and with very low noise (to complement an 8-bit scope like the MSO5000).  The hacks can be literally changed in seconds, via well developed adb methods that can be found in this forum.
4. While the FFT can be (and should be) vastly improved, its particularly fast refresh rate makes it amenable to be used with (python/pyvisa) scripts to quickly acquire FFT traces, that can be further processed for averaging, peak/max holding, etc. (For example, I have scripts with aliases defined on my Mac to perform these tasks (and the hacks) with a couple of keystrokes on-demand. You can find an example script on this thread.) 
5. My hearing may not be very good, but this scope is literally significantly quieter than any other scope with an OEM fan that I have heard. (I have returned a very popular scope because of its fan noise, and hence I consider myself relatively sensitive in this regard, yet I have really no issues with the fan noise of this scope.) 
6. While the windowing system could have more features, I have found its flexibility almost sufficient when used with a 22 inch monitor, as I normally do. Also, the Android os (the scope runs on) offers additional useful screen features. For example, I like being able to adjust the overall scope screen brightness as needed, a feature unfortunately not present in some other popular scopes. 
7. To remain competitive, I expect and hope Rigol will significantly improve this scope software (and release process) in the future. This thread and others have a wealth of bug finds and suggestions to help that end.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 02:57:15 am by rpro »

Online Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1126 on: January 11, 2024, 08:21:55 pm »
Hi,
Good and important additions, I would like to comment on them from my point of view.
To:
1) I agree, I hadn't mentioned it.
2) Same
3) See my list (original state)
4) I was interested in what the scope itself can do, what you can use directly - if it has an FFT function, I want to be able to use it immediately as I am used to from other scopes and not just indirectly.
5) The sound is high frequency, but certainly not the loudest in my lab.
The DS1054Z is incomparably louder, even an SDS1104 is louder.
However, the high frequency becomes annoying over time, but that might be different for everyone, hence the emphasis on personal opinion.
7) I really hope so for all Rigol owners and those interested in the future.
Only I don't believe in it, I'm a bit branded, owned the DS1054Z, DS2072, MSO5074, DHO804 and had the DHO4204 on loan.
And had active contact with rigol support between 2018 and 2020.
I know Rigol a little, you could say.

"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: rpro

Offline tiagoalecio

« Reply #1127 on: June 30, 2024, 01:33:08 pm »
Thank you very much, you saved my life. :-+ :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf