Author Topic: How in Canada do u buy Keysight/Agilent and Brymen ??  (Read 7739 times)

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
How in Canada do u buy Keysight/Agilent and Brymen ??
« on: December 25, 2016, 01:55:12 am »
I got feed up trying to search google for multimeter retailers, all I saw was junk and super expensive fluke

Keysight does have a site and they only list 4 companies, but they want all my mailing info, name, address, etc, 50 questions just to get a reply, and then endless junk mail I assume.

And Brymen ????, does anyone even sell them in Canada ?

I'm trying to decide between a U1272A or a Brymen 869

And in my city, forget it, hopeless I'm sure, just fluke, junk, and a bunh of others I've never heard of

And I'm fed up with the world all week

Offline Len

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How in Canada do u buy Keysight/Agilent and Brymen ??
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 02:41:11 am »
Active Tech http://www.active123.com sells Keysight meters. If there isn't a store near you, you can order online.

Newark http://www.newark.com (the American part of Element 14) sells Keysight and has reasonable shipping to Canada.

I don't know where to get Brymen, other than ebay, Amazon and dodgy chinglish "Canadian" web sites.
DIY Eurorack Synth: https://lenp.net/synth/

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 03:03:09 am »
I did find a list on Keysight after

http://www.keysight.com/main/contactInformation.jspx?cc=CA&lc=eng&nid=-11143.0&pageMode=PF&tmprop=TM

only checked newark... so far, and its like 620w/tax but without shipping and the tax on shipping, so like 650

thats twice the ebay price of the BM869

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 03:34:17 am »
TME in poland and frankie (iloveelectronics) ebay Hong Kong sell Brymen at decent prices.
see: www.tme.eu
see: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

can't help with keysight

TME in poland ships fast via DHL and if there are no problems you are golden, but they are reluctant communicators otherwise. Frankie is a forum member and no problem to get a hold of here. Search the forum for brymen bm969 there are extensive  threads.

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 04:49:35 am »
brymen in North America is sold only as Greenlee but I've only seen the lower end models in Canada.
Gone for good

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 05:53:02 am »
Where are you located?
VE7FM

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 09:06:13 am »
brymen in North America is sold only as Greenlee but I've only seen the lower end models in Canada.

I went through this exact exercise 3-4 years ago. First step contact Brymen in Taiwan, they tell me Greenlee rebadged units are the official reseller for North America. Greenlee sells the BM869 as the BM860 for nearly 200% markup (actual around 180% if I recall) over TME price. Things may have changed somewhat since then. You can find it at Allied Electronics  and at a  local shop that caters to electricians.

I said piss on that noise, and bought 2 meters from TME. You can buy an 869 or 867 which is cheaper and has nearly all the 869 features and still get another Brymen like dave's rebranded EEVBlog meter and still be ahead of the Greenlee price. For that matter you can get the Brymen now and patrol ebay for a sweet deal on a used Fluke.

The keysight meters never appealed to me and I would especially avoid the OLED one like the plague. Even the LCD ones have problems. Wraper's unit came from that batch that had soldering quality control issues. That was episodic and now fixed, look for his thread for more info. Then there is the recent EMC issues. The good news is that Keysight makes the customer whole after being provoked by bad coverage on this forum, the bad news is that there are the problems on these expensive meters to begin with.

Offline redg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 05:10:15 am »
Keysight does have a site ... but they want all my mailing info, name, address, etc, 50 questions just to get a reply, and then endless junk mail I assume.

And Brymen ????, does anyone even sell them in Canada ?

My two cents, as a Canadian living in New York...

Regardless of whether you are in the U.S. or Canada, Keysight will not allow you to download a User Manual unless you turn over your e-mail address, which the company will then use to spam you. This is contrary to mailing list industry guidelines, which require one to opt in to e-mail, but Keysight continues to do it. I was sufficiently annoyed about this that it is one of the reasons that I chose to purchase a Hioki DT4252 rather than one of Keysight's multimeters.

Brymen, except under the Greenlee name, does not sell its multimeters in Canada or the U.S. If you want to buy a Brymen, you have to purchase it from Poland or Hong Kong/Taiwan. The owner of this site was also selling a Brymen from Australia, branded under the EEV Blog name, but I don't know whether he is still doing so, and there were some issues raised about his meter (do a search on this site) which you may or may not find significant.

Re vendors, I have made a number of purchases from Tequipment.net in New Jersey and have been happy with their selection, pricing and service. If you are thinking of purchasing from them, you might look at the thread on Tequipment's EEV blog discount. If you register at Tequipment.net, you may find that that discount already exists due to registration (what they call "membership"). Also, price may be lower if you are a student. My sole criticism of Tequipment is that their shipping communication can be a bit flakey, but that's minor in what otherwise has been, for me, a really good company to deal with.

Hioki, by the way, has a serious office in North America (New Jersey, plus a distributor in Canada), and if you call them, they actually answer the telephone and are helpful. Hioki also gives a three year warranty on its multimeters. I'm sufficiently happy with the brand that last week I purchased one of their clamp-on, Hall Effect AC/DC current meters, the CM4371. Both Hioiki meters were purchased from Tequipment.net.

If price is an important issue for you, there's a lot to be said for keeping an eye on Kijiji and E-bay until the right deal comes along.

If I can help further, send me a PM.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:13:32 am by redg »
Interests: electronics for motorcycles, boats, small aircraft & cinema cameras/sound recorders.

Offline redg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 09:51:52 pm »
Interests: electronics for motorcycles, boats, small aircraft & cinema cameras/sound recorders.

Offline irakandjii

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 09:22:18 pm »
I purchased the EEVBlog Breyman directly from the EEVBlog website.  I am in Ottawa Canada.  It arrived in 10 days, no broker fees just GST payable at the door to Canada Post.

I am very pleased with the EEVBlog meter.  Because I "should have" 2 meters I ...

I also purchased a Keysight Multimeter here in Ottawa from Active123.com.   BUT!!!

Important consideration!   

I am doing a lot of stuff in the 250 to 0.5 milliamp range.  Robotics with teensy, edison etc. as controllers.

I originally purchased a Keysight U1233 it was about $150 cdn, that was a mistake!  The U1233 has a gap in the available current ranges, right where I needed it most.  There is no 0-100 mA scale, just 0-1 A, or 0-700 uA hence if you need accuracy in the 100 mA range you are out of luck. 20 mA readings are close to the error range.

I had to upgrade to the U1242C ($349 cdn)  to get the ranges I needed and the functions I wanted.  I like the U1242C but tend to use the EEVBlog meter more!

Cheers and good luck in your hunt.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:26:17 pm by irakandjii »

The following users thanked this post: Scutarius

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 09:32:26 pm »

I went through this exact exercise 3-4 years ago. First step contact Brymen in Taiwan, they tell me Greenlee rebadged units are the official reseller for North America. Greenlee sells the BM869 as the BM860 for nearly 200% markup (actual around 180% if I recall) over TME price. Things may have changed somewhat since then. You can find it at Allied Electronics  and at a  local shop that caters to electricians.

I said piss on that noise, and bought 2 meters from TME. You can buy an 869 or 867 which is cheaper and has nearly all the 869 features and still get another Brymen like dave's rebranded EEVBlog meter and still be ahead of the Greenlee price. For that matter you can get the Brymen now and patrol ebay for a sweet deal on a used Fluke.

The keysight meters never appealed to me and I would especially avoid the OLED one like the plague. Even the LCD ones have problems. Wraper's unit came from that batch that had soldering quality control issues. That was episodic and now fixed, look for his thread for more info. Then there is the recent EMC issues. The good news is that Keysight makes the customer whole after being provoked by bad coverage on this forum, the bad news is that there are the problems on these expensive meters to begin with.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention ridiculously priced LOL

Yeah, I ended up going with daves (brymen bm235) meter even with pst/gst and the $10 customs fee, much happier with that and it also turns out I would have been disappointed with the keysight feature wise. So quite happy with the eevblog brymen!
Gone for good

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 02:15:03 am »
I originally purchased a Keysight U1233 it was about $150 cdn, that was a mistake!  The U1233 has a gap in the available current ranges, right where I needed it most.

Wow, that's quite the oversight!  Flashlight, non contact voltage sensing, low-Z mode, but can't really check a 20mA current loop.   :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf