Author Topic: Hantek HDG2002B AWG: 5Mhz or 100MHz? Let's see!  (Read 243522 times)

Offline mb300sd

• Contributor
Re: Hantek HDG2002B AWG: 5Mhz or 100MHz? Let's see!
« Reply #450 on: February 06, 2015, 12:50:41 am »
I had the same issue with the "recommended" BNC from Mouser (well of course, their pins are just too large) so I ordered pretty much every promising looking specimen from Ebay (spent hours researching). None of them is a good match. In the end I gave up - I already have a counter in my Rigol, never mind an actual HP dual counter with oven plus the 3GHz option.  I thought of hacking it like you did but gave up on that, too much risk of messing it up.

Oh, like you I don't actually _need_ another counter, in fact I have no idea what I'm going to use it for, but that doesn't stop me.

FWIW the part number I used was Tyco 5-1634513-1. The bayonet is at right angles to the others, and the dielectric is clear, so it doesn't look that pretty, but it was a job I really needed to do, my life depended on it, so I did it.  :P

Did yours already contain the surrounding passives, or did you have to add them? Do you mind sharing their values if you did?

Mine looks like this

Offline dkozel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #451 on: February 11, 2015, 09:08:39 am »
Can anyone confirm if it is possible to sync the two output channels and if so, can a phase offset be specified? I'm interested in being able to supply I and Q values to various circuits and the ability to sync the channels is pretty much the only thing holding me back form buying the Hantek.

Thanks!

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #452 on: February 11, 2015, 12:48:17 pm »
I had the same issue with the "recommended" BNC from Mouser (well of course, their pins are just too large) so I ordered pretty much every promising looking specimen from Ebay (spent hours researching). None of them is a good match. In the end I gave up - I already have a counter in my Rigol, never mind an actual HP dual counter with oven plus the 3GHz option.  I thought of hacking it like you did but gave up on that, too much risk of messing it up.

Oh, like you I don't actually _need_ another counter, in fact I have no idea what I'm going to use it for, but that doesn't stop me.

FWIW the part number I used was Tyco 5-1634513-1. The bayonet is at right angles to the others, and the dielectric is clear, so it doesn't look that pretty, but it was a job I really needed to do, my life depended on it, so I did it.  :P

Did yours already contain the surrounding passives, or did you have to add them? Do you mind sharing their values if you did?

Mine looks like this

Sorry I missed your post, I was unexpectedly called away to Dubai last week on a bit of an emergency job.

The passives were indeed installed. When I next take it apart I'll see what I can do: as you know it's a bit more than a five minute job to get down to the LMX5080 area.

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #453 on: February 22, 2015, 07:22:55 am »
I just added the Network parts and the Hi Freq Parts to my Unit and have a couple of questions
after I got it back together I notice the lights do not come on on the RJ45 but I do see a MAC address now in the Network Setup
I would expect that to come on when plunging in a network cable yet it did not.   Do I need to do an ifconfig to see that happen or is something probably wrong?

Next after adding the LMX5080 my Hi Freq counter works fine but not the low freq one where there any other changes needed when adding the LMX5080 that I missed?

TIA
Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

Offline fremen67Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #454 on: February 23, 2015, 12:10:41 am »
I wrote a calibration utility to ease the calibration process of the HDG2000. Not only the way it has to be done with the HDG UI is a real PITA but on top of that if you stop at one point, you have to start over from the beginning.
This tool has been developed with Excel 2010 VBA. That was an easy way of displaying and saving calibration data. It uses the VISA driver layer installed with Agilent Connection Expert that you can download for free (I am using v16.0). So you have to change the HDG USB driver with the one provided by Agilent.
The device used for “calibration” is a Rigol DS1104Z but I guess it could also work with other series. Both the HDG and the DSO must have the same IVI drivers.

The first step is to be able to see your HDG and your DSO with Agilent Connection Expert. You can even give them aliases which would be more convenient than VISA addresses:

When you open the Calibration tools in Excel, the first thing you want to do is to enter the HDG and DSO VISA aliases (or names) and test the connection. This will also return the number of calibration steps your HDG has (that depends on the model and the software version of your HDG):

Then if the connection is OK, you can launch for example a full calibration of a channel  (You have to enter first the DSO channel you are connected to and of course the HDG channel you want to calibrate):

Then you may want to connect the second HDG channel and do the same...
You can also check the calibration of a channel:

If you want more precision for the DC values, you can also enter the 12 DC values manually (Sorry I don't have a SCPI compliant DMM so I did not make it automatic  :-//). You enter the calibration step number you want to measure, activate it, measure the value with your DMM, enter the value in Excel.. and proceed with the next one.
When you are done with your values, you can launch a partial calibration using directly those values from Excel (Don't forget to update the yellow parameters before):

You can also complete automatically the calibration of the remaining AC values by launching a partial calibration:

And finally you can run a partial calibration check with the DSO for example:

You will find this informations in the VBA part but here are the SCPI calibration commands the HDG recognizes:
Code: [Select]
' =============================================================
' List of SCPI Calibration commands extracted from HDG Software
' =============================================================
' CALibration:SOURce    -> CH1 or CH2 as parameter, no return
' CALibration:COUNt?    -> Seems to return the last calibration step +1 i.e 92 for sw 1.00.3 with HDG2102C model
' CALibration:SETup     -> Nr of calibration Step to activate as parameter, returns 0 for unknown Step, 1 for DC value, 2 for AC value
' CALibration:VALue     -> Measured calibration value as parameter, no return
' CALibration?          -> Validate the last value sent for calibration, return 0 (pass) or 1 (failed)
' CALibration:SETup?    -> ? , no return
' CALibration:STORe     -> Store calibration values to file, no return
' CALibration:MEASure?  -> Returns Calibration Voltage and Frequency. Ex: "1.250000, 68000000.000000"

Another command which is usefull is "DISPlay:REFResh". The one they should have used in TTSource ... If you turn off the screensaver, you will be able to follow the output of the HDG during the calibration check process (Can't be used during the calibration process).

That's it. I hope it will work for you. :)
When I have a SCPI compliant bench DMM, I will add the automatic calibration from it for DC values.
Thank you for your feedback!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:47:57 am by fremen67 »
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #455 on: February 23, 2015, 01:08:23 am »
I just added the Network parts and the Hi Freq Parts to my Unit and have a couple of questions
after I got it back together I notice the lights do not come on on the RJ45 but I do see a MAC address now in the Network Setup
I would expect that to come on when plunging in a network cable yet it did not.
The green light should be on when the cable is connected. Do you have a message in the serial console when you plug a cable? Something like
dm9000 dm9000: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1and something like this when you unplug it:
dm9000 dm9000: eth0: link downI would bet on a bad solder as the lan jack is powered by the DM9000AEP through the H1102NL magnetics. Do you have any pictures of both side of the lan area?

Do I need to do an ifconfig to see that happen or is something probably wrong?
ifconfig is already called in /dso/etc/boot.sh:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.127 up
#/etc/init.d/nfs.sh &
#telnetd &
So your IP is already set. You will have to uncomment the telnet line to activate it and if you want to connect to a nfs server, you will also have to uncomment the nfs line and modify nfs.sh script.

Next after adding the LMX5080 my Hi Freq counter works fine but not the low freq one where there any other changes needed when adding the LMX5080 that I missed?
Any picture of that area? I attached the one I took from this area. The components where already installed.
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #456 on: February 23, 2015, 04:16:51 am »
@fremen67
Thankyou very much for posting the automation script for the calibration

Here's two images for the top and bottom of the counter

Here's the Top of the Counter

And the Bottom of the counter

I'll get the others here soon as I can
Sandra

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #457 on: February 25, 2015, 11:18:01 pm »
@fremen67
I've never used the Agilnet Connection Manager before
How do I get the agilent drivers for the hdg and dso1074 installed?  I have the rigol ones but you mention using the agilent ones

Sandra

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #458 on: February 27, 2015, 12:10:09 am »
@fremen67
I've never used the Agilnet Connection Manager before
How do I get the agilent drivers for the hdg and dso1074 installed?  I have the rigol ones but you mention using the agilent ones
You just have to install the Agilent (Keysight) IO Libraries Suite. It is now v17.1 and I had v16.3. I just tested with the new version without any problem. You will find it here:
http://www.keysight.com/en/pd-1985909/io-libraries-suite?&cc=FR&lc=fre

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:12:29 am by fremen67 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #459 on: February 27, 2015, 09:48:58 pm »
Here is a link to my OneDrive:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=C666E0DC0AF0C9E2!114&authkey=!AMtRrjm2d33uI8Q&ithint=folder%2c

You will find several "upgrade" scripts which you can run from a USB stick, that is whitout opening the case:
- firmware upgrade from 1.00.2 to 1.00.3 (or 1.00.3 back to 1.00.2)
- backup scripts
- model change from HDG2002B to HDG2102C

Have a look at the readme files.

Enjoy!

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #460 on: March 02, 2015, 06:56:12 pm »
I wrote a calibration utility to ease the calibration process of the HDG2000. Not only the way it has to be done with the HDG UI is a real PITA but on top of that if you stop at one point, you have to start over from the beginning.
This tool has been developed with Excel 2010 VBA. Thank you for your feedback!

Brilliant!

It's running now. Takes a while, but a lot less error prone than doing it manually.

I had one error in the VBA: I am running Offfice 2013 on Windows 8.1 64 bit, I had an error on the kernel32 Sleep function to do with running on a 64 bit system, it needed a PtrSafe atttribute to make it run.

That'll save a few hours of my life, and I might even have a go and see if I can figure out some of this GPIB voodoo for myself now.

Thanks again!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #461 on: March 03, 2015, 01:45:14 am »
It's running now. Takes a while, but a lot less error prone than doing it manually.

I had one error in the VBA: I am running Offfice 2013 on Windows 8.1 64 bit, I had an error on the kernel32 Sleep function to do with running on a 64 bit system, it needed a PtrSafe atttribute to make it run.

That'll save a few hours of my life, and I might even have a go and see if I can figure out some of this GPIB voodoo for myself now.

Thanks again!
You're welcome!  ;)
If you can send me your excel file, I could modify the initial code so that it works with more windows/Office versions...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:51:05 am by fremen67 »

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #462 on: March 06, 2015, 12:24:25 am »
Here is a link to my OneDrive:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=C666E0DC0AF0C9E2!114&authkey=!AMtRrjm2d33uI8Q&ithint=folder%2c

You will find several "upgrade" scripts which you can run from a USB stick, that is whitout opening the case:
- firmware upgrade from 1.00.2 to 1.00.3 (or 1.00.3 back to 1.00.2)
- backup scripts
- model change from HDG2002B to HDG2102C

Have a look at the readme files.

Enjoy!

Hi Fremen,

i tried your 1.00.3 update package on my HDG2002B (PCB 1004, SW 1.00.2, FPGA 20, KB 3) and my generator started to improperly read signal amplitude setting and to fail output & zoom steps on selftest.

Previously selftest was fully OK.

Reverting to 1.00.2 did not solved self test errors, while signal amplitude is almost right.

Do you have any suggestion to fix it ?

Useless to say, i have not done FW backup before to upgrade  |O

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #463 on: March 06, 2015, 02:50:11 am »
FWIW
My HDG2002B with that came with the 1.03 and it fails the self test for the zoom unit 1 I think on both channels
you can see my posts earlier on it with screen shots so that part is known.  I thought I had a defective unit but now I believe it's a bug in 1.03
Sandra

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #464 on: March 06, 2015, 09:37:56 am »
-snip

Regarding the Self Test, apart from the 4 first steps which are succesfull, the 6 last steps are failing... but I did not see anything wrong during the time I played with the HDG.
I will perform a full calibration on both channels and will try again later on.

Edit: No failures anymore during the selftest after a calibration of both channels  :)

Same situation here, but with PCB ver 1004 (not 1004.1), i will try a calibration.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #465 on: March 06, 2015, 04:57:43 pm »
Hi Fremen,

i tried your 1.00.3 update package on my HDG2002B (PCB 1004, SW 1.00.2, FPGA 20, KB 3) and my generator started to improperly read signal amplitude setting and to fail output & zoom steps on selftest.

Previously selftest was fully OK.

Reverting to 1.00.2 did not solved self test errors, while signal amplitude is almost right.

Do you have any suggestion to fix it ?

Useless to say, i have not done FW backup before to upgrade  |O

The calibration data are completely different beetween 1.00.2 and 1.00.3.
In fact I had exactly the same problem when I upgraded to 1.00.3. I suppose it's coming from the calibration data provided with 1.00.3.
The problem was solved after a full calibration.
I suggest you run a full calibration too. What kind of scope do you have? At least if you don't have a rigol ds1000Z, you can use the exel calibration tool I posted to ease the calibration process.
If your scope is SCPI compliant, the calibration tool could easily be adapted.

Edit: The calibration data file for fw 1.00.3 has no values after 30Mhz. So if you changed your device model, f.e. to HDG2102C, you will have anyway to perform a calibration of both channels.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:28:14 pm by fremen67 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #466 on: March 06, 2015, 05:00:23 pm »
FWIW
My HDG2002B with that came with the 1.03 and it fails the self test for the zoom unit 1 I think on both channels
you can see my posts earlier on it with screen shots so that part is known.  I thought I had a defective unit but now I believe it's a bug in 1.03
Did you manage to use the calibration tool? I think it could be worth running a full calibration of your unit. This solved the selftest problem on mine.

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #467 on: March 06, 2015, 05:50:48 pm »
Did you manage to use the calibration tool? I think it could be worth running a full calibration of your unit. This solved the selftest problem on mine.

I have not run it yet.  Not had the time or a PC near the equipment.   I was trying to get the Connection Manager to work over the network and it won't see my Rigol Scope at all.  But that won't help with the HDG so need to see how I'd get USB going or move stuff closer to the PC
Sandra

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #468 on: March 06, 2015, 07:10:04 pm »
I get an error when running your script on a 64bit PC/Excell

I found this on the errors which is basically Declares must be changed as well as some Longs to be compatible with 64Bit Systems
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ee691831%28v=office.14%29.aspx

I made a change which seems to work.  at least I don't get the error anymore but I've not run it for real yet.

Changed
Private Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)
to
#If VBA7 Then
    Private Declare PtrSafe Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As LongPtr) 'For 64 Bit Systems
#Else
    Private Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds as Long) 'For 32 Bit Systems
#End If
Sandra

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #469 on: March 06, 2015, 08:11:40 pm »
I get an error when running your script on a 64bit PC/Excell

I found this on the errors which is basically Declares must be changed as well as some Longs to be compatible with 64Bit Systems
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ee691831%28v=office.14%29.aspx

I made a change which seems to work.  at least I don't get the error anymore but I've not run it for real yet.

Changed
Private Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)
to
#If VBA7 Then
    Private Declare PtrSafe Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As LongPtr) 'For 64 Bit Systems
#Else
    Private Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds as Long) 'For 32 Bit Systems
#End If

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I used a 32bits version of Office 2010 and you are right , the declaration of "Sleep" which I used in the scripts have to be modified to work on both 32/64 bits versions. In fact we have to use the "Win64" compilation constant rather than the "VBA7" compilation constant (wich will always be true in Office 2010),  otherwise the modification will only work on office 64bits:

#If Win64 Then
#Else
#End If

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #470 on: March 06, 2015, 08:22:20 pm »

> What kind of scope do you have? At least if you don't have a rigol ds1000Z, you can use the exel calibration tool ...

Hi fremen,

i do have a DS1074Z and i'm going to follow your suggestion using your tool to calibrate the generator, i have to prepare a pc with the necessary software.

Thanks for your attention :-)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #471 on: March 06, 2015, 08:43:04 pm »

> What kind of scope do you have? At least if you don't have a rigol ds1000Z, you can use the exel calibration tool ...

Hi fremen,

i do have a DS1074Z and i'm going to follow your suggestion using your tool to calibrate the generator, i have to prepare a pc with the necessary software.

You are welcome  ;)
In fact the excel tool was meant to be a prototype. May be should I port it to .Net so that it would be easier to use as a standalone application.

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #472 on: March 07, 2015, 12:58:27 am »

Hi fremen,

You are welcome  ;)
In fact the excel tool was meant to be a prototype. May be should I port it to .Net so that it would be easier to use as a standalone application.

That would be cool
one comment would be if possible make it so the user could enter thier SCPI commands into a dialog so maybe it could support more scopes and maybe a DMM.   I have a Rigol DM3068 I could test with for you.
Sandra

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #473 on: March 07, 2015, 01:32:40 am »
UPDATE :

i just completed a manual calibration round for channel one (a huge PITA at best), now self test is GO !

For channel two i will go with fremen script as soon as i will be ready with "SW platform" :-)

@fremen67 : 67 is your year of birth ?

Offline Bryan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #474 on: March 07, 2015, 08:10:11 pm »

Want to play?
Just connect your USB to TTL interface to the board (the one you used for your Hantek MSO/DSO hack, and yes on the same pins), start your console (Kitty or whatever you like) and power up! Go to /etc if you have software 1.00.1 or /dso/root if you have software 1.00.2, edit system.inf and replace HDG2002B with HDG2102C, save, reboot (if you don't manually reboot after the system.inf modification, you will lose the modification after the next Power OFF/ Power ON)… and that’s it.

Curious as if the above hack will still work with the current HDG2002B models for sale.
-=Bryan=-

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf