Author Topic: Hacking the HDO1k/HDO4k Rigol 12 bit scope  (Read 181869 times)

Offline Domitronic

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hacking the HDO1k/HDO4k Rigol 12 bit scope
« Reply #200 on: November 09, 2022, 02:37:58 pm »

There are no HDO1000 to be bought at all anywhere.. Production ramp up problems?

They might suffer the same supply chain issues as many other companies. And if the components are mostly the same for 2 products I would use them for the one with higher profit margin. So HDO4k might be preferred over HDO1k.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, 2N3055

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #201 on: November 09, 2022, 10:20:00 pm »
where would they keep the ADC calibration data, if there's any? some eeprom or flash storage?

Flash or FRAM that tv84 posted above.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: bob808

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #202 on: November 10, 2022, 04:45:40 am »
Correct me but the only 1000 we´ve seen was the one that Dave got.
i received my HDO1074 from Valuetronics in the US

The following users thanked this post: skander36, Martin72

Offline bob808

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #203 on: November 10, 2022, 05:06:15 am »
Are you opening it?

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #204 on: November 10, 2022, 09:09:24 am »
I received my HDO1074 from Valuetronics in the US

Perfect!
Please let us know if the "upgrade" method from this thread is working.

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #205 on: November 10, 2022, 09:38:00 am »

I'm looking for HDO1000  UART decoder "review", in particular working with zoomed capture, it would be great if you could publish some screens and share your opinion about this functionality in main thread.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #206 on: November 10, 2022, 03:01:10 pm »

I'm looking for HDO1000  UART decoder "review", in particular working with zoomed capture, it would be great if you could publish some screens and share your opinion about this functionality in main thread.
I spent about 1 hour trying to make it decode anything and was not able to make it work... even had some hangs and reboots.  I have the MSO5074 and using the same decode parameters it decodes correctly, but HDO1074 returns garbage.  Will test more during the weekend.  One annoying bug I found: If you change the timebase and starts scrolling, it disables decoding

EDIT: I made it decode by setting the threshold to above 3V (for a 5V UART signal).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 02:22:38 pm by TK »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, thm_w, 2N3055, maxwell3e10, Jacon

Offline oliv3rTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
« Reply #207 on: November 10, 2022, 03:03:35 pm »
Gee whizz, I certainly missed a lot :D I'll update the starting post with some key things written here :)

I already requested the GPL source code for both these scopes.
No response at all yet :(

They never responded to our MSO5000 requests years ago, they dont care.
Sure they did, I've had it for years now, and published the important bits https://gitlab.com/riglol/rigolee/u-boot and https://gitlab.com/riglol/rigolee/linux with tons of interesting branches :) I started a thread even about this https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/zynq-700-based-rigol-software-development-(mso5k-ds7k-mso8k-and-probably-more)/ :p

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #208 on: November 10, 2022, 03:19:38 pm »

I spent about 1 hour trying to make it decode anything and was not able to make it work... even had some hangs and reboots.  I have the MSO5074 and using the same decode parameters it decodes correctly, but HDO1074 returns garbage.  Will test more during the weekend.  One annoying bug I found: If you change the timebase and starts scrolling, it disables decoding

Hi TK!
could you please tell us if decode/list window can be resized/moved from unusable layout shown in manual (side by side windows and weird list box) ?

Thanks!

Sinisa

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: November 10, 2022, 03:36:22 pm »
Will test more during the weekend.  One annoying bug I found: If you change the timebase and starts scrolling, it disables decoding

Once again, Rigol seems to have released a device whose best purpose is to measure its noise floor...

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #210 on: November 10, 2022, 03:52:54 pm »
Will test more during the weekend.  One annoying bug I found: If you change the timebase and starts scrolling, it disables decoding

Once again, Rigol seems to have released a device whose best purpose is to measure its noise floor...
Well, it's not unreasonable to have an analog signal focused scope, it doesn't even have an MSO option. And it seems the new R&S MXO4 has not done much better on initial tests. But now I am in limbo, have to wait for updated versions.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 04:00:54 pm by maxwell3e10 »

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #211 on: November 10, 2022, 05:31:07 pm »
Hmm, buggy behaviour of the HDO1k doesn't bode well for the HDO4k...more expensive, more half-finished features, more bugs? Time will tell.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #212 on: November 10, 2022, 07:20:06 pm »

Well, it's not unreasonable to have an analog signal focused scope, it doesn't even have an MSO option. And it seems the new R&S MXO4 has not done much better on initial tests. But now I am in limbo, have to wait for updated versions.

Not having MSO is bad enough, but not to have functional decoders while claiming they are there is just lame.

The R&S is actually a poster boy of bad practice lately in "Big Brand" crowd. They released RTB2000/RTM3000/RTA4000 equally non finished. It seems they try to lead by bad example here.

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #213 on: November 11, 2022, 01:42:44 am »

Damn, this is a huge show stopper ...  :-\

It seems that this scope line does make use of complete different software platform compared to MSO5000.

Thank you for the test, i'll wait your WE testing update.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #214 on: November 11, 2022, 01:54:03 am »

Hi TK!
could you please tell us if decode/list window can be resized/moved from unusable layout shown in manual (side by side windows and weird list box) ?

Thanks!

Sinisa
Tested a bit more, it looks like you can only have a side by side or top / bottom layout.  Event table is kind of mandatory as the way protocol decoding info is displayed in the waveform is kind of hard to read the values of the frames.  If I want to take advantage of the full sample memory, stop and zoom to decode, I cannot do it... as soon as I change the timebase, it says TOO MANY EVENTS or something like that and it does not decode. If I set it to a timebase where it still decodes, the update rate is like 1Hz... for a 115,200 baud rate UART decoding!!!  No wonder why it hangs with a 45MHz SPI signal... and it does not even decode correctly the frames.  I really cannot understand Rigol, they did not do the basic testing before releasing the scope, like someone sitting with the scope and testing it?????

I've been busy with work so had only like 1-2 hour total to play with the scope, but will try make more tests during the weekend.

EDIT (TOO MANY EVENTS): The message I get is "There are too many results".  You can stop and zoom and get the packets.  But it works only up to 20ms timebase.  If you want to set 50ms or higher, then it says Operation Disabled.  Still a lot of freeze/reboot issues.

EDIT 2: Created new HDO1000 BUGs topic. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-hdo1000-12-bit-dso-bugs/
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 03:48:10 pm by TK »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, 2N3055, Martin72, oliv3r, EL_ID_ioT

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #215 on: November 11, 2022, 07:51:32 am »
The R&S is actually a poster boy of bad practice lately in "Big Brand" crowd. They released RTB2000/RTM3000/RTA4000 equally non finished. It seems they try to lead by bad example here.

My MXO4 serial decoding locked up on first use. They have fixed it though, it was a rather obscure bug where I was adjusting the baud rate too fast and having something else on.
Around 6:40 is the problem

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, TK

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #216 on: November 11, 2022, 07:52:53 am »

Hi TK!

Thanks!

Sinisa
Tested a bit more, it looks like you can only have a side by side or top / bottom layout.  Event table is kind of mandatory as the way protocol decoding info is displayed in the waveform is kind of hard to read the values of the frames.  If I want to take advantage of the full sample memory, stop and zoom to decode, I cannot do it... as soon as I change the timebase, it says TOO MANY EVENTS or something like that and it does not decode. If I set it to a timebase where it still decodes, the update rate is like 1Hz... for a 115,200 baud rate UART decoding!!!  No wonder why it hangs with a 45MHz SPI signal... and it does not even decode correctly the frames.  I really cannot understand Rigol, they did not do the basic testing before releasing the scope, like someone sitting with the scope and testing it?????

I'll have to play with the serial decoding and try and replicate. Couple of other videos to finish first though.

The following users thanked this post: TK

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2022, 08:29:28 am »

My MXO4 serial decoding locked up on first use. They have fixed it though, it was a rather obscure bug where I was adjusting the baud rate too fast and having something else on.

Dave Jones, the fastest scope button of the West...  :-DD
(with a smoke slowly rising from the scope front panel ..)

Offline deltagamma

« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2022, 02:02:39 pm »

FWIW, I've been playing around with an R&S MXO4 for the past two days and have had the acquisition system stop acquiring samples under certain circumstances - much like what you were seeing in your video. All channels seem dead/frozen. This has happened 6 times so far and the only solution is a power-cycle. It seems to happen when you change the samples/sec setting rapidly (either directly through the acquisition menu using the knob, or indirectly via other actions like changing the sweep rate back and forth). I also had the UI crash once. I'm not sure what caused that, but it happened about a second after I turned on the spectrum window. In this case, the entire screen was frozen (including the clock in the corner) and all buttons - including power - were non-functional.

...And I've noticed at least another half-dozen minor UI bugs, like for example - where the measurement statistics table is not properly exposed when you turn it on and the only way to get it show is to toggle it off/on in the measurement menu.

Clearly the firmware isn't quite ready for prime-time.

On the other hand, even with the bugs, it's an amazing scope. The spectrum display, in particular, is probably the best I've seen on any scope regardless of price. Incredibly fast and behaves like a high end spectrum analyzer. It's such a huge contrast to the toy "math" FFTs found on most other scopes.

A bit off-topic for this thread - sorry.

The following users thanked this post: maxwell3e10

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2022, 02:15:34 pm »
The spectrum display, in particular, is probably the best I've seen on any scope regardless of price. Incredibly fast and behaves like a high end spectrum analyzer. It's such a huge contrast to the toy "math" FFTs found on most other scopes.
Do you have a screenshot?

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #220 on: November 11, 2022, 02:29:18 pm »
 :wtf: This thread is about hacking a Rigol scope. Why continue debating a R&S scope?

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, oliv3r, EL_ID_ioT

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2022, 02:32:01 pm »
:wtf: This thread is about hacking a Rigol scope. Why continue debating a R&S scope?
I agree. There is a separate topic dedicated to that new R&S.
And also a very unusually targeted 1st post..

Offline deltagamma

« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2022, 02:45:46 pm »

There is? Are you referring to the "First picture on EEVblog ..." thread? That one seems dead. In any case, I was replying to Dave. Sorry for the OT post.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2022, 03:14:29 pm »

There is? Are you referring to the "First picture on EEVblog ..." thread? That one seems dead. In any case, I was replying to Dave. Sorry for the OT post.
Don't worry. Hope you don't get offended either.
No matter if there were no posts for few weeks.  There would have been if all the ones writing about it elsewhere posted there.. :-)
I for one would be interested in more details. You can also open a new topic and post a small review if you have time for it...

The following users thanked this post: maxwell3e10, deltagamma

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #224 on: November 11, 2022, 03:47:30 pm »
I opened a new Topic where we can discuss the HDO1000 BUGs

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-hdo1000-12-bit-dso-bugs/

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, Martin72, oliv3r

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf