Author Topic: FSP30/40 embedded windows xp for spectrum analyzer.  (Read 6771 times)

Offline g7kbr67Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
FSP30/40 embedded windows xp for spectrum analyzer.
« on: November 24, 2022, 07:32:45 am »
Hi All

My last Plea for help, I have posted a couple of emails about the issue.  The Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.   I took the top off and I have a Compact Flash drive with the following information on it. Part No. 1303.0417.07, Flash Disk for R&S FSP with Windows XP.

I don't have a Windows build embedded XP disk, or the analyzers build software and R&S have told me they can't help.  If only I had a friend who works in their repair\service department.

Could I just install a standard Windows XP build and install the firmware which I believe is still on the R&S website?  https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/firmware/fsp40/

I would need to know on the old drive as I can still read the drive if I put it in a caddy, where the calibration data is for it.

Otherwise, the unit is a dustbin job.

Any help would be much apricated.

Regards

Paul P

Offline Qw3rtzuiop

• Regular Contributor
Re: FSP30/40 embedded windows xp for spectrum analyzer.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 08:41:14 am »
Hi,
i dont have a solution but two links that maybe help you.
There is an FSP xp image on KO4BB http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=Rohde_Schwarz/Rohde_Schwarz_FSP
The other one is the a link to archive.org where someone uploaded the xp embedded installer disks https://archive.org/details/XPESP2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 09:51:03 am »
I did find the files in http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=Rohde_Schwarz/Rohde_Schwarz_FSP

Not sure if they are both the same, one is an ISO and the other is a TIB file.

The embedded XP link, not sure how this complies?  I see there is a A, B, C file,

Any help would be much appricated.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 10:07:26 am »
Windows XP embedded is not just something you install from CD. It's made to be customized by an OEM and then a custom build with all the drivers and software included is deployed to the device. So your hope is either finding the original XPe build by R&S or see if the software works with regular Windows XP and if you can find the drivers.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 10:12:57 am »
Hi ALM

So, do you know if the link http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=Rohde_Schwarz/Rohde_Schwarz_FSP well the http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=download&file=Rohde_Schwarz/Rohde_Schwarz_FSP/Rohde_Schwarz_FSP_Spectrum_Analyzer_Disk_Image_NT4_2.80SP3.zip  is a TIB file, which is a different image build.  Looks like I might need to buy the complier software.

Thanks for your info on the windows XP, looks like this might be imposable to fix.

Regards

Paul

Offline Qw3rtzuiop

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 10:14:24 am »
Not sure if they are both the same, one is an ISO and the other is a TIB file.
The nt image is in the .tib file. It should be an Acronis Backup. There are free Acronis Versions available from Western Digital and Crucial.
The other file is a windows xp image.

The embedded XP link, not sure how this complies?  I see there is a A, B, C file,
The three file are .iso images of the installation disks.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 01:16:49 pm by Qw3rtzuiop »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 12:28:14 pm »
The Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.
Damaged registry...
Run "chkdsk /f LETTER:"
I'd make a drive image with Clonezilla / Acronis / Acronis etc.
Copy the CONFIG folder just in case you want to restore something (Without having to restore the whole image).

Now, proceed restoring that file:
- From a restore point (system volume information\rpN\snapshot), where highest N means latest backup.
- If restore was disabled and there're no backups, you can still try with the files at system32/config/regback.

Edit: Found a video doing it:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 12:39:44 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 12:47:15 pm »
This looks good.  But I can't go forward with the r (repair) as I need the windows disk. I have no windows embedded XP disk.  I do have a USB drive I can connect but not sure what I need to do now?

See attached screen from FSP40.  If I press R it just loops back.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 01:14:18 pm by g7kbr67 »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 01:13:40 pm »
an xp embedded is what i could call a "slimmed down to the max" of a normal windows xp,  install a normal windows xp instead, the hardware should support it anyway

Use an XP Sp3  installation 

When windows boot  even with some missing equipment drivers, you'll have the base  to work with, the worst would be the screen configs ...

With the given images  try to recover the missing drivers and complete your windows installation

When you should normally succeed,  you remove all the xp unneeded crap

Done it a few times, it's time consuming but as a last resort .... when you don't get  what you need  ...  for some screen configs i forcibly added a 640x480 16 color screen config in windows

good luck

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 01:16:47 pm »
This is the now the unit's power on information, this was a few weeks ago. I have copied the original Flash card, with R & S files etc.

Regards

Paul

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 01:19:36 pm »
you miss some  essential components to make windows boot further

as i wrote before,  use an normal windows xp setup  ....

or use this  link  to get an embedded sp2 iso,  its an 3 part   
https://archive.org/details/XPESP2

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2022, 01:33:48 pm »
Just plug the drive in any computer.
Or use any Windows CD, you only need the recovery console, not restoring Windows files .

Error 7B means it can't access the storage controller (missing driver, probably).
If that thing has BIOS, check if it has ahci/ide mode switching, just revert it when booting the original drive.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 01:37:06 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 01:54:29 pm »
Hi I do have that file (https://archive.org/details/XPESP2) and see it has an A, B, C, can you advice how a build this correctly.  Is it just one of the ISO's in the folder I need/

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2022, 03:21:13 pm »
If i recall   you need to make 3 cd roms

the A is the installer  and the other 2  are options and or packages   i think

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 04:13:42 pm »
Built the 3 disks but A won't boot.  Tried the other two but they won't boot.  I have a windows XP build disk which I am sure will boot, but how it will affect the FSP40?

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2022, 04:34:06 pm »
argh    there was some  cd's  with no boot sectors

You had to boot with floppies instead,    with UltraIso, you can extract the boot sector and integrate it to another iso disc, to make it bootable

I did it for oldies like win95 win98   etc ... to get rid of the darn floppies  loll

thats why i told you about a normal Xp installation,   when its possible   you   extract  the equipment backup / clone  image(s)  windows / system  folder location and put it into an usb key, and most of the time when windows need the drivers  you make it search the usb key for the drivers

Drivers come with inf,  cat,  dll's,  and other files,  backing up  "system" folder can help recover an unit  before it crash  ...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 04:38:44 pm by coromonadalix »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2022, 08:51:26 am »
Hi Ok, I now will go for the windows XP build, I have copied the micro Flash card and have the drivers etc.  But for some reason with my USB DVD rom drive I don't seem to be abable to start the CDROM.  Get the " Boot from CD :

I am sure previously I was able to boot using a XP build disc.

See screenshot

I am one who doesn't want to give up and put the FSP40 in the skip.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2022, 05:58:47 pm »
normally at this message you have to push a keyboard   "enter"    to start installation,   i never found a way to get over this ??  but never done  a good search for this problem

Some talk here about this :
https://superuser.com/questions/490532/can-i-boot-format-and-install-windows-xp-without-a-keyboard

You can add an powered usb hub,  with your external cd-rom and a keyboard, and a mouse, some of them will work at boot ....   some mouse too

Microsoft keyboards and mouse usually work the best   .... at bios level   BUT    be sure you have keyboard enabled in the bios  ....

Not sure if this machine has  ps2 keyboard and or mouse plug(s)

Do not desperate, it can take time ....    to get it right

Check if your bios  has the option to boot from cd-rom,   but it seems to work already   from you photo

« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 06:04:12 pm by coromonadalix »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2022, 02:11:44 pm »
Hi coromonadalix

I have good news, my FSP40, has windows XP on a SATA drive I installed.  The Flash card installed was only 32MB and I thought as I had a spare SATA I would install that.

So it boots into windows I have a couple of hardware errors mainly connected with the motherboard inside.  I have a copy of the orginal flashcard with a C and a D drive.  But I am not sure how I install the R & S user interface for the SA.  Any advice on this part.

See attached photos.

Regards

Paul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2022, 02:12:23 pm »
Hardware profile of FSP40

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2022, 02:48:58 pm »
So instead of trying the easy, simple way, copying the SYSTEM file from the restore point folder to system32, you reinstalled the whole thing  :-//
Did you made backup or not?

Luckly most people don't scrap the car for a flat tire.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 02:54:38 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2022, 04:17:08 pm »
@DavidAlfa    Dont too critical,  the OP may or may not have experiece,  but he's getting somewhere now

@g7kbr67   if you have the system folder backup  and or the iso file of your equipment and extracted the same folder

With windows devices manager on each error  you can do an automatic or manual search for the drivers, DO A MANUAL search and point  where you have stored the repertory / files

It should be able to see and install the needed files   BUT sometimes     you need all the files and subdirectories of the system folder to be at the same place / in the same folder  for all the *.cat, *.dll's, *.inf, *.sys files  etc ...

Xp can do a search for drivers   but can be stupid at times ....

In the system properties   wich version of XP do you have, is it SP1 SP2 ???    you have a package update of XP SP3  available  to download
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_xp_service_pack_3.html

Install it  and reboot before going further,  it resolve a few things and upgrade some component BUT an XP SP2 windows is usually fine with equipment  IF  you do not let it go on the internet, if it has an network port on it

Since XP  is outdated and not secure in anyways for web stuff   but useful in a closed  network
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 04:21:05 pm by coromonadalix »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2022, 04:37:11 pm »
Hi

I have the following on the flash drive, I have not cleared that down.  All I have done is install a SATA drive and build windows xp and that all.  I have the following on the flash drive see from screenshot.

I can copy the flash card both C and D onto a DVD for safe keeping.

Regards

Paul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2022, 04:38:03 pm »
Hi

Can you confirm the location of the restore folder?

Regards

Paul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2022, 04:43:03 pm »
Hi coromonadalix

I have installed on the SATA drive windows pro and the SP2.

In the hardware profile, the only issues I can see are the motherboard drivers for interfaces, but will this cause issues with the FSP40.

The other thing I notice people are advising is to recover the restore point system to the system 32 folder, not sure the location of the retore point.

Regards

Paul

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf