Author Topic: Fluke 189 with leaking surface mount supercap (also Fluke 287, Fluke 289)  (Read 158116 times)

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Fluke 189 with leaking surface mount coin cell
« Reply #150 on: February 27, 2014, 01:03:47 pm »
Just had a look in my 287 - some signs of corrosion on the cap

Great.  I tried to order the Elna part to replace my capacitor (small type, like Mike's picture above) and Digi-Key and Mouser are  out of stock.

The Panasonic part is only available in quantities of 2000 or more.

Are those the only choices?

For the larger cap used in the 189 and 89-V,  is the parts situation any better?    I may have missed it, but I haven't seen any recommended part numbers to replace this one.

Do I need to unsolder it and check underneath, or would leakage be visible from the top?

Maybe I'll make a Wiki page about this to summarize all the information and ask Dave to add it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 02:00:13 am by Excavatoree »

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Fluke 189 with leaking surface mount supercap (also Fluke 287, Fluke 289)
« Reply #151 on: February 27, 2014, 03:00:14 pm »
Have the same problem.

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2014, 07:10:33 pm »
Great.  I tried to order the Elna part to replace my capacitor (small type, like Mike's picture above) and Digi-Key and Mouser are  out of stock.

Just get this instead: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/DSK-3R3H224U-HL/604-1020-1-ND/970232

Very slightly taller, but with 0.22F instead of the original 0.20F, and same footprint as the original.

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #153 on: February 27, 2014, 08:00:15 pm »

Just get this instead: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/DSK-3R3H224U-HL/604-1020-1-ND/970232

Very slightly taller, but with 0.22F instead of the original 0.20F, and same footprint as the original.

Why not this?

http://export.farnell.com/taiyo-yuden/pas414hr-va5r/cap-super-60000uf-3-3v-smd/dp/2112777

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2014, 01:19:45 am »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2014, 02:04:59 am »

Whats wrong with the CDE cap that I proposed earlier at post #38 ? DK part no 338-3477-ND and its available.

Panasonic cap is not even in the same league when it comes to reliability and long term life compared to this one.

Though you will need to bend it's pin to fit in the foot print, but not a big deal imo.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:09:06 am by BravoV »

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2014, 03:47:31 am »

Whats wrong with the CDE cap that I proposed earlier at post #38 ? DK part no 338-3477-ND and its available.

Panasonic cap is not even in the same league when it comes to reliability and long term life compared to this one.

Though you will need to bend it's pin to fit in the foot print, but not a big deal imo.

Ah, I forgot.  That's one reason I thought it might be better to put a summary of such information in one place.  When it's spread out over several pages in a thread, things can get lost.

Offline elex_enthusiast

• Regular Contributor
  • Everything has user-salvageable parts inside!!!!
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2014, 04:04:29 am »

60000uf is only .06F, about 30% as much capacitance as the original.
[/quote]

will it affect the performance of the meter? i have the same cap stocked on my bin and i thought of using it to replace the bad cap on my meter..
Always learn how to break and fix things electronics!

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2014, 05:03:08 am »
will it affect the performance of the meter?

No, that cap's purpose is just as a backup power for the dmm's clock & calendar during the batteries swapping period.

Not a very serious problem imo, especially you rarely use the logging feature.

Just make sure the new replacement cap has low leakage, other wise it will drain the batteries power even its powered off, as the example of the original cap does when its deteriorated.  :-[

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2014, 05:46:52 am »
I think it’s not a problem to leave it out, if you don’t need the clock and calendar when swapping batteries.

Offline elex_enthusiast

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2014, 06:05:44 am »
will it affect the performance of the meter?

No, that cap's purpose is just as a backup power for the dmm's clock & calendar during the batteries swapping period.

Not a very serious problem imo, especially you rarely use the logging feature.

Just make sure the new replacement cap has low leakage, other wise it will drain the batteries power even its powered off, as the example of the original cap does when its deteriorated.  :-[

yeah i seldom use its logging feature..i only use the meter to measure parameters of the projects im working in my bench..i just want to be sure that replacing the bad cap with a lower capacitance wont affect the performance of my meter since i dont have any reference service manual..does anyone here did the same thing??

i was wondering why fluke didnt use a standard CMOS batterry instead of those shitty caps  to back-up the date/time of the meter :-//.. does it makes any difference?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2014, 10:36:26 am »
The cap has no effect on meter performance.  It only holds the date/time/backlight settings, no cal data.

Offline t95mwp

Hi folks,I replaced mine capacitor on 189 after it died and never come back alive. Anything else known wrong with this meter,yes I installed capacitor right and new fresh batteries  :). Thanks

Offline elex_enthusiast

• Regular Contributor
The cap has no effect on meter performance.  It only holds the date/time/backlight settings, no cal data.
indeed.. i have replaced mine with a 0.06F bnew cap and it worked fine..thanks for the advice..this time the date/clock remains after i remove the battery for 10-15 sec...

Offline elex_enthusiast

• Regular Contributor
Hi folks,I replaced mine capacitor on 189 after it died and never come back alive. Anything else known wrong with this meter,yes I installed capacitor right and new fresh batteries  :). Thanks

maybe the supercap is not an issue with your dmm..have you checked the board..?

Offline Marvin

• Contributor
This is interesting - I received my brand new 289 with manufacturer date of 30. Sept 2013 and it has calibration count of 2! It was not 100% official channel but a reliable seller from eBay and it really looks like it was brand new in box - and the box serial/manufacturing date stickers and all match. Could it be that it was manufactured on that date and then when the capacitor issue became public a week later they already refitted the fix in it or this is just some strange coincidence it coming out of factory with 2 calibrations? Can't open it up to see the soldering on the capacitor as the case is closed with a tamperproof sticker and I don't want to invalidate it.

Got to love friends who visit USA once and a while and agree to bring stuff over the pond in their bags :)

Offline t95mwp

maybe the supercap is not an issue with your dmm..have you checked the board..?

It was bad definitely,it started with would not turn on all the time and by changing batteries would fix the problem for the while then  finally died.Board is super clean no damage of leaking and I installed new capacitor that was purchased form digi-key and recommended here on the board.

Offline smoothtalker

• Regular Contributor
This is interesting - I received my brand new 289 with manufacturer date of 30. Sept 2013 and it has calibration count of 2! It was not 100% official channel but a reliable seller from eBay and it really looks like it was brand new in box - and the box serial/manufacturing date stickers and all match. Could it be that it was manufactured on that date and then when the capacitor issue became public a week later they already refitted the fix in it or this is just some strange coincidence it coming out of factory with 2 calibrations? Can't open it up to see the soldering on the capacitor as the case is closed with a tamperproof sticker and I don't want to invalidate it.

Got to love friends who visit USA once and a while and agree to bring stuff over the pond in their bags :)

your best bet is to check with fluke directly! email them the serial number.

Anyway i don't think the super capacitor affects the cal. it's job is just to retain the dates etc as mentioned previously. 

Offline Marvin

• Contributor
If you open the case it is instant calibration void (technically that is, of course if you have a new sticker etc you can close it and put a new sticker on it) - that's what I'm thinking - the manufacturing date on the box match the calibration date in the unit but the count is 2. Maybe they opened it before sending it out and fixed something? So it is officially factory calibrated but 2 times.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Marvin, an intriguing new Fluke 289 with 2 cal counts.

Any chance taking the photo of the tamper proof seal, or does it look similar to this example here, and also whats the firmware version it has in there ?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:59:26 pm by BravoV »

Offline Marvin

• Contributor
Here you go. I  bought the cable too and changed the owner name if you are wondering if it came like that - nope.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Marvin, thanks for the photos, looks legit to me, and its also has the latest firmware too.  :-+

Pretty sure its also came with the Fluke's factory calibration paper that has the exact date printed as in your meter info, right ? Example from my 287 -> HERE.

Well, at least you still have quite some time before the cap start to poo  :P since its quite new, congratulation, enjoy that good DMM.

PS : Suggesting NOT to use alkaline cells as it will leak as it happened to mine  >:(, good NiMH cells work just fine like Eneloop.

Offline Marvin

• Contributor
Yes, just like that. Only added LoZ and LoOhm measurements. Date/serial matches.

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
Interesting that yours shows 96% memory like other people reported. Mine shows 100% but I think I have the supercap problem since it loses the date and time each time I change batteries. It also drains batteries fast until it shows only two bars and then stays there (have eneloops now). I don't know if a problem supercap increases current drain :(

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
I don't know if a problem supercap increases current drain :(

Yes, a shorted cap will contribute to battery drain.  Mine would be completely dead in about a week without use on Alkaline batts.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf