Author Topic: Difference between HP / Agilent 435A and 435B Power Meters  (Read 113 times)

Offline TimYTTTTopic starter

Hello HP/Agilent fans and experts,

Can someone please explain me what is the difference between the  HP/Agilent 435A and 435B Power Meters?
Both power meters are of analog type, looking identical from the outside. For at least one sensor (HP 8484A) the HP recommends use of 435B power meter version only. I checked HP site and did not found any useful info about that.

Thanks for your help!

Offline johnk0gcj@gmail.com

• Contributor
Re: Difference between HP / Agilent 435A and 435B Power Meters
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:02:18 pm »

Good question. I've had a couple 435A's over the years and had seen but never had 435's, and had
assumed that the difference was the interchangeable scales on the 'A'. However, I recently obtained
another 'A' model, and it has the non-interchangeable scale. At first I thought someone had swapped
knobs with a non-working 435 until I realized that it has the marker where it belongs, just above the
outside circumference of the scale. The two 435a's are identical except one is a 1415A prefix with the
old style range indicator and the other is a 1629A prefix with the interchangeable scales. Apparently
the difference is other than what I've been able to detect without getting inside. Maybe when I get more
curious I'll do an inside examination.

The following users thanked this post: TimYTTT

Offline johnk0gcj@gmail.com

• Contributor
Re: Difference between HP / Agilent 435A and 435B Power Meters
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:19:29 pm »

After giving this a little thought I remembered from years ago that the 435's select the correct
indication by determining which power sensor is connected. If I recall correctly it uses 2 or 3
pins and corresponding wires in the cable to indicate which sensor. The interchangeable scales
remove the need to do the math.

The following users thanked this post: TimYTTT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf