Author Topic: Decent benchtop multimeter for beginner?  (Read 1033 times)

ledtester, bdunham7 and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline live2fish88Topic starter

• Contributor
Decent benchtop multimeter for beginner?
« on: Yesterday at 02:31:20 pm »
Hey guys. Looking for a new bench top meter. I don’t feel comfortable buying used unless from a reputable seller (but still prefer new). I have handhelds but would like a dedicated bench top unit. Trying to keep the price $300 or below.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Decent benchtop multimeter for beginner?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 02:34:46 pm »
For $300, you're better off getting something used. For $400, you can get a brand new SDM3045X.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:41:19 pm »
Do you want a benchtop for extra digits or just better aesthetics and ergonomics? Bigger, brighter digits etc.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:36:21 pm by wasedadoc »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 02:43:36 pm »
I'm planning on getting / trying a UT8805E from Uni-T. Otherwise the cheaper VC8145 is a good choice for being a no-nonsense bench DMM although the auto-ranging is a bit slow on these. I have been using the VC8145 for over a decade already as a daily driver.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline live2fish88Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 03:13:35 pm »
I saw the 3045x, 3055 and uni-t 8803e. Was wondering if cheaper was worth it or if I should pay more.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 03:19:32 pm »
I suggest you don't bother with these whatsoever. Budget bench multimeters are significantly worse than portable meters sold for the same price. For example UNI-T UT8803E that was mentioned is about as good as $40 or even cheaper portable meter.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 03:21:59 pm »
The SDM3045X is an EXCELLENT meter. I have mine upgraded to SDM3055X-E, but that's not possible (yet?) on all hardware versions (newer versions have a different firmware requirement).

In either case, it's a serious meter.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 03:28:32 pm »
I suggest you don't bother with these whatsoever. Budget bench multimeters are significantly worse than portable meters sold for the same price. For example UNI-T UT8803E that was mentioned is about as good as $40 or even cheaper portable meter.
The point is not the features but having a stackable, mains powered meter. Ofcourse you are going to pay extra for the bigger casing and mains power supply. And likely the volumes are lower so your share of the NRE costs are higher.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:34:59 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 03:31:34 pm »
If I want a benchtop it's for accuracy otherwise I prefer the handheld. More convenient to use.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 03:33:53 pm »
The point is not the features but having a stackable, mains powered meter. Ofcourse you are going to pay extra for the bigger casing and mains power supply.
OP did not say why he wants one, IMHO a beginner does not need one, especially on a tight budget. Mains powered is barely in advantage, batteries last for a very long time. And you'll make even less space on your likely cramped bench. There way more sensible tools that money can be spent on.

The following users thanked this post: voltsandjolts, Aldo22

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 03:35:46 pm »
If I want a benchtop it's for accuracy otherwise I prefer the handheld. More convenient to use.
It's literally less accuracy for the price. Unless you spend at least double of your budget, there won't be better accuracy than in portable meters.

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 03:44:50 pm »
Things like the $100 Owon XDM1041/1241 are a half way house. Not too big but easy to read upright display. More digits than a typical handheld but not in the $400 league.

The following users thanked this post: RAPo

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 04:06:24 pm »
It's literally less accuracy for the price. Unless you spend at least double of your budget, there won't be better accuracy than in portable meters.

The SDM3045X is a 66,000 count DMM firmware limited on what's actually 220,000 count hardware. DC accuracy is 0.06% + 8 counts. AC accuracy depends on voltage range and frequency, but the worst accuracy is 3% + 40 counts; best case is 0.6% + 10 counts.

The Fluke 87V, is 6,000 counts standard, 19,999 counts in high-resolution mode. DC accuracy is +/- 0.05% + 1 count. AC accuracy is +/- 0.7% + 2 counts. They don't give more detailed accuracy than that, I'm sure they only listed their best accuracy. I'd love to know the true range of accuracy for it.

Bottom line, the Fluke 87V costs more, and is maybe a tiny bit more accurate in a best case scenario, while also giving up other benefits of the less expensive bench meter.

If you match the price of the Fluke 87V, you can buy the SDM3055 instead. 220,000 counts. DC accuracy of 0.015% + 0.004 count. AC accuracy best case 0.2% + 0.05 count; worst case 3% + 0.05 count.

I do agree that doubling his budget gets a much better device. The SDM3065X is 2,200,000 counts. Accuracy± (% of Reading + % of Range). Worst DC accuracy is 0.0055+0.0008.  Best AC accuracy is 0.06+0.04, and worst is 4.00+0.50.

Offline Phil1977

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 04:16:36 pm »
Things like the $100 Owon XDM1041/1241 are a half way house. Not too big but easy to read upright display. More digits than a typical handheld but not in the $400 league.

Yes, the Owon 1x41 are nice with only two serious drawbacks:
- The Autorange is of the "stupid" kind. If a range is exceeded, it first shows Overload, then switches the range, then it shows 0.000, then it shows the actual value. Better meters get this done much faster.
- The AC-ranges switch to zero below 1% of their full range.

Beside that it´s a really convenient form factor. I like especially the 1241 because it needs no power cord and just sits on the table where you need it with a very clear and easy to read display.

What´s also nice in this price class is the SCPI interface.
Every time you think you designed something foolproof, the universe catches up and designs a greater fool.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 05:28:42 pm »

Many meters do that (or should do that) TRMS converters are inaccurate at low voltage levels.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 05:29:41 pm »
I have been using the VC8145 for over a decade already as a daily driver.

What  do you think is lacking in that meter? Why do you want to change?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 05:29:47 pm »
The SDM3045X is a 66,000 count DMM firmware limited on what's actually 220,000 count hardware. DC accuracy is 0.06% + 8 counts. AC accuracy depends on voltage range and frequency, but the worst accuracy is 3% + 40 counts; best case is 0.6% + 10 counts.
And you can buy Brymen BM869S for a little bit more than half the price of SDM3045X. With better resolution, precision and more robust input protection.

The Fluke 87V, is 6,000 counts standard, 19,999 counts in high-resolution mode. DC accuracy is +/- 0.05% + 1 count. AC accuracy is +/- 0.7% + 2 counts. They don't give more detailed accuracy than that, I'm sure they only listed their best accuracy. I'd love to know the true range of accuracy for it.
Comparing Siglent bench meter with Fluke handheld in this context is disingenuous to say the least.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:38:40 pm by wraper »

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 05:46:21 pm »
And you can buy Brymen BM869S for a little bit more than half the price of SDM3045X. With better resolution, precision and more robust input protection.
Agreed, the BM869S is a well respected meter. Again, I think they only list the best case accuracy. I would still like to see accuracy shown across the ranges like Siglent shows. I don't believe for a second these handhelds accuracies are equal across all ranges.

Comparing Siglent bench meter with Fluke handheld in this context is disingenuous to say the least.
Why? Because it sucks? It's the most popular handheld DMM. Or because all Flukes are overpriced? Fair enough. 😉

All that said, I personally prefer the bench format, as I'm almost always...on my bench.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 05:49:46 pm »
I have been using the VC8145 for over a decade already as a daily driver.
What  do you think is lacking in that meter? Why do you want to change?
The slow autoranging is becoming a bit of a nuisance. Other than that there is nothing wrong with it. I'm having quite a hard time finding a replacement without setting a budget.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:52:16 pm by nctnico »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 05:54:00 pm »
Why? Because it sucks? It's the most popular handheld DMM. Or because all Flukes are overpriced? Fair enough. 😉

All that said, I personally prefer the bench format, as I'm almost always...on my bench.
Because you compare premium priced industrial (largely electricians) portable meter where precision not a priority with Chinese bench meter.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 06:01:40 pm »

Many meters do that (or should do that) TRMS converters are inaccurate at low voltage levels.
They shouldn't do that, as it's just lying to try appear better.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 06:05:27 pm »
Because you compare premium priced industrial (largely electricians) portable meter where precision not a priority with Chinese bench meter.

Oh, it sucks because it's Chinese. Gotcha. Flukes are also made in Asia. They're "assembled" in the USA. Another part of the Fluke scam. 😉

Anyway, none of it matters since the OP specifically asked for a bench meter. 🤷

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 06:16:53 pm »
Agreed, the BM869S is a well respected meter. Again, I think they only list the best case accuracy. I would still like to see accuracy shown across the ranges like Siglent shows. I don't believe for a second these handhelds accuracies are equal across all ranges.\
You're right, that table shows base accuracy. Here is the full spec http://www.brymen.com/images/ProductsList/BM860s_List/BM860s_Catalog.pdf
SDM3045X is actually better over the range. However it's also over the stated budget quite a bit. There is no chance buying as accurate bench meter for the price of BM869.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 06:20:23 pm »
Agreed, the BM869S is a well respected meter. Again, I think they only list the best case accuracy. I would still like to see accuracy shown across the ranges like Siglent shows. I don't believe for a second these handhelds accuracies are equal across all ranges.\
You're right, that table shows base accuracy. Here is the full spec http://www.brymen.com/images/ProductsList/BM860s_List/BM860s_Catalog.pdf
SDM3045X is actually better over the range. However it's also over the stated budget quite a bit. There is no chance buying as accurate bench meter for the price of BM869.

Fair enough. But it's a great bench meter for the money. I wouldn't trade any of my bench meters for handhelds...unless I need to bring them somewhere with me. 😉

Another great thing about the Siglent meters, if you can find one used, but still within the 3-year warranty, it can be a great buy.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 06:23:18 pm »

Oh, it sucks because it's Chinese. Gotcha. Flukes are also made in Asia. They're "assembled" in the USA. Another part of the Fluke scam. 😉
Nope, because you compare very differently priced market segments. It's like comparing AMD Server CPU with Intel desktop CPU and making a conclusion that Intel offers more performance for the price.
Anyway, none of it matters since the OP specifically asked for a bench meter. 🤷
Op said he prefers a handheld meter but wants a bench meter for more accuracy. Which is an opposite of what you'll get for the money if you buy a bench meter within his budget.It was not OP
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:34:58 pm by wraper »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf